Ignorant Meat Eaters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 12:07 PM
RE: Ignorant Meat Eaters
I don't necessarily blame anyone for being hypocritical. The success of industrialization, if you want to call it success, has created a bubble in which most people spend their lives. They don't have to see the violence that is necessary for everything from the production of their food to the resources they need to survive without even realizing it. When they do see it, they find it revolting, often lashing out while completely failing to connect the dots.

To me, the grocery store going meat eater who criticizes the hunter or the farmer is no different than the consumer who criticizes the oil corporations despite the fact that 80% of their own possessions are petroleum based and most of the services they rely on, from roads to medical care, are also petroleum reliant.

We see something we don't like, and we refuse to acknowledge that we are one of the primary benefactors even if we don't actually get our hands dirty.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
09-10-2014, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 12:47 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Sorry thread closed temporarily for a needed split.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Replies to diddo97 can be made here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...eat-Eaters

09-10-2014, 01:29 PM
(09-10-2014 11:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, people are in denial about where they came from - I mean, who wants to think about their parents having sex? Blink

Not me, that's for sure. ^_^

But yeah, I suppose it's just a side-effect of the division of labor and specialization, and when you don't live on or near farms, you just don't see it, and then people are sometimes shocked by it.

I don't tend to think about the process involved in making my shoes, either, because I don't have any involvement in it besides buying them at the store. With meat, because of death and blood and guts being involved, some people have a more dramatic reaction to it at times.

Quote:When I was in 5th grade they brought a cow to school so we could see where milk came from.
I remember taking field trips to farms. I also remember my 2nd grade teacher dissecting a pig's eyeball in front of us. Some people had to leave the room for that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2014, 01:32 PM
(09-10-2014 01:29 PM)amyb Wrote:  I don't tend to think about the process involved in making my shoes, either, because I don't have any involvement in it besides buying them at the store. With meat, because of death and blood and guts being involved, some people have a more dramatic reaction to it at times.

The same "death and blood and guts" is involved for leather shoes. And belts and handbags and jackets.
It may be that leather is another step removed compared to meat.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Leather seems to be removed enough to create the bizarre effect of PETA members throwing blood at people in fur while wearing suede jackets.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
09-10-2014, 01:48 PM
I do know some vegans who won't use any leather for any purpose, though. But that makes me wonder, how many animals are killed just for their skins? I know some furry critters are killed for fur, but I thought leather was just another thing they make from an animal when it's been killed for other reasons mainly. I'd think just throwing it away would be worse than attempting to use more parts of it, more wasteful anyway. I've given up on trying to understand my vegan friends on matters like these, though. I think it's naive to think that you can eliminate all suffering from the world (which I guess is what they are going for), though I can agree with trying to do things more humanely. That, and I'm an omnivore and meat is delicious.

Oh gawd, PETA... I had to block all PETA shit from Facebook because I have an aunt that reposts the shit. They are just about the worst hypocrites ever.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
09-10-2014, 02:03 PM
(09-10-2014 01:44 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Leather seems to be removed enough to create the bizarre effect of PETA members throwing blood at people in fur while wearing suede jackets.

Yep this....

I have a girlfriend with a gorgeous mink coat that's from the 1940s that she's petrified to wear for that reason.

09-10-2014, 02:42 PM
(09-10-2014 01:48 PM)amyb Wrote:  I do know some vegans who won't use any leather for any purpose, though. But that makes me wonder, how many animals are killed just for their skins? I know some furry critters are killed for fur, but I thought leather was just another thing they make from an animal when it's been killed for other reasons mainly. I'd think just throwing it away would be worse than attempting to use more parts of it, more wasteful anyway. I've given up on trying to understand my vegan friends on matters like these, though. I think it's naive to think that you can eliminate all suffering from the world (which I guess is what they are going for), though I can agree with trying to do things more humanely. That, and I'm an omnivore and meat is delicious.

Oh gawd, PETA... I had to block all PETA shit from Facebook because I have an aunt that reposts the shit. They are just about the worst hypocrites ever.

Yes, farming was a part of everyday life for most people a century ago. As the small family farm has waned into almost non-existence the corporate farm has taken over. My grandfather had cows which he later slaughtered but it was a few cows and those cows live a nice little life out in the grass grazing here and there. The corporate farms are hideous and the animals are treated horribly. They are just a widget to be moved along on a conveyor belt and I think many people have a problem with that. I eat meat but I do wish the animal had a better life. It's not the slaughter that's the problem for me it's the sad life they live for our convenience.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Meat is a required food group and vegetarianism is a luxury for those who can afford to buy only the more expensive greens.
I love the taste but I like it if there was a way to obtain the meat without harming animals. Like in-vitro meat for example.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson