If you ever believed, were there any aspects of God you were reluctant to let go?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2017, 11:24 PM
RE: If you ever believed, were there any aspects of God you were reluctant to let go?
Omnibenevolence, still have't let it go. Tongue

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2017, 01:19 AM
RE: If you ever believed, were there any aspects of God you were reluctant to let go?
No. The whole God concept never made any sense to me. Sleepy
07-09-2017, 02:21 AM
I've never been religious, and I could only ever like any aspects of a "God" if it's one that isn't supposed to have unlimited power. I could then potentially see them as trying their best, in whatever capacity. I still wouldn't be interested in worship, but I could get behind them, so to speak.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
07-09-2017, 06:18 AM
When you deal with someone and you've got absolutely no good news or upside.
When people hit rock bottom, if finding god helps I say "good for you".
This hurricane is a good example.
A lot of people find comfort in praying.
Because there just isn't really much else you can do.
I shut up about that.
There is a time and a place for rationality and that isn't it.
Whatever gets them through I say.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
07-09-2017, 08:01 AM
(06-09-2017 04:15 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Thought I'd try asking the question straight out and leave off making a poll.

If you ever did believe in the Christian god, was there anything about it you were reluctant to part with in becoming an atheist?

For me, the hardest part was just admitting to myself that I didn't believe. Once I got to that point, there was a six-month period where I pretty much didn't believe, but I was scared that I might be failing a test, or something. So, I basically didn't believe in God, but was still scared of hell. It was weird, but certainly not fun.

Once I got over that, I was able to just let it all go. I did find myself months later questioning what I now believed about different things, because I'd always approached those beliefs from a Christian viewpoint. I remember months later thinking about heaven for the first time, thinking "I guess I'm not immortal anymore". It was mildly depressing, but I knew that had no bearing on reality.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
07-09-2017, 08:50 AM
(06-09-2017 04:15 PM)whateverist Wrote:  For me, I mostly liked the idea that there was some eternal witness to all that had transpired with whom I might converse after death. I think giving up the closure that such a conversation might bring actually bothered me more than the idea that there wouldn't be any afterlife.

This basically for me; that there was something watching that would know the truth about things that happened; although I admit some of my questions would be kind of lame when you think "big picture". Like I'm big into unsolved mysteries, especially murders and disappearances so I'd basically be asking a bunch of question on what really happened in a ton of cases.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post