If you had to pick a religion, what would it be?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2012, 01:38 PM
RE: If you had to pick a religion, what would it be?
Now, see, it's never cool to go pouring kerosene on a bonfire like that. In fact, I bet you've already been quote-mined on a dozen theist sites. Something like this:

(17-09-2012 01:04 PM)Impulse Wrote:  atheism is a religion

It's better to keep a tight lid on those cans of worms...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2012, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2012 02:00 PM by depat.)
OK, I'll go with the "had to," but I must set up a simple compelling scenario.
Suddenly, all the political powers on earth (this keeps me from having to move to another country) are holding knives, or some deadly weapon, at the throats/heads of all unbelievers informing them to profess a higher power and claim some form of affilation to a religious dogma concerning that power and to name that affiliation, and because I'd rather not die, I will choose--Bahi, because those damned Buddhists have a history of sexism in their lack of inclusion of women as equals. I confess that I might eventually betray myself as I would have a serious internal, ethical conflict if someone asked me to pray for them. I hate intentional deciet. But then, I would be looking at that knife again--not a big delimma when I can think of other more worthy causes to die for like burnning the American flag as protest because the law told me I can't while living in Bubba Land, College Station--home of the AGGIES, yikes1
Thanks, this was fun!
17-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Probably Luciferianism.

Not for any logical reason, but mainly because in the past few days I've been really intrigued by some earlier albums by "Draconian". They're concept albums that tell the story of Lucifer who rebels against the tyranical dictatorship in Heaven. It's a fascinating and enthralling story that's told so beautifully through the music.

Once that passes, though, I'll probably tell you that all religions are stupid and I'm content to keep free from them entirely. Smile

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2012, 03:02 PM
(17-09-2012 01:38 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Now, see, it's never cool to go pouring kerosene on a bonfire like that. In fact, I bet you've already been quote-mined on a dozen theist sites. Something like this:

(17-09-2012 01:04 PM)Impulse Wrote:  atheism is a religion

It's better to keep a tight lid on those cans of worms...

LOL, but it beats having to choose a religion. Cool

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
17-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Gwyneth Paltronism? Is there no term for that? Huh
17-09-2012, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2012 05:56 PM by GirlyMan.)
Bobism.

There are only 2 real religions. Bobism and Billys.

(17-09-2012 04:05 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Gwyneth Paltronism? Is there no term for that? Huh

"Gwynnies" assumes all possible roles in the English language as well as all possible meaning.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-09-2012, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2012 05:55 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I would be a Buddhist. As a former Asian Studies major, I have studied the history and art of the religion for many years. In fact, I have a very lovely framed painting of a Buddhist Wheel of Life on my wall. Here is a crappy photo that doesn't do the piece justice.

[Image: tibetanbuddhistwheelofl.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Definitely wicca, since I already follow their overall law.
[+] 1 user Likes zeldamaster17's post
17-09-2012, 06:29 PM
(17-09-2012 05:53 PM)zeldamaster17 Wrote:  Definitely wicca, since I already follow their overall law.

Plus those skyclad rituals... Though that can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the coven in question...

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
17-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Asatru.

I still get called Heathen, though. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]