Ignorance in biblical times . . . question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2012, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 08:49 AM by free2011.)
Ignorance in biblical times . . . question
In discussions with friends the subject of religion occasionally comes up. Being that they are all Christians the conversation enters around their beliefs. Iam often asked why I don't believe to which I generally answer with, "The questions isn't why DON'T I believe, the question is why DO you believe?" The inevitable answer is something related to the Bible.

My retort is often well if you are going to take the word of what people believed 2,000 years ago then you must also believe the Earth is flat and epileptics are possessed by evil spirit, right? No, of course you don't. Because over that time period our knowledge of our physical world has grown immensely. So I choose to believe modern knowledge, such as evolution, over ancient ignorance.

So here is where I need the help of my TTA crew. What else does history show us that the people of biblical times believed that we now know to be unquestionably false? It will help further prove my point that because somebody thought something 2,000 years ago doesn't make it true.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2012, 08:01 AM
RE: Ignorance in biblical times . . . question
Talking snakes
Talking donkeys
Humans spontaneously creatable from clots of blood / dirt / ribs
Global flood
All animals can fit on one boat without killing each other (where were the kangaroos btw?)
Life span of up 900+ years
Unicorns
Raising people from the dead
Virgin births (incl. Buddha, I think)
Magic sperm
Angels
Benefits of human sacrifice
Prayer
Talking, burning bushes
Water can be turned into wine (sadly not true)
Possession by demons
Free will (still a hot topic)
Stars are "lamps" (Quran)
Sun pulled across the sky by a chariot
Inferiority of women
That slavery was morally acceptable
That stoning unruly children was morally acceptable
That a raped girl should marry her rapist was morally acceptable
etc etc

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-05-2012, 10:15 AM
(13-05-2012 08:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Talking snakes
Talking donkeys
Humans spontaneously creatable from clots of blood / dirt / ribs
Global flood
All animals can fit on one boat without killing each other (where were the kangaroos btw?)
Life span of up 900+ years
Unicorns
Raising people from the dead
Virgin births (incl. Buddha, I think)
Magic sperm
Angels
Benefits of human sacrifice
Prayer
Talking, burning bushes
Water can be turned into wine (sadly not true)
Possession by demons
Free will (still a hot topic)
Stars are "lamps" (Quran)
Sun pulled across the sky by a chariot
Inferiority of women
That slavery was morally acceptable
That stoning unruly children was morally acceptable
That a raped girl should marry her rapist was morally acceptable
etc etc
Good list.

Don't forget the 6,000 year old earth.
...on second thought, never mind, they still believe that one.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
13-05-2012, 10:34 AM
(13-05-2012 06:58 AM)free2011 Wrote:  It will help further prove my point that because somebody thought something 2,000 years ago doesn't make it true.[/size][/color]
[/font]

It won't help. You've already followed them down the rabbit hole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_hole

If god were a "loving god", why did she wait 2000 years to reveal, by accident, that Penicillin contains lysozyme, when he, (Flemming), accidentally dropped some into the Petri dish ?

http://www.experiment-resources.com/history-of-antibiotics.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-05-2012, 10:53 AM
(13-05-2012 06:58 AM)free2011 Wrote:  It won't help. You've already followed them down the rabbit hole.
I'm with you on this analogy. Now you're playing their game in their world under their rules of reality.
It is a waste of time at that point.
The better strategy is to ask them to start with the assumption that their God does not exist and build up their case from there.
They will see this as absurd. Why would you start at an obvious false position?

Theist, "Proof of an after-life is the fact that Jesus Christ rose from the dead"
Atheist, "What proof do you have that Jesus Christ rose from the dead?"
Theist, "That's an absurd question."

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
13-05-2012, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 11:44 AM by ahoy.)
and then I thought the good book is prose and poetry… not a physical science book. : )
13-05-2012, 01:16 PM
my suggestion is to focus on convincing them about the merits of skepticism and the scientific method of inquiry (and other critical thinking skills). Without that foundation, it's unlikely that you'll make any headway whatsoever.

Focus on the youth. That's what I always say.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 3 users Like lightninlives's post
13-05-2012, 05:48 PM
DLJ, good list but a theist would always explain these away as God magic (virgin birth) or appropriate for the time they were written (slavery). Nobody could argue that the Earth was never flat.
What were some common medical procedures 2,000 years ago? Blood letting?

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
13-05-2012, 11:46 PM
(13-05-2012 06:58 AM)free2011 Wrote:  In discussions with friends the subject of religion occasionally comes up. Being that they are all Christians the conversation enters around their beliefs. Iam often asked why I don't believe to which I generally answer with, "The questions isn't why DON'T I believe, the question is why DO you believe?" The inevitable answer is something related to the Bible.

My retort is often well if you are going to take the word of what people believed 2,000 years ago then you must also believe the Earth is flat and epileptics are possessed by evil spirit, right? No, of course you don't. Because over that time period our knowledge of our physical world has grown immensely. So I choose to believe modern knowledge, such as evolution, over ancient ignorance.

So here is where I need the help of my TTA crew. What else does history show us that the people of biblical times believed that we now know to be unquestionably false? It will help further prove my point that because somebody thought something 2,000 years ago doesn't make it true.
I'd abandon this line of argument altogether. When Christians try to prove that the Bible is true because it's old, their argument is a non-sequiter... it doesn't follow; there's no logical connection between something being old and something being true. But here's the kicker --- there's no logical connection being old and being false, either. I know you're assuming that old ideas get replaced by newer, smarter, more accurate ideas, but this isn't always true; your confirmation bias forces you to ignore the instances where our ideas were right to begin with and have changed little or not at all.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2012, 09:37 AM
I go back and forth on whether to argue with reason or to just slam them. Ah fuck it, just slam them. life is too short to argue with idiots.
They use declarative statements (dogma), so I declare, "All religions are myths based on fear of the unknown. Yours is not different than the other 2,000 we know that have existed at some time on the planet."
They will utter something dogmatic that you just ignore, then say, "Belief based on nothing is irrational. Belief in any god is irrational, your belief is irrational".
It's being as dogmatic as they are. It infuriates many of them when you will not even consider that their god could possibly be real. You know that you are not going to change their minds right then and there based on a reasonable argument, so why bother.
There is something about public ridicule. People don't want to look stupid. They will ponder later on how they looked in an argument where an atheist just slammed the door on them. Is their belief stupid? Irrational?
Be bold in slamming the beliefs that the religious hold as unquestionable.
Who the hell are they to declare their unfounded beliefs off limits?