If you won the Lottery...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2017, 11:10 PM
RE: If you won the Lottery...
(05-12-2017 10:45 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Pay my debts

Buy a more comfortable place to live

Travel to occasional sports events and concerts

Hire an accountant, lawyer, and financial advisor who hopefully perform a sort of “checks and balances” on each other and must report to me individually on a monthly basis.

Donate to Doctors Without Borders

Promote a large scale education campaign to explain why human overpopulation is a disastrous problem

I'mFred, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Can you Retire on $1 Million? Here is How Long You Can Survive in Every State...

“In Hawaii $1 million savings can only last about 13 years due to a high Cost of Living Index (166.4), yet, a similar savings of senior citizens in Mississippi and Arkansas can last almost twice as much due to relatively low Cost of Living Index that stands at 85.5 and 87.4 respectively."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-12-2017, 02:52 AM
(05-12-2017 11:10 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 10:45 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Pay my debts

Buy a more comfortable place to live

Travel to occasional sports events and concerts

Hire an accountant, lawyer, and financial advisor who hopefully perform a sort of “checks and balances” on each other and must report to me individually on a monthly basis.

Donate to Doctors Without Borders

Promote a large scale education campaign to explain why human overpopulation is a disastrous problem

I'mFred, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Late 40’s in years
Early 70’s in relative health
Pre-teens in emotional maturity
[+] 5 users Like I'mFred's post
06-12-2017, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2017 06:14 AM by OakTree500.)
If I had enough money, and this is one of those random ideas people have, I would pay for odd blocks of advertising on TV.

The first ad would show a man talking to a sloth at a dinner table, and the first advert would show:

Sloth: "knock knock"
Man: "Whos there"
Sloth: "the interupting sloth"
Man: "The interrupting sloth who?"

And then I'd have several different adverts over the year play of the sloth slowly reaching over the table to poke the guy in the face, each time showing the sloths arm a little bit further across the table, until in December, we get an advert with the man getting poked savagely in the face and shouting "ouch".

I have way too much time on my hands to think about that Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
06-12-2017, 07:19 AM
(05-12-2017 11:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Can you Retire on $1 Million? Here is How Long You Can Survive in Every State...

“In Hawaii $1 million savings can only last about 13 years due to a high Cost of Living Index (166.4), yet, a similar savings of senior citizens in Mississippi and Arkansas can last almost twice as much due to relatively low Cost of Living Index that stands at 85.5 and 87.4 respectively."

I think this is misleading. High cost of living is because of pay not keeping up with the cost of living. In red rural states even the middle class and poor are finding it harder and harder to make ends meet.

Point is, while location plays a part, it does not address the collective long term trend nationwide.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2017, 07:28 AM
(05-12-2017 11:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Can you Retire on $1 Million? Here is How Long You Can Survive in Every State...

It depends on what part of Hawaii one lives in, and what lifestyle they want to maintain. The Big Island is mostly rural, and some of the real estate is very cheap. I have a little 'Puna Shack' there. The really expensive thing on the Big Island is electricity. It runs about 50 cents per kilowatt. So if a person has a cheap lot and has a solar array, life in Hawaii can be very cheap. Food is actually pretty cheap there, especially when buying bulk staple foods.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
06-12-2017, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2017 10:03 AM by Kaneda.)
(06-12-2017 02:52 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 11:10 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  I'mFred, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Late 40’s in years
Early 70’s in relative health
Pre-teens in emotional maturity

I feel like I consistently underestimate people's ages here. I usually get it dead wrong unless somebody posts a photo of themselves or just reveals their age outright. But finding out what someone would do with a newfound vast sum of money seems like an effective way to tell people's ages apart here.

For what it's worth, I thought you might have been in your late 20's - early 30's until just a little while ago.

*This is coming from someone who's 25, so my frame of reference might be just a teensy bit skewed.

06-12-2017, 10:10 AM
(06-12-2017 07:28 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  The Big Island is mostly rural, and some of the real estate is very cheap. I have a little 'Puna Shack' there.

You had me at, “I have a little ‘Puna Shack’ there.”
Can we be friends? [Image: 8WQFnLt.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-12-2017, 11:08 AM
If it's enough to live off of for the rest of my life...I would take a year off from working so I could focus on getting my Veterinary Assistant certificate. Then, I would go on working at least part-time as a Veterinary Assistant, volunteering some of my time to the local shelter.

I would vacation HARD with my family once Disney's Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and resort are finished Big Grin

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
24-12-2017, 06:08 PM
I'd buy two plane tickets to someplace warm where they serve umbrella drinks and figure out the rest later.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post