If you see something, say something.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2016 08:26 AM by Noric.)
If you see something, say something.
I've realized that I'll more than likely spend most of my time on this forum in the politics section because I never know when to shut up about it.

Edit: I fully understand that the "see something, say something" phrase is in no way new, but our government having to tell us to do so, in this specific case (read, the last 5-10 years), is. I'm not forging absolutes here, just making a point.

What do you make of this new campaign to push public perception of general reporting closer to what most (these days) call "racial profiling"? To me it seems slightly hypocritical, even if the gubment and its citizens are separate things. What I mean by that, if it isn't obvious already, is that society at large basically destroyed the original "concerned citizen" and replaced it with "xenophobic, racist, bigot". Like, if so much as a repub city councilman said this exact same phrase a year ago, they'd have been absolutely chewed out by the media and most of the vocal activist public. I don't know how effective this will be because of this new notion of what's socially acceptable and what isn't, which begs the question, why do this now? At the very last second, when people have spent nearly the last decade (maybe even the entirety of the 2000s post 9/11) discouraging what you're asking people to do now? I thought what we were doing was working? (heavysarcasm)

But seriously, what do you guys think the implications of this are, and is it going to be as effective as DHS hopes it is?

Acceptance is a hell of a drug.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2016, 08:09 AM
RE: If you see something, say something.
What do you mean do this now?

That's like the slogan of safety every airport or train station I've ever been to has plastered on signs or stated repeatedly every few minutes via announcements for the past decade.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Its all been done before. History repeats.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-01-2016, 08:11 AM
(06-01-2016 08:07 AM)Noric Wrote:  I've realized that I'll more than likely spend most of my time on this forum in the politics section because I never know when to shut up about it.

What do you make of this new campaign to push public perception of general reporting closer to what most (these days) call "racial profiling"? To me it seems slightly hypocritical, even if the gubment and its citizens are separate things. What I mean by that, if it isn't obvious already, is that society at large basically destroyed the original "concerned citizen" and replaced it with "xenophobic, racist, bigot". Like, if so much as a repub city councilman said this exact same phrase a year ago, they'd have been absolutely chewed out by the media and most of the vocal activist public. I don't know how effective this will be because of this new notion of what's socially acceptable and what isn't, which begs the question, why do this now? At the very last second, when people have spent nearly the last decade (maybe even the entirety of the 2000s post 9/11) discouraging what you're asking people to do now? I thought what we were doing was working? (heavysarcasm)

But seriously, what do you guys think the implications of this are, and is it going to be as effective as DHS hopes it is?

Implications of what? What is new? Is this something on USA TV that I don't see because I am out of the country?
06-01-2016, 08:12 AM
(06-01-2016 08:09 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What do you mean do this now?

That's like the slogan of safety every airport or train station I've ever been to has plastered on signs or stated repeatedly every few minutes via announcements for the past decade.

Well that brings up another point. That's absolutely true, but then why do we have to be told again by a high government department about something that should at least be passively obvious? If airports can do it, it could be implied that the rest of the government wants you to do it for the same reasons right?

06-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Let me clarify. The "see something, say something" phrase is in no way new, but our government having to tell us to do so, in this specific case (read, the last 5-10 years), is. I'm more so trying to make a point rather than make up absolutes out of thin air.

06-01-2016, 08:21 AM
(06-01-2016 08:14 AM)Noric Wrote:  Let me clarify. The "see something, say something" phrase is in no way new, but our government having to tell us to do so, in this specific case (read, the last 5-10 years), is. I'm more so trying to make a point rather than make up absolutes out of thin air.

Then you need to clarify your points and put more thought into you opening posts.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-01-2016, 08:23 AM
(06-01-2016 08:21 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 08:14 AM)Noric Wrote:  Let me clarify. The "see something, say something" phrase is in no way new, but our government having to tell us to do so, in this specific case (read, the last 5-10 years), is. I'm more so trying to make a point rather than make up absolutes out of thin air.

Then you need to clarify your points and put more thought into you opening posts.

Point taken... Heh

06-01-2016, 08:24 AM
I have spent many years studying the history of Nazi Germany. And the idea of reporting on your neighbors was to many persons of that time the most loathsome thing their government did! 20 years ago driving from Minnesota to St Louis out in the country I saw a billboard that said basically if you saw a person smoking where the smoke could be smelled by a child you had a moral obligation to report it. This was just about the time I had started carrying a cell phone, so I pulled mine out and called the number on the billboard, after lighting up a smoke first. I harassed the person answering the phone for trying to make Americans into Nazis.
06-01-2016, 08:29 AM
"See something, say something" sounds like bullshit fear mongering to me. Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?