"Ignorance is Bliss" - Armageddon Style

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2012, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2012 03:20 PM by PoolBoyG.)
"Ignorance is Bliss" - Armageddon Style
I think strongly that factual information always takes precedent over false information. Even in small matters, and "white lie" scenarios. I hate having to warp reality in order to cater to someone's emotional state (but I do, despite not wanting to). In any case...

Some very important people in the various worlds government find out that the world will be destroyed, completely, within a week or so. Destruction will happen all within a few minutes, and there is no escape or preventing it. Humanity will never be able to overcome it. DO THEY ANNOUNCE IT TO THE PUBLIC?

What if it was within 1yr? 10yrs? 100yrs? 1000yrs?

I'm torn on this one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2012, 03:24 PM
RE: "Ignorance is Bliss" - Armageddon Style
No, they don't. Not officially. NO government on the planet, no matter how bad they are, wants widespread panic, looting, rioting in their country. So every government would try to keep this a secret.

Of course, the scientists who figured it out, and the middlemen who work for the government but aren't in charge, any of them might run straight to the media. And lots of people, even the government officials, would want to tell their wives and children and parents, because that's the human thing to do, and some of them might run to the media.

Meanwhile, the government officials would know that this will happen and will be preparing their official announcement, but they won't make it until the last possible moment, or whenever they realize the media has the info, whichever comes first.

It would get out. It's inevitable. But not from official government sources until there was no other choice.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
19-12-2012, 03:35 PM
(19-12-2012 03:24 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  No, they don't. Not officially. NO government on the planet, no matter how bad they are, wants widespread panic, looting, rioting in their country. So every government would try to keep this a secret.

Of course, the scientists who figured it out, and the middlemen who work for the government but aren't in charge, any of them might run straight to the media. And lots of people, even the government officials, would want to tell their wives and children and parents, because that's the human thing to do, and some of them might run to the media.

Meanwhile, the government officials would know that this will happen and will be preparing their official announcement, but they won't make it until the last possible moment, or whenever they realize the media has the info, whichever comes first.

It would get out. It's inevitable. But not from official government sources until there was no other choice.

Well reasoned. Clap

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Truth is always better than falsehood, no exceptions.
19-12-2012, 05:10 PM
I couldn't possibly speak for a government body containing hundreds of seperate individuals; each with their own personality type and individual sense of morality or duty.

However, if I knew if and when the world was going to end, quite frankly, I'm not sure I'd tell anyone for a few reasons:

1) People wouldn't believe me. Just like we don't believe the sign-waving christians or the 2012-doomsday morons.

2) If they did somehow believe me, there would be widespread chaos which, while intriguing in theory (at least to me), may not be desirable once put into practice. And if it transpires that I actually don't dig the whole end-of-days scenario, such a ball would be much to large to stop once it has begun rolling. Not sure if I'm willing to take that risk.

3) It would give me a sense of satisfaction to smile contently when someone is a dick to me.

4) It's much more fun to suddenly, 10 seconds before shit hits the fan, announce my "supernatural" abilities to the world; which I would then "demonstrate" (tongue firmly in cheek) by apparently bringing about armageddon. Big Grin It's the ultimate practical joke.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
19-12-2012, 06:42 PM
(19-12-2012 03:07 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I think strongly that factual information always takes precedent over false information. Even in small matters, and "white lie" scenarios. I hate having to warp reality in order to cater to someone's emotional state (but I do, despite not wanting to). In any case...
I think you re wrong. It may not be clear what is the best decision in your case, but i can construct a case where telling and believing false information is clearly beneficial.

For example:
you live on an island in extremely religious tribe where they re killing everyone who doesnt believe flying spaghetti monster(fsm). You re unable to escape and they test everyone with lie detector, so lying is inefficient Tongue. You have 2 options:
1. you dont believe in fsm and they kill you
2. you believe in fsm and continue to live a reasonably happy life, moreover you re awarded with lots of money, food and women, because you have the biggest dick in the tribe which makes you a son fsm according to their beliefs Bowing

So unless you re suicidal second option looks far better. Consider

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8