If you had to deal with the disgusting shit I had to this morning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 02:07 PM
RE: If you had to deal with the disgusting shit I had to this morning
(05-03-2014 01:47 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 11:38 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Mmmmm....I dunno bout that. We may both need to do a little more research, but I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of animals would not leave maggots in wounds, since they would habitually clean the area themselves, no?

I'm not saying man bred sheep that were susceptible to maggot infestations necessarily. But I am suggesting that the maggot infestations that are common in sheep may very well be a direct result of the way we breed them. I mean shit, if this particular animal were left without human intervention, it would likely die, and certainly lose it's ability to reproduce. I think without us, sheep would very quickly evolve to NOT get maggotty bums.

Is the difference so subtle that I'm arguing semantics? I'm highly medicated so I may not be making as much sense as I think I am. lol

Perhaps we are arguing different points. I don't disagree that the domestication of this breed may make it susceptible to maggots in a particular part of its anatomy. However, if it had a wound or if its hair was very matted at any point of the year my point is that it would then be susceptible anyway. Maybe I was looking at Haywood's post incorrectly but maggots are a risk for any animal with or without domestication.

Maggots eat any flesh and hence any flesh is susceptible to maggots.

The point I was making is that, in the example given by the OP, the selective breeding humans conducted on sheep made them more susceptible to have maggots invading the anus. That is all.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2014, 07:59 PM
This is the kind of time when I wish dad was still around. I could get the large animal vet point of view.

I know I saw some gross crap going on calls with him when I was a kid. Nasty, nasty goings on...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-03-2014, 05:48 AM
(05-03-2014 08:52 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 08:46 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Because maggots don't do this to non-domesticated animals? This comment is so drenched in ignorance it makes my hair hurt. Please please please think just a tiny bit before you post on this forum. I don't give a crap what you post elsewhere, but kittens die when you post here

What about the comment is ignorant? I too am curious if this condition occurs often in the wild or if it's a result of domestication. (Thanks, BTW, to Dom who actually answered).

Pip, does this happen often? I'm curious because my wife and I hope to raise a few sheep of our own in the next couple years. Is there a preventative, or is it "just one of those things", like so many others on the farm. (Kinda like dealing with chickens who can't seem to figure out shitting in the nest is a bad thing)

You can spray them for it and drench them (If you see the price of drench you would have a fit. You may as well feed them gold ingots) which helps but it is pretty much a given that some will get it and when they do you need a strong stomach and a steady hand. If you haven't had any experience with sheep I would stay well away. Goats are easier in some regards, but they need their feet done unless you have some big rocks for them to jump around on to wear their hooves down and some bloody impressive fences to keep the buggers in. Also it depends were you live. If other people around you have them then you could split the cost on shearing them, drenched and the like. For just a couple, nah. Wouldn't do it.
06-03-2014, 06:02 AM
(05-03-2014 09:48 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 09:40 AM)Dom Wrote:  If you want sheep for meat and not wool, get Barbados sheep. These are hair sheep and require no shearing and in 15 years of keeping them I have never had a single health issue with any of them. They also produce twins and even triplets, while wool sheep only produce single lambs.

The maggot thingie happens if and when a sheep eats something that causes the stool to become runny, and this happens to happen at a time when there is a lot of wool, and it happens at a time when it is warm enough for insects to proliferate and there happen to be insects around to take advantage .

We have Barbados sheep, .. we only have about 10. It was actually one of the sets of twins that I credit with bringing my little brother out of his "marginal" autism when they bonded, when he was very young. They actually let him "shampoo" them, once in a while during the Summer. It was hilarious to watch. A spa day for the sheep. Dodgy I'll try to find my pics of it.

That would be great if you can find it. They really are fabulous animals.
06-03-2014, 07:59 AM
(06-03-2014 06:02 AM)Pippen Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 09:48 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We have Barbados sheep, .. we only have about 10. It was actually one of the sets of twins that I credit with bringing my little brother out of his "marginal" autism when they bonded, when he was very young. They actually let him "shampoo" them, once in a while during the Summer. It was hilarious to watch. A spa day for the sheep. Dodgy I'll try to find my pics of it.

That would be great if you can find it. They really are fabulous animals.

Yeah, the Barbados are great, no drenching, no hoof issues, and they can get really sweet. All of ours died of old age - the last one passed last year and he was 20 years old.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man