If you're not working with the Lord, I can't buy my stuff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 12:53 AM
If you're not working with the Lord, I can't buy my stuff
Well then. I've been gone for a while! Found this forum via my husband, posted a time or two, then went about my merry way. I'm back, and want to share a little something.

So, the subject is the "punchline" so to speak of an incident that happened to my husband, gacatmandu. He's a cashier at Walmart.

A lady in his line was talking about the Lord with the customers ahead of her. So when she gets up to the register she starts to ask him "Sir, do you know Jesus....?" and he had to cut her off and said I'm working on the clock, I can't talk about that right now. So her response?

Well if you're not working with the Lord I can't buy my stuff.

The person behind her stood up for him by reiterating that he's not supposed to talk about that stuff while on the clock. Didn't matter. She left without her stuff.

At first I was just flabbergasted, then asked how old and wrinkled this woman was because surely only an old ass biddy would pull this crap. Nope, late 20's. The more I thought about it, the more it pissed me off. Somewhat because a bigot is a bigot is a bigot, but mostly because the obvious sense of superiority she carries. It didn't happen to me, yet it has really been irritating the hell out of me.

Of course now, for some reason, this has set off a sort of chain reaction for me. I can handle lots of the day to day religious bullshit and bigotry but recently all I want to do when I see or hear this crap is to fight back. I wish I could grab people, smack the snot out of them and yell "Stop it! It's not real!"

Anyway, no real point or question here, just wanted to share and say hi.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Rockingrandma's post
12-09-2014, 01:49 AM
RE: If you're not working with the Lord, I can't buy my stuff
Too bad WalMart cashiers can't chat because that little episode just brims with conversational opportunities but if chatting is out your husband could simply have laughed out loud (unless WalMart forbids laughing too). Just laughing out loud would have been the best way to end the encounter anyway - that's all it's worth, after all, a moment of laughter at the absurd. She'd've stalked off with laughter ringing in her ears and THAT would have bothered HER all day. Far from insulting anyone she did everyone a favor: the people behind her did not have to wait for her to be checked out, and your husband didn't have to check her out - her stuff just got swept off the counter into the returns bin and NEXT! An occasion for smiles all around. Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
12-09-2014, 02:20 AM
She definitely lost out on an opportunity to "witness" to him lol. This is why I would never be able to work with the general public. I'd have told her that I'm a Satanist and that babies are delicious right after she said that.

Seriously though, what if he were Jewish? Same God. But now you have actual discrimination (because it's only discrimination when it's against Christians or Jews Rolleyes )
12-09-2014, 06:20 AM
"Excellent choice, ma'am, I see you plan on stopping with this unusual practice of spending hard earned money on items like a heathen and instead plan on using prayer to tap into that infinite love and power Jesus has to make the exact items you were going to buy simply appear in distinctly non-store brand bags right before my eyes and prove to me your lord is great and worthy of losing my job to talk about! What's that? You're not going to do that? Why ever not? Huh"

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
12-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Headline:

Nation in Double-dip Recession Because Fundies

I mean, really. What would her free-market overlords think of this?
12-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Pffft. So now she has to go and do it all over again elsewhere. I hope your town is brimming with atheist cashiers!Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
12-09-2014, 08:28 AM
(12-09-2014 12:53 AM)Rockingrandma Wrote:  "Sir, do you know Jesus....?"

"Sure! Everybody knows Heysus. I think he's over in groceries stocking shelves right now."

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
12-09-2014, 08:51 AM
(12-09-2014 12:53 AM)Rockingrandma Wrote:  "Sir, do you know Jesus....?"

The response to that should have been "Which one?" followed by a long list of Hispanic sounding last names.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
12-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Funny story. There are some crazy bastards running around unsupervised.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
12-09-2014, 09:44 AM
I presume she was only out on a day pass. Time to up the meds on that one.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?