Ignorant America - Delta Airlines

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Ignorant America - Delta Airlines
I love my country of birth, and the people in it, but lately I've been very frustrated with how it's people have been reacting to pretty basic stuff. I know it's coming from Huffington Post (which truly has went downhill since it became part of AOL news)... but this one takes the cake. So here is my latest installment of Ignorant America- this week - Airlines.

Here is the link, first I invite you to read the story it's self. Story

So the basic gist of the story is that flights bound to Saudi Arabia will not allow religious icons (bibles, yarmulkes) aboard it's flights, save Muslim icons. That seems like a pretty normal deal, since you cannot even bring items of that nature into Saudi Arabia (and most Arabic countries to my knowledge) anyways. Flights restricting what you can bring on them based on what country you are entering is pretty standard. For instance, you cannot bring any *ahem* phallic shaped items aboard an ANA (All Nippon Airlines) flight because Japan will not allow those items to be brought into their nation.

If anyone brings those items in, the country will usually deny them access and they have to fly back to their country of origin, usually on the airline's buck.

So that being said, the Americans in the comments section flew into an absolute shit storm, about how Delta is being UNAMERICAN or ANTISEMITIC. Truthfully I bet they didn't even read enough of the article to see that Saudi Arabia doesn't even allow those items entry (surprise surprise?)

*sigh* I bet they wouldn't give a damn if the United States stopped allowing Muslims to bring in their religious icons.

You know what I think about this, the same I thoughts I had when I babysat kids, and we had to go on a drive somewhere...

"If you all cannot stop fighting over which toys you can take, we aren't taking any.".

Perhaps that is what the airlines should do, sheesh.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2011, 03:04 PM
RE: Ignorant America - Delta Airlines
I can see how people would become upset after reading part of the article. After the first bit I thought the same thing. Then I continued and understood that this country does not allow these items in and understood the reasoning. People jump to conclusions without getting the entire story. Its sad.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Gah... you should have seen the one about the soldiers from Iraq. I served in the military and I saw these guys as a bunch of shmucks. When traveling on TDY or official business, the government will either give you a travel card, or reimburse you the money if you are charged for incidentals, like food cab fare, and yes, baggage.

Well, Delta charged these guys for a 4th bag, and they went absolutely ape shit, and uploaded an video to you tube. The sad thing is that these dudes were NCOs (leadership posts) in the military, so they should have definitely known all about common operating procedure.

Anywho, the American public went crazy over this, demanding that Delta pay these guys back (though the government would anyway, likes it's been doing for countless years)...

I guess people just read headlines and then post stupid comments on just about anything.

24-06-2011, 04:46 PM
(24-06-2011 04:27 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  I guess people just read headlines and then post stupid comments on just about anything.

Too true! Thats why I have such a bleak out look on society as a whole, 80% of the world are morons.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
25-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Have you guys watched 'Hotel Rwanda'? One of my favorite movies. There is a part in there where the reporter basically says that unless news directly affects Americans then they read it, have a sad moment, then go about their lives and think nothing more of it. Its the same here. Unless this directly relates to them they will comment and never think about it again. Americans, as a whole, are ignorant and selfish. Sure there are a few that buck the trend. I have met a few here. But overall.....its a sad time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-06-2011, 05:19 AM
That is standard import prohibition for the Saudis - and applies to any airline flying into there.
Delta is not going to extend this prohibition to other countries.
What would be interesting is the definition they use for a religious item?
Is my atheist pin regarded as a religious item?
26-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Wearing an atheist pin to Saudi Arabia? You know they kill those who don't believe simply for questioning the books right? I don't think you'd want to take it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
26-06-2011, 06:50 PM
The problem here isn't the rantings of a few morons on the internet. The problem is that this very misleading and inaccurate story has been written and distributed to the public as if this is something new.

From the article:
Colby M. May, senior counsel of the American Center for Law and Justice, a conservative legal group founded by religious broadcaster Pat Robertson, said his office is trying to determine if the agreement runs afoul of U.S. law.

For those not familiar with Pat Robertson, let's just say that tolerance of other beliefs and religions is not really his strong point. Pat Robertson complaining about religion intolerance has all the credibility of al Queda complaining about violence on TV.

The Saudis deserve all the bad press they get for their policies but the Huffington Post and Yahoo "news" should be embarrassed for running this stupid story.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
27-06-2011, 01:28 AM
I've tried everything I could to write those websites about their inaccurate news writing. Like in the article I mentioned above (about the soldiers) or in another article where Huffington Post said they heard from sources (non-specified none the less) that Hilary Clinton was resigning from her cabinet job.

I think people need to band together and demand that this false reporting needs to stop. They make Fox news look like BBC at this rate.

I guess that the writers of these news articles don't really care about accuracy or their editors, they just think "Well, it's the internet, who really cares?"