If you ever believed, were there any aspects of God you were reluctant to let go?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2017, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2017 04:18 PM by whateverist.)
If you ever believed, were there any aspects of God you were reluctant to let go?
Thought I'd try asking the question straight out and leave off making a poll.

If you ever did believe in the Christian god, was there anything about it you were reluctant to part with in becoming an atheist?

For me, I mostly liked the idea that there was some eternal witness to all that had transpired with whom I might converse after death. I think giving up the closure that such a conversation might bring actually bothered me more than the idea that there wouldn't be any afterlife.

My own concept of the biblical god was woefully incomplete, basically filled in by my own imagination after a brief exposure to church before beginning school. I just thought of God as the morally best, ancient, cosmic subject-hood. I never worried about the horrors of hell for some reason. I just never dwelled on the idea of God as judge and punisher, and if anyone had brought it up I probably would have doubted it. When I thought there would be an afterlife I assumed everyone got in inevitably.

So for me the big loss was the anticipation of hanging with the ancient wise one. That really was the main thing I was reluctant to walk away from.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
06-09-2017, 04:58 PM
RE: If you ever believed, were there any aspects of God you were reluctant to let go?
I suspect that the loss of an idea of an afterlife in heaven would be high on the list of things ex-believers will have missed. On the other hand, there is also no possibility of an afterlife in hell in eternal torment to worry about.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
06-09-2017, 05:25 PM
RE: If you ever believed, were there any aspects of God you were reluctant to let go?
(06-09-2017 04:58 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I suspect that the loss of an idea of an afterlife in heaven would be high on the list of things ex-believers will have missed. On the other hand, there is also no possibility of an afterlife in hell in eternal torment to worry about.

Yep, that's the one thing I wish were true more than anything else. It's hard to deal with that our mortality is finite, but that is the reality whether we try to candy-coat it with our fantasies or not.

To truly contemplate eternity would be to understand that anything can become intolerable given enough time, we are not immortal and our brains couldn't cope with it.

It does give some assurance that no one is deserving of hell and no one will ever be in such a place.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
06-09-2017, 06:05 PM
I liked the idea of true justice after death.

However, I should have realized that was an impossibility with the whole heaven-and-hell scheme.

Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
06-09-2017, 06:46 PM
It was hard to accept the idea that I would die instead of being Raptured up at some point. Which is funny, because I never quite liked the descriptions of Heaven and eternal life.

No aspects of god appealed to me from about age 10 on. I already had a cranky, abusive dad and didn't need another.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
06-09-2017, 06:47 PM
(06-09-2017 06:05 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I liked the idea of true justice after death.

However, I should have realized that was an impossibility with the whole heaven-and-hell scheme.

Evil_monster
I'd say the notion of closure / justice or as I think The Revelation puts it, "every tear will be wiped away" is the only appealing notion out of Christianity that I missed a bit. I will die with loose ends, unrealized dreams, disappointments (but thankfully not regrets). That these will not be somehow resolved or made right sucks and blows. However, other than this momentary catharsis (assuming of course it were actually magically and literally and un-ironically delivered) I find little about an infinite afterlife attractive. And I found nearly all the benefits of Christianity in this life to be bogus. So the only thing that was difficult was the adjustment away from old habits and go-to rationalizations, and the patient work required to free my mind of old thought habits and carefully rethink all my assumptions. It was worth it, though. I'm much more at peace now than I ever was in my theist daze. And since it's most likely that oblivion awaits me at the end of my path, any loose ends will not be a concern to me anyway. I will finally be beyond the reach of all forms of suffering.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
06-09-2017, 08:53 PM
The concept of a "soul." It's hard to explain since even then I didn't believe in a heaven or hell. Now I guess I think of the "soul" more like it's the essence of an individual's being. Not something that survives death, but innate. Again, hard to explain.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
06-09-2017, 09:00 PM
I liked *Saint* Thomas Aquinas' (the "angelic doctor" Weeping ) idea that those in heaven get to see their enemies roast in hell "thus to increase their joy" by seeing them suffer. Tongue
(Just kidding).

I can't really think of a thing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-09-2017, 09:19 PM
I never was more than mild believer thanks to parents failure to indoctrinate me so there was no reluctance in leaving absurd called faith.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
06-09-2017, 10:30 PM
(06-09-2017 08:53 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  The concept of a "soul." It's hard to explain since even then I didn't believe in a heaven or hell. Now I guess I think of the "soul" more like it's the essence of an individual's being. Not something that survives death, but innate. Again, hard to explain.

I can identify with that. I've never had trouble attaching meaning to the word "soul", but it is exactly what you say here - nothing to do with any woo beyond the grave.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle