If you designed a god...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2013, 12:30 PM
RE: If you designed a god...
Our species has been inventing various gods for many thousands of years and so far we've been absolute failures at it. I think we have to accept the fact that since humans are flawed, we are therefore incapable of inventing a "god" and we should probably accept reality and stop trying.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heathen's post
18-03-2013, 12:59 PM
I think humans have designed enough gods and it's been a nightmare. But if I did design a god, she wouldn't be an asshole and nobody would kill or discriminate in her name and she wouldn't be so neglectful of her creation--in fact, she would make this world paradise because she's not a pretentious, power-hungry, vain god with low self-esteem who requires all worship her for no reason at all. She would be like a really sweet boss-parent combination, who looked out for you and let you succeed without giving her undue credit. She'd visit Earth once in a while (or would live here permanently, to always interact with and enjoy her creation), and allow us to explore space more efficiently. She would be competent enough to destroy evil, and not sadistic enough to allow it to exist while she sat on a throne in the sky and looked away. And humans, her precious creation, would not suffer because she just wouldn't allow it. The end.

Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries, and your theology out of my biology.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." --Dr. House
[+] 1 user Likes darthbreezy's post
18-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Well....

It would look like me, and agree with all of my beliefs. After that, whatever traits are necessary to make it harder to argue against and/or to make more people believe in it.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
18-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Take your pick boys and girls, no need to make one up...

The Top 10 Intelligent Designs (or Creation Myths) | LiveScience

Godchecker.com - Your Guide To The Gods. Mythology with a twist!

*I've posted these before but they are so much fun to look at!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-03-2013, 05:04 PM
(18-03-2013 11:53 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  At first I was really attracted to the fair judge model but upon further consideration, even that wouldn't work for me. A god with judging power is a mistake as we'd be at their mercy anyway. Anything with that kind of power is dangerous.

I prefer our current existence without gods. Even if we could define the traits of a god, I still think no god at all is best.

I know it... that's why I threw in the bit about it arbitrating only when asked. A god that judged everything you did, especially by its own arbitrary standard, would be unlovable. *cough*

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2013, 08:10 PM
If I designed a God, he would most surely be omniscient and omnipotent and all of that, but he would also have an omniscient/omnipotent wife who loved him and kept him honest. This God would love us, but not interfere physically with our universe much. Instead, this God would be there to ocasionally give advice on how to get along so that we had the time and focus to solve our own damn problems. As a result, this God would enjoy spending time with the "Little People" - talking and teaching.

This God would appreciate gratitude, but he wouldn't be the type to enjoy being worshiped. The people would build modest churches to the god where every now and then they would stop by and say thanks for the good advice and, once in a while, the god would materialize in the flesh and say "Your Welcome...it's my pleasure".

This God would take pleasure at watching humanity accomplish a great goal, and he'd send a congatulatory letter. Maybe he's write across the sky, "Good Job Guys...keep up the good work."

If anyone were to get so arrogant that they claimed they could speak for this God, then this God would deal with them harshly. This God would send his wife to nag the offender until they went half mad. This God would have a sense of humor, and so would his wife.

That's about all I can think of now.
18-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Mine would be an incomprehensible, incorporeal being who created the universe in an incomprehensible way for a reason we can never know. I think I would also have him impregnate a virgin, who will give birth to a kid who thinks he is is own dad. I'd probably also have the son killed on some sort of torture devise and then have him become a zombie. I'd tell people there was only one god sometimes but at other times there would be three of them, who are all the same person but different beings at the same time. And then, I'd tell people they didn't have to do anything good to be saved by my god, as long as they figured out which one they were supposed to love. And then, as an extra fun bit of mind fuckery, I'd tell people that even though they didn't have to be good to be saved, everything fun that they wanted to do would be bad and... that if they did bad shit, they would be sent to a Mexican discotheque for eternity.

On second thought, I think the disco idea might be a bit much...

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post
18-03-2013, 10:19 PM
my god would....

Give me the good vibes and health benefits of running 10 ks every day without me having to put the effort in to do it.

Give me the personality and the looks to be attractive to all beautiful women, and not allow them to get jealous of eachother.

Give me the time and the means to sit in a bar with my friends, half pissed, listening to jazz and talking philosophy, but never have a hangover.

Buy me a ducati diavel and an alfa romeo 159 2.4 turbo diesel...both red...and ones that never break down.

Destroy all bag pipes and drum machines.

Destroy Macdonalds and KFC.

Make fresh fruit, fresh meat and fish and fresh vegetables compulsory for all school children.

Let me live 1000 years.

Cure cancer and AIDS and mental iillness.

Blow up the Vatican. And all the Jehovah Witness churches.
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
19-03-2013, 12:58 AM
She would get me tickets to the Kentucky Derby, (and tell me who was gonna win). Is that so frickin much to ask ? Damnit god.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-03-2013, 06:36 AM
You people are so demanding. No wonder why you ain't got no god. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]