If you could tell a Christian how to be a better Christian...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-12-2011, 12:20 AM
RE: If you could tell a Christian how to be a better Christian...
For me there's a problem with the premise of your thread, KC. You're asking us not to criticize Christian beliefs, only the actions of Christians towards others. But doesn't belief inform action? How can you separate the two?

I'll give you an example.

If I were a fundamentalist, Bible-believing Christian, it seems clear I would believe what the NT says about Jesus being the way, the truth, and the life, and that there is no way to the Father but through Him. I would believe that non-Christians were doomed to a horrible fate in hell--a fate literally worse than death, for all eternity. And I would believe that it is my duty to spread the Gospel to whatever extent I can. (Those things are part of my understanding of Christianity. As always, if I'm wrong please let me know.)

Now suppose I were friends with some non-Christians that I loved or really, really liked, people I truly cared about. What should my behavior towards them be? Shouldn't I try to do everything in my power to bring them into Christianity? Wouldn't a "hands off" attitude towards them be an abdication of my responsibility? How would I feel if they were suddenly killed in a car crash without ever accepting Jesus, knowing that maybe if I had been more aggressive with them about Christianity I might have been able to head off the disaster of their being tortured in hell, which is where they are right now?

I probably sound like I'm channeling Kirk Cameron here, which is pretty funny. But my point is, given Cameron's beliefs, his aggressive proselytizing is consistent with those beliefs and perfectly understandable. My problem with him is not so much the way he behaves towards people, but rather the beliefs--in my view, reprehensible--that impel him to act the way he does. Because I have to grant that if nothing else, the guy is acting consistently with his faith. If I were to say to him, "Believe what you want, just don't go around shoving your beliefs in my face," I would in fact be asking him to act inconsistently with his beliefs, asking him to be a hypocrite.

So it seems to me that we can't shut up about the beliefs and only critique the behavior--because the beliefs are the source of the behavior.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
15-12-2011, 12:36 AM
The thing I don't like the most is early child indoctrination. Kids are 'sucked in' before they are even aware of their existance.
[+] 5 users Like imralav's post
15-12-2011, 02:01 AM
What to tell them? Just because the bible says doesn't mean it's right. People deserve to be treated fairly regardless of their race, gender, sexual preference, religion, ect.
That they need to start thinking for themselves instead of turning to the bible or god for help. That they need to believe in themselves and be proud of what they alone accomplished instead of giving credit to their god. That they need to stop listening to the pope and his crackpot ideas. That they need to work towards justice and peace for all. But most of all. I would tell them to open their eyes and take a good hard look at this world and how twisted it is. I want them to look at all the atrocities committed on an hourly basis and I want to ask themselves if this is all designed and made by some supreme god .... DO they want to worship such an obviously fucked up individual.
Any questions?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
15-12-2011, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2011 04:03 AM by evilflower.)
(15-12-2011 12:36 AM)imralav Wrote:  The thing I don't like the most is early child indoctrination. Kids are 'sucked in' before they are even aware of their existance.

As well as indoctrination of all other easy targets - the poor, the ill, the unhappy... etc., etc. - it's just dishonest. And thus un-Christian, right? Wink

By the way, I feel that active preaching is a contradiction to the "meekness" the Christianity teaches.
IMHO to be a better Christian, one should instead try to make his/her lifestyle a good example on how to live a happy Christian life.

Yes, I mean no Sunday school teaching too, so... sorry man Tongue
15-12-2011, 04:57 AM
Religion is like your penis: generally you should keep it to yourself, only use it in privacy and/or with consenting adults and you should never shove it down the throats of children.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 5 users Like Malleus's post
15-12-2011, 07:23 AM
(15-12-2011 04:57 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Religion is like your penis: generally you should keep it to yourself, only use it in privacy and/or with consenting adults and you should never shove it down the throats of children.

Don't know why people keep bringing this quote up. It's kinda yucky...
15-12-2011, 08:41 AM
I guess I was too vague.

What I was really wanting was Christians have a tendency to act no different from anyone else (hypocrisy) but have no problem with telling others how they should act.

I was wanting opinions on how this type of behavior molds your opinions about Christians in general.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-12-2011, 08:51 AM
If they feel they must save the unbelievers, then convince by example:
humility, poverty, service, loving kindness

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 5 users Like Peterkin's post
15-12-2011, 09:04 AM
To answer the initial question, DON'T LIE would be my simple way to improve how Christians deal with everything. Stop lying. If something comes along with proof accept it. It doesn't mean that there is no god as that is unprovable. It could just mean that whoever wrote the bible lied. There could even have still been a jesus, and some of the details were wrong (like there having been a jesus Smile ) it doesn't mean you have to throw away everything you get from your religion. But to stand in the face of evidence and lie is despicable. To lie to your children just so that they go through life thinking you're right, is despicable. Accept fact, and evolve your religion. It's happened throughout Christianity, so I'm not sure why it has recently become passe.
I guess it hasn't but for some reason the ones changing things seem to be going backwards along the evolutionary chain.

To answer the amended version of the question. I dislike it when my woman's parents get smug. Smug and self satisfied and always without any kind of reasonable justification. I have to wonder what reality looks like wearing their delusional goggles. I don't mean the delusion of god or jebus, but the delusion that says they are always right and no one else has any dominion on the right train. No matter what.
We've all encountered these people, who say one thing is wrong as they are doing it, but never admit that they themselves do this one thing. Or who have an argument, present no facts or evidence, somehow in the face of undeniable truth still assume they have won. They walk away with this sort of smug self satisfaction even though in reality they have actually just made a complete fool of themselves.
Strange reality indeed.

Luckily you really don't seem to be this way Kings, otherwise I don't know if you'd have become this forums top posting theist.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like lucradis's post
15-12-2011, 09:10 AM
(14-12-2011 09:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What would you tell them?
I'd tell them to become secular humanist.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 6 users Like Observer's post