Ignorant Meat Eaters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Ignorant Meat Eaters
Woo provocative title :3

One thing I've been noticing a lot of is people who eat meat who show contempt for other meat eaters who are also the meat producers. I've seen it on the TV, read it in comment sections online and encountered it pretty strongly in my day to day life.

I don't really understand it. The other day for example a man I only know vaguely, a pub regular, told me that I must be a 'sadist psychopath' because I raise chickens, then I kill and eat them. While he told me this he was eating a packet of beef jerky.
Another example I was watching on the TV a guy giving a live demonstration of how to butcher a pig in front of an audience at a country show. In the middle of it a man started shouting at him that he was a sicko who was ruining childhoods. The camera turned to him for a second just in time to see him throw a hotdog at someone who was shooing him away. (sorry I don't remember the show name)
And yet another example; a petition was started to try and remove episodes of River Cottage, a British smallholding/cooking show which features lessons of butchery along with other things, because scenes containing taking cuts of meat from animals was considered 'bad for the image of meat products in food'

Personally I find this perplexing. I was raised to respect meat as a food, to know where it comes from, how it comes to be and how to treat it properly in cooking. I can understand maybe someone who doesn't know anything about meat could be disturbed seeing what an unprepared carcass looks like and the process of it being prepared, but what I can't understand is those people then continuing to eat meat, or becoming aggressive against the process they live off.

"I will eat meat, but I will also display disgust for the people who raise and prepare the meat for me" - seems extremely bizarre to me, but it also appears to be common.

Any thoughts on this?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cetaceaphile's post
09-10-2014, 11:07 AM
RE: Ignorant Meat Eaters
Some people just don't like the idea of how we get meat even though we eat it. I don't have much of a problem with killing other animals for meat; we are omnivores after all. I do, however, prefer getting meat with less suffering, so I don't prefer to support farm factories.
[+] 7 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post
09-10-2014, 11:10 AM
(09-10-2014 11:01 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Woo provocative title :3

One thing I've been noticing a lot of is people who eat meat who show contempt for other meat eaters who are also the meat producers. I've seen it on the TV, read it in comment sections online and encountered it pretty strongly in my day to day life.

I don't really understand it. The other day for example a man I only know vaguely, a pub regular, told me that I must be a 'sadist psychopath' because I raise chickens, then I kill and eat them. While he told me this he was eating a packet of beef jerky.
Another example I was watching on the TV a guy giving a live demonstration of how to butcher a pig in front of an audience at a country show. In the middle of it a man started shouting at him that he was a sicko who was ruining childhoods. The camera turned to him for a second just in time to see him throw a hotdog at someone who was shooing him away. (sorry I don't remember the show name)
And yet another example; a petition was started to try and remove episodes of River Cottage, a British smallholding/cooking show which features lessons of butchery along with other things, because scenes containing taking cuts of meat from animals was considered 'bad for the image of meat products in food'

Personally I find this perplexing. I was raised to respect meat as a food, to know where it comes from, how it comes to be and how to treat it properly in cooking. I can understand maybe someone who doesn't know anything about meat could be disturbed seeing what an unprepared carcass looks like and the process of it being prepared, but what I can't understand is those people then continuing to eat meat, or becoming aggressive against the process they live off.

"I will eat meat, but I will also display disgust for the people who raise and prepare the meat for me" - seems extremely bizarre to me, but it also appears to be common.

Any thoughts on this?

Ignorant people act ignorant. Most people are so far removed from the food chain that they can't wrap their head around the fact that the piece of meat sitting in cellophane in the supermarket was at one time a cow. That being said there are some practices in commercial farming that are deplorable. Overcrowded feedlots, chickens kept in cages just slightly bigger than they are, and several other instances of what is cruel treatment for the sake of an expedited (not better) product. As for you raising chickens you eat, well that was reality for almost all humans for the last 30,000 years.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-10-2014, 11:14 AM
(09-10-2014 11:10 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:01 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Woo provocative title :3

Any thoughts on this?

Ignorant people act ignorant. Most people are so far removed from the food chain that they can't wrap their head around the fact that the piece of meat sitting in cellophane in the supermarket was at one time a cow. That being said there are some practices in commercial farming that are deplorable. Overcrowded feedlots, chickens kept in cages just slightly bigger than they are, and several other instances of what is cruel treatment for the sake of an expedited (not better) product. As for you raising chickens you eat, well that was reality for almost all humans for the last 30,000 years.

I believe it's more like 10,000 - 12,000 years. Consider

Still a fuck of a long time. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Weird.

I've had more comments come from vegans telling me that if I knew where my meat came from, I wouldn't eat it anymore. And then I tell them I grew up around farms, have killed my own food, I have petted and fed the cows and lambs I ate before they were slaughtered, etc. I mean, I understand that some people are squeamish (including those who eat meat) but it weirds me out that people are in total denial.
[+] 4 users Like amyb's post
09-10-2014, 11:21 AM
I prefer not to think about the killing of animals for my sustenance, but it's not like I don't know it happens. If I hadn't been exposed to meat in the manner I had been (far removed from the source), I would probably be a vegetarian. Not because I think it is wrong to eat meat. I love meat, and think animals consuming each other is natural. But because the concept of eating an animal is something that saddens/disturbs me personally. I've been desensitized to certain animals, and those are the ones I eat. But still, I don't know if I could ever eat an animal that I've interacted with while it was alive.

...That's just me.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
09-10-2014, 11:26 AM
(09-10-2014 11:21 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I prefer not to think about the killing of animals for my sustenance, but it's not like I don't know it happens. If I hadn't been exposed to meat in the manner I had been (far removed from the source), I would probably be a vegetarian. Not because I think it is wrong to eat meat. I love meat, and think animals consuming each other is natural. But because the concept of eating an animal is something that saddens/disturbs me personally. I've been desensitized to certain animals, and those are the ones I eat. But still, I don't know if I could ever eat an animal that I've interacted with while it was alive.

...That's just me.

I think you would find the exact opposite if you were exposed to an actual working free range farm. Being so far removed from the process is what causes the problem far more than close contact.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-10-2014, 11:34 AM
(09-10-2014 11:18 AM)amyb Wrote:  Weird.

I've had more comments come from vegans telling me that if I knew where my meat came from, I wouldn't eat it anymore. And then I tell them I grew up around farms, have killed my own food, I have petted and fed the cows and lambs I ate before they were slaughtered, etc. I mean, I understand that some people are squeamish (including those who eat meat) but it weirds me out that people are in total denial.

Well, people are in denial about where they came from - I mean, who wants to think about their parents having sex? Blink

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
09-10-2014, 11:35 AM
When I was in 5th grade they brought a cow to school so we could see where milk came from.

Yeah, life in the big city.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-10-2014, 11:51 AM
I've been largely meat free for a couple years now, discounting a few Army related situations in which there simply wasn't much other choice, not because I have anything against the consumption of meat in and of itself but because I'm basically the opposite type of weird as compared to the above mentioned people. I grew up hunting and fishing. When I was 8 I was killing rabbits and squirrels with a slingshot and cleaning and cooking them myself, and by the time I was 10 I was hunting with a 30-30 Winchester 94 and had moved to larger prey. Note that I always ate what I killed. Hunting purely for sport never really appealed to me (that's not to say I didn't enjoy it, a lot). It was packaged factory meat, rather than hands on killing, that ultimately started to turn me off. Quite a turnaround for me, considering I've had everything from dog to roasted tarantula.

'Murican Canadian