If you could tell a Christian how to be a better Christian...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-12-2011, 10:57 AM
RE: If you could tell a Christian how to be a better Christian...
I'd tell them to read their Bible (both Old and New Testaments) from front to cover. If they're really Christians, they should at least take the time to read their bloody text. From what I've gathered, this is a sure-fire way of casting doubt on one's beliefs, but it also just makes sense to know where one's beliefs come from. For that matter, I'd tell them to do some research on their church's history and the history of Christianity and Judaism in general. In short, I wish Christians were more knowledgeable about their beliefs before they start proselytizing to others.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like SecularStudent's post
15-12-2011, 12:31 PM
(15-12-2011 09:10 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(14-12-2011 09:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What would you tell them?
I'd tell them to become secular humanist.
Secular: Although "secularism" is merely the opposite of "religious" I took the liberty to define it slightly different: A strict separation between religion and state. Since religion is a private matter, it should be separated from the state and it's laws. You can't force religion by law for the same reason you can't force a favourite colour by law.

Humanist: Whenever whatever you do, the well being of your fellow humans should be foremost on your mind. I choose human well-being above religious dogma's, human life, economic profits, scientific knowledge, nationalism, ...

Note that this nowhere collides with any Christian principle

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
16-12-2011, 12:53 PM
(15-12-2011 09:04 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Luckily you really don't seem to be this way Kings, otherwise I don't know if you'd have become this forums top posting theist.

Well, thank you. Other theists need to stick it out, though.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-12-2011, 03:59 PM
(16-12-2011 12:53 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-12-2011 09:04 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Luckily you really don't seem to be this way Kings, otherwise I don't know if you'd have become this forums top posting theist.

Well, thank you. Other theists need to stick it out, though.

They did. We cut it off Tongue
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
16-12-2011, 04:08 PM
(15-12-2011 12:31 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Secular: Although "secularism" is merely the opposite of "religious" I took the liberty to define it slightly different: A strict separation between religion and state. Since religion is a private matter, it should be separated from the state and it's laws. You can't force religion by law for the same reason you can't force a favourite colour by law.

Humanist: Whenever whatever you do, the well being of your fellow humans should be foremost on your mind. I choose human well-being above religious dogma's, human life, economic profits, scientific knowledge, nationalism, ...

Note that this nowhere collides with any Christian principle

I can't agree with your redefining these two words, or the phrase. Secular does not mean separation of church and state. A secular state is one that does not espouse or legislate any religion - and this is the necessary condition for separation of church and state. No collision there. However, a secular person is one who espouses no religion and does not believe in religion for him- or herself. Collision.

Humanism embraces free inquiry and a rejection of dogma and other things that do collide with Christianity. A Christion cannot be a secular humanist, although he will share some of the same values.

You shouldn't redefine well-understood terms as that obstructs communication - you're begging to be misunderstood.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Be nice to people who are going to hell. We're going to be suffering for all eternity. There's no need to make it start now.

My Blog
[+] 6 users Like dreamingfifi's post
16-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Quote:kingschosen Wrote: What would you tell them?

Tell them that being good has nothing to do with anyone else but themselves. There's nothing "awarded" or "promised"... no pat on the back, no attention... for goodness; just do good things and that will be satisfying enough.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-12-2011, 07:57 AM
@ kingchosen. Here is exactly the attitude a christian who approaches anyone should not show:

(17-12-2011 11:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  I look forward to some insightful and interesting conversations with the good people of this forum.
Not only can I hold my ground, I can take territory.

(17-12-2011 03:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, good - fresh meat.

You know, that's exactly what I thought when I found this forum! Shy

(17-12-2011 11:47 AM)ddrew Wrote:  Sounds like to me your starting to have doubts about your faith. If you were 100% true in your faith you wouldn't have made that statement... Think about it Smile
Your amongst a good group here. Hopefully you find what your looking for...

I don't believe anymore. I know. Sleepy

As second and third post in a forum he doesn't know yet...
Nice starter, eh.

nothing to add

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2011, 08:49 AM
(18-12-2011 07:57 AM)Leela Wrote:  @ kingchosen. Here is exactly the attitude a christian who approaches anyone should not show:

(17-12-2011 11:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  I look forward to some insightful and interesting conversations with the good people of this forum.
Not only can I hold my ground, I can take territory.

(17-12-2011 03:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, good - fresh meat.

You know, that's exactly what I thought when I found this forum! Shy

(17-12-2011 11:47 AM)ddrew Wrote:  Sounds like to me your starting to have doubts about your faith. If you were 100% true in your faith you wouldn't have made that statement... Think about it Smile
Your amongst a good group here. Hopefully you find what your looking for...

I don't believe anymore. I know. Sleepy

As second and third post in a forum he doesn't know yet...
Nice starter, eh.

nothing to add

Yeah, he's not making the best first impression, but it could be that he thinks he needs to be tough and assertive to gain respect in "hostile" territory.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-12-2011, 09:37 AM
First of all Kings, before teaching them about the bible and it's impact tell them you're giving them the best tool they could ever have and teach them logic. Teach them to ask questions about everything, even that which they see with their own eyes. Give them the information about what truly is verifiable. They will need this especially as the world expands.

Next, tell them that the word has been spread. Most of the world knows "the good news", there is no reason to set out and preach it. The times that they should spread it are when they are in conversation and it comes up.

Emphasize that the bible is an old book which has been the symbol of a faith, but tell them that the faith is more innate in everyone than inside that book. If you want good christians tell them that christianity is a cultural medium and part of why the book doesn't always make sense is because it is not the whole religion. Tell them to look to people before they look to the book. I know it's contradictory, but too many years have been spent bleeding that book of everything that an be bled out of it. Christians need to realize there is more to life than some ancient tome. Being a biblical scholar is not a "good" profession. They should live their lives.

I can suggest more later but I'll leave you with this.
Mathew 6
6:3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
6:4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
6:10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.