If your god is ok with it, then ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2014, 07:25 PM
If your god is ok with it, then ...
I live a good happy life as an atheist. I am in good health, have a happy family or as happy as most families (I hope) and fortunate enough to live in a country that has many secular benefits like health care, freedom, democracy, science, etc. If your god is ok with me being an atheist right now, why would me dying change anything ?

I'm more moral than your god. I do something when I see someone getting raped.
I do something when I see illegal actions in my neighborhood. I teach my children ethics. I lead by example.

Your god is ok with watching but lacks the moral & ethical elements to do anything about it. Or maybe he just doesn't exist.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
16-09-2014, 07:59 PM
RE: If your god is ok with it, then ...
(16-09-2014 07:25 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I live a good happy life as an atheist. I am in good health, have a happy family or as happy as most families (I hope) and fortunate enough to live in a country that has many secular benefits like health care, freedom, democracy, science, etc. If your god is ok with me being an atheist right now, why would me dying change anything ?

I do something when I see illegal actions in my neighborhood. I teach my children ethics. I lead by example.

Your god is ok with watching but lacks the moral & ethical elements to do anything about it. Or maybe he just doesn't exist.
I've often had the same thought.
17-09-2014, 06:21 AM
Oh, but it's a test and something about mysterious ways!

Yeah, I've learned never to get into arguments about morality with a theist. It's just an exercise to see how many hoops they're willing to jump through to keep their god's actions (or inactions) good and our actions bad.
17-09-2014, 06:57 AM
I'm gonna go with the "maybe he doesn't exist".

[Image: oscar.png]
17-09-2014, 07:01 AM
(17-09-2014 06:21 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Oh, but it's a test and something about mysterious ways!

Yeah, I've learned never to get into arguments about morality with a theist. It's just an exercise to see how many hoops they're willing to jump through to keep their god's actions (or inactions) good and our actions bad.

Don't forget the "God wants people to choose" and it's our bad choices that cause the evil in this world. Of course that makes this god less powerful than our choice, impotent and not able to do anything different from a god that doesn't exist. Interesting how their god always seems to parallel the exact behavior of a god that doesn't exist in the first place.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
17-09-2014, 10:54 AM
(16-09-2014 07:25 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I live a good happy life as an atheist. I am in good health, have a happy family or as happy as most families (I hope) and fortunate enough to live in a country that has many secular benefits like health care, freedom, democracy, science, etc. If your god is ok with me being an atheist right now, why would me dying change anything ?

Since there are/have been literally thousands of religions and religious sects, how did you come to be certain you are "more moral than [my/your/everyone's] god"?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2014, 01:54 PM
(17-09-2014 10:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Since there are/have been literally thousands of religions and religious sects, how did you come to be certain you are "more moral than [my/your/everyone's] god"?
This wasn't addressed to me, but for starters, since none of them exist... Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
17-09-2014, 05:54 PM
(17-09-2014 10:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

Since there are/have been literally thousands of religions and religious sects, how did you come to be certain you are "more moral than [my/your/everyone's] god"?

Given the length of time that humans have been walking the earth and the length of time disease and famine & death by any number of viruses and or ways in which people have died before reaching the age of 30, I can easily say that any god that may have ever existed, didn't do a damn thing to aide anyone who desperately needed it. I'm more moral based on the idea that when I'm aware of someone in need, I help them if I'm able to. I don't have millions, nor do I even have a full time job right now, but I get by as best I can, helping those who are less fortunate than I am. Some days I barely have a dollar to my name, but for damn sure, I'm more moral than any god has ever been.

Why ? Because I'm human. I have human feelings and human ethics.
I care. I have empathy for others who are in a situation where they are or have been harmed. I have the ability to consider the consequences of my actions.
I don't know that a god can consider the consequences of their actions.

In fact, I don't know anything about what a god can or cannot do beyond what other humans say it can. And I haven't the foggiest idea of how they know what they profess to know, how they know what they can't possibly know.

Lastly, existing entities like my myself will always be more moral than an imaginary figure in a book.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
17-09-2014, 07:00 PM
I still contest to "Pascal's Wager" in the direction of Thor. Thunder storms rule and I sleep like a baby during one, he's a buff stud who has helped save the world twice in the last 5 year's, and he's got Natalie Portman as a slam piece.
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
17-09-2014, 07:25 PM
(17-09-2014 07:00 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I still contest to "Pascal's Wager" in the direction of Thor. Thunder storms rule and I sleep like a baby during one, he's a buff stud who has helped save the world twice in the last 5 year's, and he's got Natalie Portman as a slam piece.

Could very we'll be the best thing I've read all day

I feel like theists spend so much time praying for a better life after death, they don't fully appreciate or enjoy the one they have now.