If you could go back in time...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 08:49 PM
If you could go back in time...
If you could go back in time and educate your younger self about the evils in the bible, would you do it. Personally, If I had known what I do now about the bible as a kid, my whole personality would have been changed. My parents didn't even let me have a bible until I was older, they said I was too young. However, they were still believers and convinced me it the bible was perfect and God was good. I wish I could go back and educate my younger self about it. However, it might have scarred me, I don't know.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MatureMcLeod95's post
09-05-2016, 09:46 PM
RE: If you could go back in time...
I would. It would save me from terrible nightmares.. and I wouldn't have been so judgmental..
09-05-2016, 09:57 PM
I honestly can't say for sure. Yes, the person that I am now is not proud of the person that I was when I believed the Bible, and I certainly didn't have the easiest time figuring out that a lot of what's in there is absolutely not worth my time. But the path that I took to free myself from religion has shaped me into who I now am. And honestly, I think I kinda like me now Smile
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
09-05-2016, 10:21 PM
I spent 18+ years going to Sunday school, and none of that time was spent learning about the actual history of the the Bible, the Abrahamic religions, or the early Christian debates that shaped many of the modern-day doctrinal differences between denominations. It was all just fluff. "Jesus loves you", "Jesus died for you, so you should always remember to find a reason to be ashamed of yourself", "save yourself for marriage", "don't hold hands with people of the same gender because Satan will tempt you into turning gay", "you're old enough that probably masturbating by now, but you should feel ashamed for doing it, and you should definitely feel ashamed for hiding your masturbation habits from your youth pastor," and "You are better than your school friends. Tell them how much better you are, and then ditch them, because they're getting in the way of your relationship with God."

I would love to have known the things I know now. I would have recognized it all as bullshit much sooner and gotten on with my life. I don't feel like Christianity ever prepared me for anything in life. It just gave me a lot of anxiety for no reason, and held me back socially, sexually, educationally, and definitely economically (shit, I could have bought so many N64 games with that 30+% of my allowance that my parents required me to give away as a "tithe.")

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
09-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Nah. I pretty much wrote the whole silly story off by the time I was 13. That hardly seems worth a time trip.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
11-05-2016, 02:23 AM
I spent so many years confused by the contradictions in scripture and lost so many hours on Thursdays (mandatory rehearsal) and Sundays (morning Mass) as an instrumentalist in the church choir from about age 10-17... I would have loved to have all that time back to perfect my baseball skills (or finish homework when high school came around). I hated the fake people in my church, I hated listening to priests tell me I had sinned EVERY WEEK, and I only put up with it because it was the social norm in Williamsburg, VA. As a fairly self-motivated kid, all I'd get from telling myself about the sham would be thousands of wasted hours of my life back for more constructive purposes...

Sent forth from the icy depths of my soul
11-05-2016, 05:11 AM
No. I doubt I'd be alive; my parents would have killed me trying to get the demon out. My childhood would have been 3x as miserable, and it was miserable enough already.
11-05-2016, 06:14 AM
If I could go back in time and meet my younger self, I will have also travelled into a parallel timeline (since I personally have no memory of meeting my future self when I was younger). While this fixes any loop paradoxes, it also means that there are likely other timelines where I wasn't educated by a future version of myself (like the timeline I came from), and would make my efforts seem ultimately futile