"If you want me to believe in God, you must make me touch him."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2016, 10:09 PM
"If you want me to believe in God, you must make me touch him."
So said one of my favourite authors, Denis Diderot back in the mid eighteenth century.

Words put into the letter of a character, Nicholas Saunderson.

(Diderot was of course arrested) No

Christians, Muslims, Judaists, whatever, when you speak to atheists using scripture to argue a case it is pointless. It's like pointing at the sky while saying "Down!"

Make me touch your gods face. In other words some actual proof. There are so many debates about a morality based on a literary figure. Imagine debating Huck Finn. To me it is the same.

Any debate where a god is used is silly without proving that particular god exists. Until then it is just Huck Finn. Regular xians who post here often need to understand this simple fact. It can be said, although not seen as often, of any religious or political group.

In fact politics and religion go hand in hand. Some have the same goal.

Once you realise this, you'll be fine. Kingschosen is a great example of this. He's just a mate. Not some person using Huck Finn to tell many they are wrong.

Just get it right. It's tiresome otherwise.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
20-12-2016, 10:11 PM
RE: "If you want me to believe in God, you must make me touch him."
Wait, where do we have to touch him Unsure Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
20-12-2016, 10:14 PM
(20-12-2016 10:11 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Wait, where do we have to touch him Unsure Tongue

What you do your rooms is your business. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
20-12-2016, 10:39 PM
I agree with that awesome quote you provided, you really gotta respect atheists that were writing about their non-beliefs centuries ago. I mean wow, that would've taken a lot of courage.

I also agree we need to prove this God first before we can argue about him especially considering the Bible is so contradictory as well as other holy scriptures you can argue for this spirit being behaving in all sorts of ways but it doesn't' matter if he or she isn't' even real.

So you really end up just debating with this person and that's all fine and good but if for example they think capital punishment is wrong because God said "Thou shalt not kill" well ok but here are many verses that directly contradict that and also he thinks we should kill a shit ton of people, even the ones who dared to pick up sticks on a Saturday! Who would do such a thing?!

So really it's this person's own God who lives in their head vs. their holy book, science, centuries of social philosophy, world history, etc. Wow I really don't like their odds. But if they just want to believe in their personal God and want to have a nice chat, well let's just have a friendly conversation while we're sharing this blue marble in space together.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]