If you won the Lottery...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2017, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2017 08:20 AM by OakTree500.)
RE: If you won the Lottery...
(04-12-2017 07:04 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  ...to help out my friends and to donate to charitable organizations.

Gwaithmir, have I ever told you...that you are my best friend and that technically I am a charitable organisation right now Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
04-12-2017, 08:20 AM
(04-12-2017 08:09 AM)jennybee Wrote:  ...buy a houseboat in Yellowknife (with the aurora borealis and adventure awaiting me right in my "backyard")...

I'll likely be in northern Ontario in a year. We'd be practically next door* to each other! I only knew where Yellowknife was because my wife has been drilling me on Canadian provinces/territories and their capitals.

*By "next door", I mean "in the same country, but separated by a distance greater than the size of the continental US".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
04-12-2017, 09:41 AM
I sure hope that I'd do better with the lottery money than these folks, as reported in Business Insider!

Michael Carroll lived in the fast lane and blew it all.
Michael Carroll was at his peak when he won Britain's £9.7 million ($15 million) jackpot in 2002, The Daily Mail reports. But a penchant for life in the fast lane — cocaine, parties, hookers, and cars — put him back at square one in five years. Last we heard, the ex-garbageman was hoping to get his old job back.

And what about this guy....

Billy Bob Harrell Jr. had his prayers answered, but his luck ran out after he couldn't say no. A Pentecostal preacher working as a stockboy at Home Depot got his prayers answered when he hit the $31 million jackpot in 1997. At first, life was good with Billy Bob buying a ranch, six other homes, and some new cars. But like many others who win the lottery, he just couldn't say no when people asked for a handout. Later in life he divorced and eventually committed suicide.

More......

Bud Post lost $16.2 million within a nightmarish year — his own brother put out a hit on him. William "Bud" Post won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery in 1988 but was $1 million in debt within a year. "I wish it never happened," Post said. "It was totally a nightmare." A former girlfriend successfully sued him for a share of his winnings and his brother was arrested for hiring a hit man to kill him in the hopes he'd inherit a share of the winnings.

After sinking money into various family businesses, Post sank into debt and spent time in jail for firing a gun over the head of a bill collector. Bud now lives quietly on $450 a month and food stamps.

I mean, I shouldn't laugh but, well.....it is funny. Laugh out load

http://www.businessinsider.com/lottery-w...ll-apart-1

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-12-2017, 10:50 AM
"Small" winnings (less than $1M): Top up my retirement savings, dump a whole pile into my investment account, consider retirement. Buy that E flat sopranino clarinet that I'm currently considering.

Less than $10M: Definitely retire. Maybe upgrade my car to a slightly newer Corolla, but in red this time.

Epic wealth: Commission the building of a rehearsal hall / auditorium that can be used by local community bands, choirs, theatre troupes and dance ensembles.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
04-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Give stipends to a couple people who have stood by me through thick and thin. Build new facilities for the local no kill animal shelters.

Get weekly service from the gardener and cleaning service. Get a second car for back-up.

That's it. I don't spend much money, and I have done all the travelling I want. I'd just live off the rest and leave what's left to some local charities, like the old folks store and care visits.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-12-2017, 11:30 AM
I'd certainly start believing in God... as I don't buy lottery tickets. Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
04-12-2017, 12:29 PM
(04-12-2017 11:30 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I'd certainly start believing in God... as I don't buy lottery tickets. Tongue

I buy a ticket when the jackpot gets over 500 million. I buy one ticket. Buying one is fun, buying two is a delusion.
04-12-2017, 12:39 PM
I have maybe bought 5 tickets in as many decades. Ten cents per year say that Jackpot money is mine, hehe. I might buy one again next year. It's time my 5 Dollar life time investment pay off big! MAGA! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-12-2017, 01:14 PM
If you won the Lottery...
I would buy a house, multitude of books, games, music. Helping family also would be part of plan.

In short I would use money to make my life as good as possible as reward for years of privation. Only after satiating myself charity would be considered.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Well, I guess I'd probably find something to do that was more fun and interesting than what I do now. Though I enjoy what I do, it's not exactly my life's goal or anything.

I'd pay for the transition steps that I still need/want to complete. I'd pay off my mortgage and help out my family in that area, too. Then maybe go back to school, probably learn how to invest, and also be able to donate money in ways and amounts that I'd really like to be able to do. Maybe do some traveling. Probably buy a bit nicer of a home- though we don't need anything lavish, I'd like us to have a pool.

Also, I'd play the shit out of some video games.