If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2017, 02:04 PM
RE: If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose
It occurred to me this is a sock of the guy who exploded himself saying the Bible is the foundation of morality, a couple weeks ago ??

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2017, 06:30 PM
RE: If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose
(14-10-2017 06:52 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Our myths were written at a time when everyone knew that the Christian stories were myths. We just wrote them to enhance the discussions and other speculations of the population. When Christians became idol worshipers is when the poo hit the fan. Gnostic Christianity does not have any supernatural beliefs at all. We are naturalists. Not fools.

I have a few issues with this. I think others have addressed the unfounded claim there was a time when everyone knew they were myths.

Secondly, you do have supernatural beliefs. You mentioned earlier about "a spark of God" in people. That's similar to my kabbalah days. They (at the time we) believe every person has a link to Ain Sof (what most call God/Yahweh/JHVH), which grounds at Malkuth and travels through the Tree of Life up to Keter. This was the spark, or connection, or "made in his image."

Furthermore, you say the (idea of) God/Jesus in which you believe isn't the one put forward by the other errant Christians. That's remarkably close to the kabbalah belief where that which is explained or attributed to Ain Sof/God/Adonai is not Ain Sof. Meaning you can only describe an attribute but the attribute is not God. Also that which I define or believe is God is merely my own perspective and not God.

Until and unless you can show a biological connection between humans and a deity, there is no spark and it is by definition supernatural.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
15-10-2017, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2017 02:08 PM by Bucky Ball.)
BTW, the link you posted to the Karen Armstrong video makes no sense at all. She said "god is UNknowable". (That may be the case in some sects of some of the religions she speaks of, but not all). Labeling yourself a GNOSTIC Christian implies you DO KNOW (something). A "Gnostic" (the Greek word for "one who KNOWS", or a practitioner of Gnosticism), is the EXACT opposite of what Armstrong said in her video. Oh well.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-10-2017, 12:37 PM
(13-10-2017 03:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-10-2017 03:22 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  In whatever belief system you follow, be it humanist, secular, atheistic or religious, does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies or religions you find immoral or harmful to society?

Fuck no. You fuckers are on your own dealing with the bullshit.

(13-10-2017 03:22 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Please specify what ideology you follow in your reply.

Slack.

Slack. Where can I join up?
15-10-2017, 01:17 PM
I found a better religion. As far as the OP is concerned, I would not oppose this particular religion, because it strikes a cord with me. Sadly, however, it's gone out of business. Such a shame: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panacea_Society
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
16-10-2017, 01:45 AM
(15-10-2017 11:47 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BTW, the link you posted to the Karen Armstrong video makes no sense at all. She said "god is UNknowable". (That may be the case in some sects of some of the religions she speaks of, but not all). Labeling yourself a GNOSTIC Christian implies you DO KNOW (something). A "Gnostic" (the Greek word for "one who KNOWS", or a practitioner of Gnosticism), is the EXACT opposite of what Armstrong said in her video. Oh well.

I'm guessing this whole thing has to be a trolling joke, since he's apparently not a Christian either. But Poe's law means we can never be quite sure.

Maybe gnostic Christian = I know Christianity is a load of bollocks. I can be one too.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2017, 01:06 PM
(13-10-2017 07:11 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  That means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, given all the conditions at hand. That is an irrefutable statement.

Regards
DL

It's also meaningless pap.
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post
16-10-2017, 01:10 PM
(13-10-2017 08:05 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  My definition of God is the best rules and laws possible and those are what I seek perpetually, raising that bar of excellence and always looking for the better.

Regards
DL

More meaningless pap.
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post
18-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Cicero once wrote: “We must, of course, never be guilty of seeming cowardly and craven in our avoidance of danger; but we must also beware of exposing ourselves to danger needlessly. Nothing can be more foolhardy than that... It is, therefore, only a madman who, in a calm, would pray for a storm; a wise man's way is, when the storm does come, to withstand it with all the means at his command, and especially, when the advantages to be expected in case of a successful issue are greater than the hazards of the struggle.”

Life is short, even if I could convince most people to think like me it would take up too much of my time to do so, and people are naturally divisive so no consensus is ever permanent. There is plenty I dislike in society, but change is slow. I would say it is better to be a happy and cautious, and as Cicero said, one should only engage in struggle when he has to, he shouldn't seek it out. If more people were happy to live an enlightened life of tolerance, there wouldn't be so many extremists and dominionists.

O, mia patria, sì bella e perduta
[+] 3 users Like DistantSecond2's post
04-11-2017, 03:33 PM
If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose
If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose it?

Christians and Muslims seem to think so as evidenced by Inquisitions and Jihads.

I am a Gnostic Christian and we have always seen it as part of our belief system to oppose immoral and evil belief systems. We are not pacifists but historically have done our ideological fighting with good arguments instead of violence.

We have also called on all good people to actively oppose religions and ideologies that they feel are immoral and not deserving of their respect. That is a take-off on the adage that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing. Gnostic Christians believe in spreading good ideologies.

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and good moral arguments and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them a better and more moral ways. Some of Christianity has adopted these better ways of late but Islam is lagging and fighting against ideological reform.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did call them out for their evils in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

In whatever belief system you follow, be it humanist, secular, atheistic or religious, does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies or religions you find immoral or harmful to society?

Please specify what ideology you follow in your reply.

Regards
DL
[+] 1 user Likes Greatest I am's post