Arkansas
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
[Show Results]

If you had to choose one of these states to live in, which one would it be?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2015, 07:56 PM
RE: If you had to choose one of these states to live in, which one would it be?
(03-03-2015 07:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 07:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yabut, you're gay.

So ? North Atlanta is as happy as San Francisco. Tongue

Yabut, tell me about Savannah. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2015, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2015 08:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-03-2015 07:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I never heard Kentucky mentioned with regard to exceptional health care.

Best healthcare system in the country thanks to the ACA and a Democrat Governor with testicles.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-03-2015, 08:26 PM
(03-03-2015 07:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 07:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And chicken.

I never heard Kentucky mentioned with regard to exceptional health care.
Ever.

They gots some 'spensive hosses.

And don’t forget Noah’s Ark Rolleyes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
03-03-2015, 08:27 PM
I ran out of options. That's why I didn't have Kentucky on the list.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-03-2015, 08:31 PM
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas. Sleepy

By the way, y'all should all choose Texas - 'cause I lives here. Hobo Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
03-03-2015, 10:39 PM
(03-03-2015 08:31 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas. Sleepy

By the way, y'all should all choose Texas - 'cause I lives here. Hobo Tongue

I suppose that could be called a reason.

Not sure if it's a particularly convincing one, however... Consider

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-03-2015, 10:48 PM
(03-03-2015 07:48 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 07:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And chicken.

And bourbon. Yes

KC, I'm interested why kansas wasn't on the list. Not quite nutty enough.....or too nutty? (or did you just want to keep it top 10 and ran out of batshit crazy states to list?) Hobo

edit: wait, there's eleven. are we just too boring to even mention?

Well, note that all the states he listed are considered "southern" states. Kansas, not so much.
03-03-2015, 11:14 PM
Mississippi!

Why?

1. It is the most religious state!

2. This quote for the top 10 most scary places to be an atheist.
Quote: I could say a lot about Mississippi. For instance, I could talk about how, when the Second Chance Prom was being organized for lesbian student Constance McMillan, the state chapter of the freaking ACLU refused to take money from the American Humanist Association and the Stiefel Freethought Foundation... because it was atheist money. I shit you not. In an e-mail message to AHA, Jennifer Carr, the fundraiser for the ACLU of Mississippi, said, "Although we support and understand organizations like yours, the majority of Mississippians tremble in terror at the word 'atheist.'" The ACLU would later apologize and accept the money; but, as Maggie Ardiente of the AHA, puts it, "We were very disappointed to see an organization that's famously known for standing up for everyone's rights -- including the right to be an atheist or humanist -- initially discriminate against us."

That's reasonably messed-up. But I want to focus instead on a much more practical, nuts-and-bolts, life-screwing-up form of anti-atheist bigotry -- child custody.

It is depressingly common for atheists to have child custody limited, or even denied, explicitly on the basis of their atheism. Cases have been documented again and again and again, in states including Michigan, Minnesota, Arkansas, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Texas. But according to Eugene Volokh of The Volokh Conspiracy, "Mississippi is the most serious offender." Volokh goes on to say, "In 2001, for instance, the Mississippi Supreme Court upheld an order giving a mother custody partly because she took the child to church more often than the father did, thus providing a better 'future religious example.' In 2000, it ordered a father to take the child to church each week, as a [lower] Mississippi court ordered... reasoning that 'it is certainly to the best interests of [the child] to receive regular and systematic spiritual training.'"

Try to imagine a judge in this country denying or limiting custody to a parent, explicitly and specifically, because they were Jewish. Because they were Mormon. Because they were Baptist. And now, try to imagine a judge in this country denying or limiting custody to a parent, explicitly and specifically because they're an atheist. You don't have to imagine it. This is real. This happens. And it happens in Mississippi more than anywhere else in the country.

3. Mississippi NEEDS us. Seriously. Why do you think those places are so messed up in their morals, crime rates, drugs and everything else etc, despite having such high religious people? They need more Atheists and free thinkers to stay behind, challenge them and change their minds one person at a time. Only by changing the worst of the worst in the bible belt can we make the whole country better.

Imagine if half the atheists in the U.S moved to the bible belt. In about what I reckon would be about five or ten years or so and we could change and educate enough people to make them all as pleasant as Massachusetts or Oregon!

Then when we all move out back, the ones we left behind would all keep it going!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
03-03-2015, 11:14 PM
None of my favorites are there Sad

Alaska, Washington, Vermont, Maine, Colorado, Arizona...

But out of the options, guess I'd go with Texas.

'Murican Canadian
04-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Western NC and eastern TN are actually quite beautiful. I could live in Asheville or Knoxville as havens within the bible belt. I lived in TX, had to travel all of it. Never again.
[+] 2 users Like freetoreason's post