Ignorance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Ignorance
I've been reading and posting on this forum for about two years Big Grin and the most common complaint and prevailing theme that I see is our exasperation and frustration with ignorance. I should clarify that to "willful ignorance" though regular, everyday garden variety ignorance is part of it too. And it doesn't matter what the topic is. The topic is almost secondary to the discussion because what we're really talking about is people being stupid, dumb, uneducated, ignorant or without one ounce of curiosity.

I keep hoping that everyone will become smarter, more curious and engaged Smartass but it seems that only a certain segment of the population is this way and the rest just follow the easy way. The easy way being... don't wonder about the world , don't question, don't learn new and different things. Maybe I'm just in a sour mood today but people don't seem to get any less ignorant. I hope I'm wrong though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2014, 04:08 PM
RE: Ignorance
(21-07-2014 03:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've been reading and posting on this forum for about two years Big Grin and the most common complaint and prevailing theme that I see is our exasperation and frustration with ignorance. I should clarify that to "willful ignorance" though regular, everyday garden variety ignorance is part of it too. And it doesn't matter what the topic is. The topic is almost secondary to the discussion because what we're really talking about is people being stupid, dumb, uneducated, ignorant or without one ounce of curiosity.

I keep hoping that everyone will become smarter, more curious and engaged Smartass but it seems that only a certain segment of the population is this way and the rest just follow the easy way. The easy way being... don't wonder about the world , don't question, don't learn new and different things. Maybe I'm just in a sour mood today but people don't seem to get any less ignorant. I hope I'm wrong though.

Educating yourself to rise above ignorance requires effort, and people are lazy. They would rather watch TV than read a book, because TV is easier. I also know people who only read books that "don't make you think" -- thinking is too hard.

I even see this in myself. I enjoy doing things that make me think -- reading difficult books, solving mathematical problems, etc. -- once I'm doing them. But I often have to give myself a kick in the ass to get started, because it's easier to just passively listen to music and surf the internet, or some other mindless time-killing activity. Laziness and procrastination are among our worst enemies, and many people never even make an effort to overcome them.
21-07-2014, 04:49 PM
(21-07-2014 04:08 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 03:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've been reading and posting on this forum for about two years Big Grin and the most common complaint and prevailing theme that I see is our exasperation and frustration with ignorance. I should clarify that to "willful ignorance" though regular, everyday garden variety ignorance is part of it too. And it doesn't matter what the topic is. The topic is almost secondary to the discussion because what we're really talking about is people being stupid, dumb, uneducated, ignorant or without one ounce of curiosity.

Educating yourself to rise above ignorance requires effort, and people are lazy. They would rather watch TV than read a book, because TV is easier. I also know people who only read books that "don't make you think" -- thinking is too hard.

I even see this in myself. I enjoy doing things that make me think -- reading difficult books, solving mathematical problems, etc. -- once I'm doing them. But I often have to give myself a kick in the ass to get started, because it's easier to just passively listen to music and surf the internet, or some other mindless time-killing activity. Laziness and procrastination are among our worst enemies, and many people never even make an effort to overcome them.

This may sometimes be the case but not always. Some of us are interested in understanding certain things while others like to learn about different things. Simply put some people don't give a shit about some things.
I think perhaps most people learn about what interests them. Some people like to read and some people don't.
I like to play guitar. So I play as much as I can and I like to think I'm pretty good. My wife tried and she found no joy in it. It has little to do with laziness I think.
She reads about serial killers and enjoys trying to pick apart their minds. She knows a great deal about the subject. I on the other hand couldn't be bothered. I'm not lazy, I'm just not interested in the subject.
The thing is I never have to kick myself in the ass to get started on the things I enjoy. And why would I bother to spend my short existence doing things (on my own time) that I don't enjoy? Why would anyone? Why should anyone?
21-07-2014, 05:08 PM

While I'm more than happy to rail on about willful ignorance given half a provocation, that's only because of the contexts in which it generally arises here. It's ignorance that is actively harmful that's problematic; I know plenty of things (being one of those people who likes knowing something about anything) that wouldn't affect my life in the slightest to be ignorant of - but beating that ignorance into children isn't so benign.

(and what exactly constitutes that threshold is, of course, up for interpretation)

... this is my signature!
21-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Sadly, faith requires ignorance to work effectively.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
21-07-2014, 05:21 PM
At what point is somebody being willfully ignorant? Are you just talking about those who make claims that have already been refuted? Or are you painting a broad stroke over all believers? Or some other options?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
21-07-2014, 05:26 PM
(21-07-2014 05:21 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  At what point is somebody being willfully ignorant? Are you just talking about those who make claims that have already been refuted? Or are you painting a broad stroke over all believers? Or some other options?

A useful standard is anyone denying that which it would be perverse to deny, to borrow that phrase.

You know; evolution, gravity, climate change, vaccines...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
21-07-2014, 05:30 PM
When I hear the words 'willful ignorance' I get an image of someone with their fingers in their ears and their eyes squeezed shut saying 'LALALALALALALALALALA, I can't hear you'. Except that it's more like 'I won't hear you'.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
21-07-2014, 06:58 PM
We could have an interesting discussion about climate change. But not now. I'm still gathering data before I make up my mind.

I hold that there is only one "sin" that a person can commit. And that sin is unforgivable. It is not ignorance, not blindness, but the willful refusal to see. The act of shutting one's eyes, plugging one's ears, and demanding that the cliff he is walking towards become a grassy meadow through his refusal to acknowledge it.

I have all the patience in the world for those who honestly want to know, those who are willing to look. I have none for those who will not look for fear of knowledge. And too often fun does are among those who refuse to see.
21-07-2014, 07:25 PM
(21-07-2014 05:14 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Sadly, faith requires ignorance to work effectively.

isn't that the definition of religious faith ?
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post