Ignorance about anarchism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Ignorance about anarchism
Hello everyone. I have recently started calling myself an anarchist. Before I learned about it I thought anarchy meant chaos, disorder and people going around killing others.

It seems like this runs rampant in political debates. I can't call myself an anarchist without someone calling me idealistic, delusional or just an edgy kiddo.

I'd like to let everyone know that, while anarchism is a radical political position, it does not advocate chaos. The way I see it, it promotes more individual thinking and cooperation because people no longer rely on people to tell them what to do, when to do it and how to do it. How many of you know something about anarchism? How many of you are veterans and how many don't know a single thing about it?

Now this last part is for people who know something about anarchism and its community. Within anarchism, it seems to be a requirement to identify as a feminist. I do not agree with this. I recognise that there are many problems that women face today, but by now I don't even know if the positive discrimination and all the advantages that they also get are still so much harder to find than all the oppression and discrimination.

I do want to solve women's problems like the wage difference and general prejudice. However, I also want to solve the problem of women getting custody most of the time, and the problem of men having little choice in whether or not they want to have a baby while they still have to pay alimony. Would love to hear any thoughts you have on this.

All other anarchist discussion is also fine by me. By all means, tell me why I'm an idiot! I'll gladly consider it, even though I might be too dumb to get it Tongue

Thank you.

[Image: godtroll.php]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2014, 05:15 PM
RE: Ignorance about anarchism
(14-05-2014 05:05 PM)NL Atheist Wrote:  Hello everyone. I have recently started calling myself an anarchist. Before I learned about it I thought anarchy meant chaos, disorder and people going around killing others.

It seems like this runs rampant in political debates. I can't call myself an anarchist without someone calling me idealistic, delusional or just an edgy kiddo.

I'd like to let everyone know that, while anarchism is a radical political position, it does not advocate chaos. The way I see it, it promotes more individual thinking and cooperation because people no longer rely on people to tell them what to do, when to do it and how to do it. How many of you know something about anarchism? How many of you are veterans and how many don't know a single thing about it?

Now this last part is for people who know something about anarchism and its community. Within anarchism, it seems to be a requirement to identify as a feminist. I do not agree with this. I recognise that there are many problems that women face today, but by now I don't even know if the positive discrimination and all the advantages that they also get are still so much harder to find than all the oppression and discrimination.

I do want to solve women's problems like the wage difference and general prejudice. However, I also want to solve the problem of women getting custody most of the time, and the problem of men having little choice in whether or not they want to have a baby while they still have to pay alimony. Would love to hear any thoughts you have on this.

All other anarchist discussion is also fine by me. By all means, tell me why I'm an idiot! I'll gladly consider it, even though I might be too dumb to get it Tongue

Thank you.

Yes please inform all of us how this impossible scenario is supposed to work. Anarchy is violence and disorder and chaos, might not be the ideal but it is the result.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
14-05-2014, 05:25 PM
(14-05-2014 05:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yes please inform all of us how this impossible scenario is supposed to work. Anarchy is violence and disorder and chaos, might not be the ideal but it is the result.

Nuh-uh, Rev.

Any good anarchist, just like any good self-identified communist or libertarian, has one of two equally compelling choices. Option 1, to pretend that if we magically set up a perfect society, nobody would ever break the rules because reasons. Or option 2, to concede that actually some sort of imposed order and regulation are necessary, but that anything one hair further than one's personal subjective idea of "necessary" is innately, inherently, and irredeemably evil.

... this is my signature!
[+] 9 users Like cjlr's post
14-05-2014, 05:27 PM
(14-05-2014 05:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-05-2014 05:05 PM)NL Atheist Wrote:  Hello everyone. I have recently started calling myself an anarchist. Before I learned about it I thought anarchy meant chaos, disorder and people going around killing others.

Thank you.

Yes please inform all of us how this impossible scenario is supposed to work. Anarchy is violence and disorder and chaos, might not be the ideal but it is the result.

I am actually curious if it is the ideal in general that people object to or just the belief that descent into mad max style tribes of warlords and gangs is the inevitable result.

Basically, how many of the people opposed to the idea mostly don't even like the ideal of the anarchist vision itself?

Jesus is my Stalker: He has graced me with his unconditional love, but if I reject it and refuse to love him in return, he will make my life Hell.
14-05-2014, 05:31 PM
(14-05-2014 05:27 PM)djhall Wrote:  Basically, how many of the people opposed to the idea mostly don't even like the ideal of the anarchist vision itself?

That's not really a thing, in my experience... There's a heck of a lot of variety in what people call anarchism, up to and including the mutually exclusive.

... this is my signature!
14-05-2014, 05:32 PM
(14-05-2014 05:27 PM)djhall Wrote:  
(14-05-2014 05:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yes please inform all of us how this impossible scenario is supposed to work. Anarchy is violence and disorder and chaos, might not be the ideal but it is the result.

I am actually curious if it is the ideal in general that people object to or just the belief that descent into mad max style tribes of warlords and gangs is the inevitable result.

Basically, how many of the people opposed to the idea mostly don't even like the ideal of the anarchist vision itself?

Day Z was the best anarchy simulator we have ever had and do you know what most people did? Killed everyone they met stole all their stuff and then tortured anyone they didn't kill. Why because they could.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
14-05-2014, 05:35 PM
(14-05-2014 05:27 PM)djhall Wrote:  

I like the ideal, always have. Just as I've always liked the communist ideal. But the consequences are inevitable. Rivers will burn and shit.
[Image: cuyahoga.jpg]

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-05-2014, 05:45 PM
(14-05-2014 05:32 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-05-2014 05:27 PM)djhall Wrote:  I am actually curious if it is the ideal in general that people object to or just the belief that descent into mad max style tribes of warlords and gangs is the inevitable result.

Day Z was the best anarchy simulator we have ever had and do you know what most people did? Killed everyone they met stole all their stuff and then tortured anyone they didn't kill. Why because they could.

Answers like this are exactly why I asked the question though. It doesn't really tell the viewer if you like the ideas / goals / values / vision of anarchists but find them impossibly naive, or if you don't like the ideas either.

Jesus is my Stalker: He has graced me with his unconditional love, but if I reject it and refuse to love him in return, he will make my life Hell.
14-05-2014, 05:48 PM
A species that evolved from alpha-male/alpha-female led chimpanzee's isn't going to run out of individual members willing to fill a power vacuum anytime soon Undecided

Some of them by any means necessary!
[Image: Islamberg1-600x350.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
14-05-2014, 05:48 PM
(14-05-2014 05:45 PM)djhall Wrote:  
(14-05-2014 05:32 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Day Z was the best anarchy simulator we have ever had and do you know what most people did? Killed everyone they met stole all their stuff and then tortured anyone they didn't kill. Why because they could.

Answers like this are exactly why I asked the question though. It doesn't really tell the viewer if you like the ideas / goals / values / vision of anarchists but find them impossibly naive, or if you don't like the ideas either.

Both, it is impossibly naive and frankly silly to go chasing after something built on clouds and I don't like the idea of removing all safety nets from everything. Anarchy is a bad thing and most people who call themselves anarchists are either so self centered as to be close to sociopaths or young idealists who have no concept of the real world.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post