If you see something, say something.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 08:33 AM
RE: If you see something, say something.
(06-01-2016 08:24 AM)DerFish Wrote:  I have spent many years studying the history of Nazi Germany. And the idea of reporting on your neighbors was to many persons of that time the most loathsome thing their government did! 20 years ago driving from Minnesota to St Louis out in the country I saw a billboard that said basically if you saw a person smoking where the smoke could be smelled by a child you had a moral obligation to report it. This was just about the time I had started carrying a cell phone, so I pulled mine out and called the number on the billboard, after lighting up a smoke first. I harassed the person answering the phone for trying to make Americans into Nazis.

To that point, I don't think this kind of obligatory message from the government will be very effective because it's still viewed as loathsome, just instead of nazis it's religious extremists. People love to blur the lines between reporting and profiling, and while I do believe that there's a certain personal responsibility in trying to help your neighbors stay safe, this is definitely coming at the wrong time.

Acceptance is a hell of a drug.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2016, 10:29 AM
I was picking up a vendor badge at Boeing yesterday, and I saw a poster on the wall that said, "If you see something, say something." It creeped me out, because I couldn't help but think as a kid, when the Big, Bad was the Soviet Union, we were told Russian children were encouraged to rat out their parents to the State. This sort of slogan is probably used in totalitarian states.

Yet, it's also good advice in certain circumstances...

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
07-01-2016, 11:35 PM
Squirrel!

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
08-01-2016, 01:24 AM
[Image: 60721105.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
08-01-2016, 04:35 AM
(06-01-2016 08:07 AM)Noric Wrote:  ...
our government

Whose government?

Huh

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-01-2016, 06:57 AM
(06-01-2016 10:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I was picking up a vendor badge at Boeing yesterday, and I saw a poster on the wall that said, "If you see something, say something." It creeped me out, because I couldn't help but think as a kid, when the Big, Bad was the Soviet Union, we were told Russian children were encouraged to rat out their parents to the State. This sort of slogan is probably used in totalitarian states.

Yet, it's also good advice in certain circumstances...

When the Nazis ruled Germany, kids in school were asked about what they talked about at dinner the day before. The wrong answer could cause the family to go to a concentration camp.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-01-2016, 07:45 AM
This reminds me of when a police officer pulls you over and asks something like "have you been doing anything I should know about?"

Would "Hell no, get the fuck out of my face. You pulled me over for a busted tail light" be an appropriate response?

or even worse, "Where are you going?"
Sometimes I'm not "going" anywhere. I'm just driving around listening to music at 1:00 a.m. because I can't sleep; but to the police, that sounds like you're trying to conceal a dead body in your trunk.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
08-01-2016, 08:42 AM
The funny part -- when you DO tell them, they don't listen......

(I'm safe to tell this - as even the county prosecutor knows this story -- I told him -- and the statute of limitations ran out long ago.)

There was a dickhead who bought some property just across the street from me.

The dickhead was a drug dealer..

How did I know this? Because I used to grow pot -- and he'd ripped me and my buddy off -- and then got busted with the pot he'd stolen from us.

He didn't even know who I am. No idea. When they first moved in, I went over to "welcome them to the neighborhood" -- basically, I just wanted to see if he was still a scumbag.

He was.

So -- I went and set up a meet with, and met with the officer in our county who was in charge of the Drug Enforcement undercover team.... (I knew him from high school)...

I told him what I knew -- that this guy was setting up a "business" (tire recycling) that was a front for dealing drugs -- most likely meth. (Judging from the whackadoodles that would show up at his place at 3 a.m. -- make a bunch of noise -- then leave 15 minutes later - meth seemed most likely)

I told him my background -- and the fact that this jerk had gotten busted with my pot. (again - statutes had ran out).

Nothing happened.

I then did the same thing with the then- Assistant District Attorney (a neighbor up the street) -- and told him the same story....

Nothing continued to happen at an astounding rate.

Finally -- the meth heads melted down on their own. They bugged out in the middle of the night -- stripping the house -- literally down to the kitchen sink.

They dumped all the meth manufacture leftovers in the living room and set it on fire. (a neighbor bought the property later at auction- and we helped tear down the burned out mess)

They put everything into two U-haul trucks -- and headed to Murfeeboro TN. They then set up meth labs in a couple of hotel rooms -- and got busted.
They tried collecting on the insurance money for the stolen goods - while in jail.... Real geniuses --- the cops had the U-haul trucks in impound......

The head dickhead got 7 years -- and did every day.....

A certain someone called me - to tell me that the dickhead had been contacted at his parole hearing - and told that he still had outstanding felony warrants for arson - and some other stuff --- with no out of state extradition. So -- I don't expect he'll ever be back here......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.