If you want to be awe inspired.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2015, 10:02 PM
If you want to be awe inspired.
Beautiful!

Also:

I am absolutely certain that I do not know, but it might be possible to find out. - Christopher Hitchens

Follow Me!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like hilary's post
17-07-2015, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2015 10:40 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: If you want to be awe inspired.
This may be my favorite quotation of all time:

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
-Albert Einstein, letter to an atheist (1954), quoted in Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas & Banesh Hoffman

The "unbounded" admiration. Unbounded is a mathematical term in the Calculus, meaning "from negative infinity through infinity", when working integrals and other related equations. There can be no greater term used by a scientist. And, as Hitchens says, above, it is that admiration, that sense of awe, that moves me far more than anything I felt, or believe I could have felt, as a religious devotee. When I look at a sunset, I know everything that is happening, from a physics standpoint: the process of fusion and the electromagnetic frequencies it produces, the way my eye detects those frequencies and how my brain processes them, and how the earth's atmosphere, full of dust and water, bends those light rays so that I see all those wonderful colors. This makes it more, not less, inspiring to me. More, not less, beautiful.

Forgive me for my droning sentimentality, but Hitchens is right. I love being an atheist.

Edit to add: From testicular cancer to autoimmune problems I have faced for decades now, to motorcycle crashes and even a plane crash, I have known the imminent possibility of death. I am in tears at watching the second video. How magnificent that man was! My hope, when I die someday as we all must, is that in some measure I can be a fraction as grand, and as dignified, as he is there. As he was throughout his bold and yet humble promotion of a freethinking world view.

We have lost so many of our great freethinking heroes, in these past two decades: Einstein, Sagan, Asimov, Vonnegut, Heinlein, Carlin, Adams, and so many more it crushes me to think of a world without them in it. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-07-2015, 01:08 AM
(17-07-2015 10:27 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  This may be my favorite quotation of all time:

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
-Albert Einstein, letter to an atheist (1954), quoted in Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas & Banesh Hoffman

The "unbounded" admiration. Unbounded is a mathematical term in the Calculus, meaning "from negative infinity through infinity", when working integrals and other related equations. There can be no greater term used by a scientist. And, as Hitchens says, above, it is that admiration, that sense of awe, that moves me far more than anything I felt, or believe I could have felt, as a religious devotee. When I look at a sunset, I know everything that is happening, from a physics standpoint: the process of fusion and the electromagnetic frequencies it produces, the way my eye detects those frequencies and how my brain processes them, and how the earth's atmosphere, full of dust and water, bends those light rays so that I see all those wonderful colors. This makes it more, not less, inspiring to me. More, not less, beautiful.

Forgive me for my droning sentimentality, but Hitchens is right. I love being an atheist.

Edit to add: From testicular cancer to autoimmune problems I have faced for decades now, to motorcycle crashes and even a plane crash, I have known the imminent possibility of death. I am in tears at watching the second video. How magnificent that man was! My hope, when I die someday as we all must, is that in some measure I can be a fraction as grand, and as dignified, as he is there. As he was throughout his bold and yet humble promotion of a freethinking world view.

We have lost so many of our great freethinking heroes, in these past two decades: Einstein, Sagan, Asimov, Vonnegut, Heinlein, Carlin, Adams, and so many more it crushes me to think of a world without them in it. Sad
Sir, I am in love with everything you just typed. You have taken everything I felt when viewing that video and put them into words when I couldnt. It is almost as if we felt the exact same thing(s) when we watched the second video. I must ask, do you mind if I use it some day?

I am absolutely certain that I do not know, but it might be possible to find out. - Christopher Hitchens

Follow Me!
18-07-2015, 02:08 AM
Sure. And thanks.

(Didn't think it was that good. But I am sincere in my feeling.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
18-07-2015, 02:12 AM
I was pretty good, very good actually.

I applaud it!

Follow Me!
18-07-2015, 02:15 AM
Reading "Morality" by Hitchens legitimately made me cry some man tears at the end of his book. There are still some parts of Hitchens that make me go, "eh" and others that make me go, "YES!" He had a beautiful mind, wonderful points, and fantastic analogies.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
18-07-2015, 02:18 AM
(18-07-2015 02:15 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Reading "Morality" by Hitchens legitimately made me cry some man tears at the end of his book. There are still some parts of Hitchens that make me go, "eh" and others that make me go, "YES!" He had a beautiful mind, wonderful points, and fantastic analogies.

Really? I just finished 'god is not Great" I was planned on reading "The god delusion" but maybe ill read "Mortality" instead?

Follow Me!
18-07-2015, 02:30 AM
(18-07-2015 02:18 AM)hilary Wrote:  
(18-07-2015 02:15 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Reading "Morality" by Hitchens legitimately made me cry some man tears at the end of his book. There are still some parts of Hitchens that make me go, "eh" and others that make me go, "YES!" He had a beautiful mind, wonderful points, and fantastic analogies.

Really? I just finished 'god is not Great" I was planned on reading "The god delusion" but maybe ill read "Mortality" instead?

All of those are fantastic books. Morality was a quick read, albeit very hard hitting to me from an emotional perspective. It was very sad for me to see how disoriented he was towards the end of the book, but emotionally uplifting at the same time to see that he held firm to what he had learned and felt. He was himself to the end.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
18-07-2015, 03:03 AM
(18-07-2015 02:30 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(18-07-2015 02:18 AM)hilary Wrote:  Really? I just finished 'god is not Great" I was planned on reading "The god delusion" but maybe ill read "Mortality" instead?

All of those are fantastic books. Morality was a quick read, albeit very hard hitting to me from an emotional perspective. It was very sad for me to see how disoriented he was towards the end of the book, but emotionally uplifting at the same time to see that he held firm to what he had learned and felt. He was himself to the end.

Ill definitely give it a read, thank-you!

Follow Me!
[+] 1 user Likes hilary's post
18-07-2015, 03:06 AM
I sat there a bit after watching the video and thought back upon when it was Hitchens died. I knew I was on this board and it was late in its year so I thought 2012, but it was December 2011 which even thought it was just 1 year apart it seemed to make it shockingly even longer ago. Mainly because I remember being on this board, which I was then but less frequently, and there were so many topics in the following times wondering if a new Hitchens type would exist. There still really isn't one and because of his more literary journalistic background before being the debater/speaker on this issue I think it caused him to be more unique.

Actually the last few days/weeks I've been watching The Daily Show streaming all of their episodes in order and my favorite guests have been Hitchens coming on, not merely because he is a prominent atheist but he seriously has a point of view that rattles and makes Stewart and the crowd uncomfortable.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post