If your god is ok with it, then ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2014, 03:48 PM
RE: If your god is ok with it, then ...
(18-09-2014 03:05 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 02:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  People vary in in morals and ethics, it's just that atheists aren't cherry-picking their avowed playbook like Christians do.

Christians cherry pick because their moral sense and culture are what they use to tell right from wrong.

Only the most delusional fundamentalist actually believes everything in the Bible.

It sounds like you are implying that Christian cherry pick a book and atheists don't cherry pick? What is this firm moral standard that all atheists adhere to?

What is it you suppose we cherry pick from? Consider

Do you even know what cherry-picking is? Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2014, 09:52 AM
(18-09-2014 03:15 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 02:09 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I've heard and read different atheists give different moral standards and ideas, so do only Christians "cherry pick" from their given playbook? But if I cede that most atheists have some moral framework in common, will you cede that most Christians agree on quite a few moral points, e.g. God is to be worshipped, adultery is wrong, drunkenness and lasciviousness is wrong (talking about Bible-believing Christians only, to be consistent)?

What's wrong with drunkenness?

Everyone's my bestest friend in the world when I'm drunk.... I can think of far worse things than being a bit pissed.

Are you familiar with statistics on domestic violence and prison inmates as they correlate with drunkenness? And, I'm sure you realize my point isn't an anti-drunkenness campaign but a "God knows what He is doing with His laws" campaign...?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
19-09-2014, 10:00 AM
(18-09-2014 03:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 03:05 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It sounds like you are implying that Christian cherry pick a book and atheists don't cherry pick? What is this firm moral standard that all atheists adhere to?

What is it you suppose we cherry pick from? Consider

Do you mean in the idiomatic sense, cherry-picking as an adverse, selfish selection? Why, don't you cherry-pick as an atheist from the religious training you had in your youth/adulthood, including admonitions from parents? Are atheists different than other people who cherry-pick their own desires against your own conscience, the moral law of universal reciprocity, and the desire to stay out of prison? Put another way, what Christians call the "sin nature" and you would call "evolutionary responses"? Do you not only avoid doing "bad" things but cherry pick to not do "good" things when you feel bad? I think you know what I'm driving it, surely? That humans have absolute moral standards or where they lack them, a sin-ingrained conscience?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
[+] 1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post
19-09-2014, 12:23 PM
(19-09-2014 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 03:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  What is it you suppose we cherry pick from? Consider

Do you mean in the idiomatic sense, cherry-picking as an adverse, selfish selection?

Of course. Why would you imagine it was meant literally?

Quote:Why, don't you cherry-pick as an atheist from the religious training you had in your youth/adulthood, including admonitions from parents?

What religious training? Consider
And I learned by experience and evidence what worked and what didn't. That is not cherry-picking.

Quote:Are atheists different than other people who cherry-pick their own desires against your own conscience, the moral law of universal reciprocity, and the desire to stay out of prison?

That is not what cherry-picking is.

Quote:Put another way, what Christians call the "sin nature" and you would call "evolutionary responses"?

No, I wouldn't. "Sin nature" is an absurd theological concept that degrades humans.
It is unclear what you mean by "evolutionary responses".

Quote:Do you not only avoid doing "bad" things but cherry pick to not do "good" things when you feel bad? I think you know what I'm driving it, surely? That humans have absolute moral standards or where they lack them, a sin-ingrained conscience?

No, humans have an evolved moral sense. There are no absolute moral standards; we create standards based on moral sense and experience, evidence, thought, and empathy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Quote: I think you know what I'm driving it, surely?

It appears you're trying to steer toward your idea of absolute, god given, objective morality.
Find all posts by this user
20-09-2014, 06:44 AM
(19-09-2014 12:37 PM)pablo Wrote:  
Quote: I think you know what I'm driving it, surely?

It appears you're trying to steer toward your idea of absolute, god given, objective morality.

I don't wish to do so, but don't I have to, when Chas says, "Christians cherry-pick from a book" and also says, "As an atheist, I use pure logic to define moral standards and cherry-pick from nothing"? Why not just say, Chas, "Honestly, I have no biases that I am aware of having"?

Do you understand better now how atheists force others to call to question whether absolute moral standards exist, regardless if they do exist or not?

[+] 1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post