If you had to deal with the disgusting shit I had to this morning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 08:46 AM
RE: If you had to deal with the disgusting shit I had to this morning
(04-03-2014 08:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Do you think the sheep would have had this problem if it had not been breed to have traits beneficial to humans?

Because maggots don't do this to non-domesticated animals? This comment is so drenched in ignorance it makes my hair hurt. Please please please think just a tiny bit before you post on this forum. I don't give a crap what you post elsewhere, but kittens die when you post here

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
05-03-2014, 08:52 AM
(05-03-2014 08:46 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 08:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Do you think the sheep would have had this problem if it had not been breed to have traits beneficial to humans?

Because maggots don't do this to non-domesticated animals? This comment is so drenched in ignorance it makes my hair hurt. Please please please think just a tiny bit before you post on this forum. I don't give a crap what you post elsewhere, but kittens die when you post here

What about the comment is ignorant? I too am curious if this condition occurs often in the wild or if it's a result of domestication. (Thanks, BTW, to Dom who actually answered).

Pip, does this happen often? I'm curious because my wife and I hope to raise a few sheep of our own in the next couple years. Is there a preventative, or is it "just one of those things", like so many others on the farm. (Kinda like dealing with chickens who can't seem to figure out shitting in the nest is a bad thing)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
05-03-2014, 09:05 AM
(05-03-2014 08:45 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I was thinking about getting some sheep to keep the grass down in my field and for eaten. Are they easy to take care of? I don't want to be dealing with maggots. I need a variety of sheep without a lot of wool.

"For eaten". Are you planning on chewing them, like cows chew their cud ? Facepalm
We don't like dealing with maggots either, which is why it was nice when you were "missing".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-03-2014, 09:12 AM
(04-03-2014 07:02 PM)Pippen Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 06:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  What happened?

Huh

Opps sorry. It's pretty gross. Boys on her in particular might not like it.

Warning. Disgusting shit ahead. Back out now if you are eating dinner.

OK. Had to go to my parents farmlet as dad had a fly blown sheep he needed a hand with. Basically when they get a shitty backside flies come in and lay eggs in the wool which then turn into maggots which burrow into the sheep's flesh. In this case it was in the testicles. It is fucking disgusting. So you have to get it to the ground and shear the wool off and kill the maggots and but a treatment powder on. Poor fucking sheep. It must be so painful and drive them absolutely mad.

Now I can understand that flies play a role in decomposition and the cycle of life but it plays no role on a living animal. Humans, Ok I know they are used to clean out wounds and were used to great effect on necrotic flesh during WW2 esp for Japanese POW's, but on a poor animal? To subject it to that kind of suffering, who would enact that as part of a greater plan?

Just a small observation but when you are dealing with it you start to think "For fucking real? This is is just so wrong."

Anyway the sheep is fine now.
I agree. It's totally wrong that any god would make all these nice living things which, instead of just existing in harmony, literally feed on one another. Really great "design" there gawd. Rolleyes

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
05-03-2014, 09:17 AM
(05-03-2014 08:23 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Lewis Black said it best in his standup back in 2005 ---

"If there was a just and loving God he'd not allow this shit to go down!"

(insert insanity and apply Lewis's words)Evil_monster

Don't forget the pointy finger.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
05-03-2014, 09:40 AM
(05-03-2014 08:52 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 08:46 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Because maggots don't do this to non-domesticated animals? This comment is so drenched in ignorance it makes my hair hurt. Please please please think just a tiny bit before you post on this forum. I don't give a crap what you post elsewhere, but kittens die when you post here

What about the comment is ignorant? I too am curious if this condition occurs often in the wild or if it's a result of domestication. (Thanks, BTW, to Dom who actually answered).

Pip, does this happen often? I'm curious because my wife and I hope to raise a few sheep of our own in the next couple years. Is there a preventative, or is it "just one of those things", like so many others on the farm. (Kinda like dealing with chickens who can't seem to figure out shitting in the nest is a bad thing)

If you want sheep for meat and not wool, get Barbados sheep. These are hair sheep and require no shearing and in 15 years of keeping them I have never had a single health issue with any of them. They also produce twins and even triplets, while wool sheep only produce single lambs.

The maggot thingie happens if and when a sheep eats something that causes the stool to become runny, and this happens to happen at a time when there is a lot of wool, and it happens at a time when it is warm enough for insects to proliferate and there happen to be insects around to take advantage .

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-03-2014, 09:48 AM
(05-03-2014 09:40 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 08:52 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  What about the comment is ignorant? I too am curious if this condition occurs often in the wild or if it's a result of domestication. (Thanks, BTW, to Dom who actually answered).

If you want sheep for meat and not wool, get Barbados sheep. These are hair sheep and require no shearing and in 15 years of keeping them I have never had a single health issue with any of them. They also produce twins and even triplets, while wool sheep only produce single lambs.

The maggot thingie happens if and when a sheep eats something that causes the stool to become runny, and this happens to happen at a time when there is a lot of wool, and it happens at a time when it is warm enough for insects to proliferate and there happen to be insects around to take advantage .

We have Barbados sheep, .. we only have about 10. It was actually one of the sets of twins that I credit with bringing my little brother out of his "marginal" autism when they bonded, when he was very young. They actually let him "shampoo" them, once in a while during the Summer. It was hilarious to watch. A spa day for the sheep. Dodgy I'll try to find my pics of it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Well we were thinking some sheep for wool (just our own, we don't really want to sell a bunch), but my wife just informed me that she has long since decided to go with an alpaca lol. .....keep in mind these are long term dreams, not near future goals......

For meat and dairy we are getting a goat. For the first year or two we will eat our yearly kid, and if we come to prefer goat meat, we may get a boer or two. And when that time comes (likely this summer) poor Doms gunna have one full inbox!

Back on track......so the poopy rump thing IS likely due to our selective breeding. Interesting Consider could the next step be breeding a sheep that grows lots of wool, with the exception of the problem area? Start with sheep that have extra wooly shoulders and go from there?

Ok....now I want sheep.

05-03-2014, 10:41 AM
(05-03-2014 10:36 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Well we were thinking some sheep for wool (just our own, we don't really want to sell a bunch), but my wife just informed me that she has long since decided to go with an alpaca lol. .....keep in mind these are long term dreams, not near future goals......

For meat and dairy we are getting a goat. For the first year or two we will eat our yearly kid, and if we come to prefer goat meat, we may get a boer or two. And when that time comes (likely this summer) poor Doms gunna have one full inbox!

Back on track......so the poopy rump thing IS likely due to our selective breeding. Interesting Consider could the next step be breeding a sheep that grows lots of wool, with the exception of the problem area? Start with sheep that have extra wooly shoulders and go from there?

Ok....now I want sheep.

You don't have one Alpaca - or one Llama either. Gotta have at least two and not two males.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Yes, two alpaca, and they will likely cohabitate with the goat and a donkey (long story).