Poll: Would you want an afterlife to exist?
Yes
No
Undecided
I have no idea, I'm only voting so I don't feel left out
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
If you could choose whether or not an afterlife existed ................

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2013, 03:49 AM
RE: If you could choose whether or not an afterlife existed ................
(21-09-2013 12:27 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  ...and the ability to erase the unneeded parts of the memory to keep eternity fresh.

so like an eternal state of alzheimer Big Grin?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes H2O2's post
21-09-2013, 04:14 AM

No.

When I die, I want to rest in peace.

An eternal life would be meaningless. What would we do for an eternity? What would be our meaning in such a dimension of existence? Now that would be a meaningless life. I think the idea of heaven, apart from being an instrument of control, was conceived as some sort of a nostalgic feeling over the transience of temporal things. Like, "I wish this vacation lasted longer." So we imagine an eternal vacation. But we skip the fact that temporality is necessary, because it drives us forward. Novelty and challenge are important aspects of our appreciation of things.

Hear ye now, a parable of a cat and its owner: The man was waving a stick with a prey-shaped toy on top of it. The cat "hunted" it with great effort, but when the man stopped waving (as the felt dizzy - the cat actually belonged to his girlfriend with whom he lived, he didn't like cats, but that's altogether another matter), she caught the toy. As the toy was no longer "attempting" to escape, the cat lost interest and went to pester mice in the backyard instead. So it is with the humans.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Philosoraptor's post
21-09-2013, 05:12 AM
I had to vote "no" because there was no "FUCK NO" option. Tongue

Anyone thinks otherwise, ain't thinking, I'm thinking. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-09-2013, 04:46 PM
(20-09-2013 04:11 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Question says it all really, would you want an afterlife to exist? I'm not asking about any specific idea of an afterlife, just the general concept of continuing on as yourself after death.

Personally I would want one to exist (though I don't believe one does). I hate the idea that all of my thoughts and experiences (and me myself) will cease to exist one day. And I hate the idea of that happening to some other people in my life as well.

PS. The poll is a public one people, everyone else can see what you vote for.

No. I do NOT like the idea of living forever. This one is difficult enough.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
23-09-2013, 05:14 PM
I'll admit it. The only reason I want an afterlife is because I'm terrified of death. I'm sure it really isn't that bad considering that everyone dies, but the unfamiliarity of it frightens me. However, the idea of living for all of eternity seems like its own type of hell. My heart is begging for eternal life (or maybe reincarnation), but my brain screams that death is a much better option. Either way it doesn't really matter because it's not like I have a choice in the matter.
23-09-2013, 06:29 PM
No. That's probably some eternal thing that is comprised by it, and anything eternal would be a torture sooner or later. And in the case of eternity, however long before it becomes unbearable is sooner.
23-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Technically, no, I'd prefer to continue existing in my current physical state for as long as I wished, but compared to non-existence, yeah, I'd prefer existence to non-existence. The desire to continue on is in my DNA. I am however more interested in what is, not what I wish were so.

23-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Re: RE: If you could choose whether or not an afterlife existed ................
(20-09-2013 04:39 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yes, with the caveat that it be exactly as depicted in Grim Fandango.

If I can choose that I change my answer to yes daddyo.. Set with me on the sailing sun.

I'll Spend eternity as a skulltan beatnik!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
23-09-2013, 11:08 PM
GLOTIS!!!!

[Image: sigvacachica.png]