If you're going to San Francisco....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2015, 09:40 AM
RE: If you're going to San Francisco....
I've lived here 58 years since age 2 and have never tired of any of it, especially the view from any of its innumerable heights and from an airplane. But I don't live in the City itself which probably accounts for why I've never tired of it. And I've learned to avoid taking the car into it - BART, taxi, Muni, ferry and walking are more than sufficient for getting anywhere you need to get to - it's a fairly small burg: you can't go very far in any direction before getting your feet wet in either the Bay or the ocean.

Then there's Davies Hall and the Symphony, presently led by MTT, that makes any thought of departure for someplace "more promising" instantly absurd.

And the place is a magnet for high intellect; the City's one and only "mega" church is Glide Memorial of 3,000 or so, most of whom are the donors of its annual Thanksgiving feast offered for free to all comers. Even Honolulu's got a church nearly 4 times bigger, and everybody's at the beach in Honolulu.

That's the other nice feature - none of San Francisco's beaches are ever crowded; most of the time they're practically deserted. But then perpetual fog and surf at a perpetually tepid 45 degrees (7 degrees C) might have some influence on the perpetual lack of attendance Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
13-07-2015, 09:51 AM
That's right, AK I forgot you were from CA too Smile Have you ever been to the American Conservatory Theater--it's one of my favorite places to see a play. I also love a good brunch at The Cliff House. Such pretty views! Lots of vegan restaurants in SF too. SF really is a nice city. But it is a city. You are going to get a little grit in a city--imo, it's part of its charm.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
13-07-2015, 11:45 PM
(13-07-2015 09:51 AM)jennybee Wrote:  ... Have you ever been to the American Conservatory Theater ...

Not yet - but I have seen BB Babylon twice, or maybe 3 times. And someplace near Market I saw Yul Brynner in The King and I - years ago, probably 1985. I've tried the Sing It Yourself Messiah a few Xmases, dragged there by my girlfriend, but I'd much rather listen to than damage good music by trying to add my voice to it.

Brunch at Lordships on the Berkeley Marina is always a treat, with nice views (not as dramatic as the surf smashing into the cliffs at Cliff House, but also without the harsh din of the sea lions). Expensive - but then what isn't, around here.

I do know the best Sushi house in the area: Toki's, in Foster City. My epicurean friend in Wash DC found Toki's and while it may have equals yet unfound on the streets of the City, there's no point trying to find them once you've found Toki's.

Do vegans do sushi? Is roe OK? If the only thing served at Toki's were paper napkins cut up with a seaweed and ginger garnish they'd be sensational.

Now I'm hungry. This place is hell on diets Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
13-07-2015, 11:51 PM
(13-07-2015 11:45 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(13-07-2015 09:51 AM)jennybee Wrote:  ... Have you ever been to the American Conservatory Theater ...

Not yet - but I have seen BB Babylon twice, or maybe 3 times. And someplace near Market I saw Yul Brynner in The King and I - years ago, probably 1985. I've tried the Sing It Yourself Messiah a few Xmases, dragged there by my girlfriend, but I'd much rather listen to than damage good music by trying to add my voice to it.

Brunch at Lordships on the Berkeley Marina is always a treat, with nice views (not as dramatic as the surf smashing into the cliffs at Cliff House, but also without the harsh din of the sea lions). Expensive - but then what isn't, around here.

I do know the best Sushi house in the area: Toki's, in Foster City. My epicurean friend in Wash DC found Toki's and while it may have equals yet unfound on the streets of the City, there's no point trying to find them once you've found Toki's.

Do vegans do sushi? Is roe OK? If the only thing served at Toki's were paper napkins cut up with a seaweed and ginger garnish they'd be sensational.

Now I'm hungry. This place is hell on diets Tongue

I eat sushi that has no fish in it like cucumber rolls that sort of thing. I also get inari which is a rice tofu concoction. And most places also have really good veggie dumplings.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi