If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2017, 08:01 PM
RE: If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose
(07-11-2017 08:46 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(06-11-2017 05:24 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  That's one of those things that sounds very noble but I wonder about practical application. Yes, we should all fight evil, oppose discrimination, eat our vegetables and call our mothers at least once a day, but what does that really look like in real life (the first two anyway)? What have you done in, say, the last six months that demonstrates your carrying out of your duty to verbally fight discrimination? Did it work?

If noble, doing so is it's own reward.

As to what I do, the same as I do here. Try to promote and have my ideas recognized as noble, oe at least worth consideration.

How successful I am, I cannot know as I do not know what the lurkers are thinking.

I do get my share of positive feedback along with more negative ones. It al depends on the issue.

I do not live for likes. I live the way I think I should, be it liked or not.

Regards
DL

Sounds good to me. Cheers.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
07-11-2017, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2017 09:19 PM by Free.)
RE: If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose
(06-11-2017 03:46 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 08:02 PM)Free Wrote:  Where Christians worship a man name Jesus, he worships a spirit called Christ. Where Jesus was the Son of Man, Christ was/is the Son of God according to the Gnostic position.

Gnostics have little regard for corporeal being.

You think you know much while knowing little.

What do we call our God?

Show your stuff or admit you are ignorant of what Gnostic Christianity is all about and stop your really uneducated remarks.

Her is what we think of the corporeal, which is contrary to your really uneducated remark.

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

Ask instead of spouting garbage please.

Regards
DL

On the contrary ... I can teach you anything you want to know about the Gnostics, since I have worked with the entire Nag Hammadi Library, translating the texts. In regards to "The One/Monad" what more would you like to know? How about the other name of "All?"

And you do not understand that text you posted. I will prove it to you the moment you attempt to explain your understanding of it.

So, before you think I am spouting any garbage, I suggest you put me to a "real" test ... before I embarrass you.

It's your move.

Big Grin

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
08-11-2017, 07:29 AM
Quote:If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose it?

Yes.
Until it becomes exhausting.
Or boring.

Well I guess it depends on the ideology.
Some you just have to oppose always.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
08-11-2017, 09:12 AM
If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil...
(13-10-2017 03:22 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  I am a Gnostic Christian and we have always seen it as part of our belief system to oppose immoral and evil belief systems...

Could you please explain what you mean by this terminology. As I understand it, this has to be an oxymoron.

Quote:In whatever belief system you follow, be it humanist, secular, atheistic or religious, does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies or religions you find immoral or harmful to society?

I'm a lifelong atheist, and I need to tell you that atheism is not—as you claim—a "belief system", neither is it an "ideology". And to equate atheism with a religious belief system is absurd.

Atheism is nothing more than the singular state of mind of an individual; there is no group-think that aggregates everybody describing themselves as atheist.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
08-11-2017, 09:20 AM
RE: religion is immoral and evil
(13-10-2017 07:11 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  That means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, given all the conditions at hand. That is an irrefutable statement.

I find few things as detestable as using the suffering of others to prove a point or make oneself appear all superior and moral, but kindly (not really) go fuck yourself and then fuck off, you vile, arrogant POS. And take your vile, immoral, genocidal NON-EXISTENT god with you. You've polluted this planet long enough. Your time is over - off to the dung heap of history with the lot of you. To the very last one.

[Image: crazy_blair-poor_kids_1.jpg?itok=PECHDgIs]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
08-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Before one of the moral brigade jumps on their high horse (and dislocates a bone or five), this wasn't urging this Most arrogant I am excrescence to literally take itself off the face of the planet. I meant its security blankie that we've been suffocating under for way too long.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
08-11-2017, 10:40 AM
I wonder if "best possible world" is meant to refer to our planet or all of reality?

Best for who?

How can anyone possibly have enough information to determine what is and isn't possible?

This world is a pile of shit. I'd hate to see the runners up.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2017, 11:34 AM
(08-11-2017 10:40 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I wonder if "best possible world" is meant to refer to our planet or all of reality?

Best for who?

How can anyone possibly have enough information to determine what is and isn't possible?

This world is a pile of shit. I'd hate to see the runners up.

Exactly. Which is the POINT I've been trying to get him to address. What is best for one, is not best for another, necessarily. There is no universal ethic ... which ANYONE who has even taken Ethics 101 knows.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-11-2017, 02:03 PM
(14-10-2017 07:23 AM)Free Wrote:  
(14-10-2017 07:11 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  If I have to make references for all my statements, you may be a thinker but you have not been reading history.

Regards
DL

Actually, he does read history. He's damn good at it too. He and I do not always agree on things, but there can be no doubt whatsoever that Bucky is educated far beyond almost everyone on this forum.

Don't write him off so quickly. He can actually teach you. Give him a chance.

Personally, I have been actively involved with historical academics for over 3 decades, have written published papers, and often assist a couple of scholars with research in regards to the Jesus issue.

Unfogged is also someone formally educated in this field, and can also teach you. In fact, he, Bucky, and myself often teach other right here on this forum, despite our disagreements.

You can learn here. Open your mind.

Gnostic Christians basically have to keep our minds open as we are esoteric ecumenists who are perpetual seekers after God, here defined as the best rules and laws to live by.

Regards
DL
08-11-2017, 02:06 PM
(14-10-2017 07:43 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-10-2017 07:09 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  unfogged

It seems that we are going into semantics.

Thanks for the conversation.

Regards
DL

In other words, you are unable to define your terms, explain your beliefs, or provide any support for them.

Semantics can be important, especially when somebody is using common terms in a very non-standard way. You can't have meaningful conversations when people have very different definitions for the words being used.

True, but if we start that far apart, a discussion will not likely bear fruit. Was it Socrates who said that the definition of terms comes after a discusion, not at it's beginning.

Regards
DL