Ignorant Meat Eaters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 02:52 PM
RE: Ignorant Meat Eaters
(09-10-2014 02:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:44 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Leather seems to be removed enough to create the bizarre effect of PETA members throwing blood at people in fur while wearing suede jackets.

Yep this....

I have a girlfriend with a gorgeous mink coat that's from the 1940s that she's petrified to wear for that reason.

I want to see them do that to a rap star with his full posse behind him. So much easier to intimidate old white women.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-10-2014, 02:54 PM
I just don't think there is a solution that allows for zero suffering of anything in the world. Part of it is that we do live in cities and we do have specialization of labor. We can't just let all the animals go and everyone stops eating meat for many reasons. For one, they'd overrun the cities, They'd cause accidents and kill people that way. Then they'd starve to death, which is slower and more painful than a bolt to the head. I mean that, if people really want to do away with agriculture and domestication of animals, they'd also need to throw away their iPhones and do away with civilization. A lot of these people also seem to deny that humans are animals, because they are ok with other animals killing and eating each other. Nature isn't all fluffy happy bunnies frolicking in the meadows; it's also wolves killing and eating those bunnies, and orcas playing catch with living baby seals, etc. I just feel like a lot of vegans I know are in complete denial about the world in general.

I live in rural PA. If you go more than 10 miles in any direction, you see farms. Many of my relatives had farms, and the ones who didn't were all hunters and fishermen. I grew up seeing meat as a normal part of everyday life, seeing the cows and sheep grazing on the farms. I have photos of my brother as a toddler posing with a gutted deer in my grandpa's basement. I guess I just see the whole ethical vegan thing as futile and naive, like when they "liberate" non-native species that end up being run over by trucks or wreaking havoc on the ecosystem. Yes, there is room for improvement, but I don't think it's an all or nothing thing, or that it would even be good for all people to stop eating meat. Last I checked, the calories/protein/fat in meat was responsible for humans growing larger brains.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post
10-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Our population is to large to feed with free ranged live stock. Cost would go up and supply would go down with out the factory farms. The practices are not real good in the factory farms, but who wants to pay many times more for meat.
10-10-2014, 01:47 PM
(09-10-2014 02:54 PM)amyb Wrote:  ... but I don't think it's an all or nothing thing...

Yes, quite.

... this is my signature!
10-10-2014, 02:07 PM
I think eating ignorant meat is preferable to eating knowledgeable meat.

It's just a personal preference.

Drinking Beverage

10-10-2014, 02:23 PM
I think over all it is stupid to judge others by what they raise and their diet. Humans evolved to be omnivores. The only valid argument I can see is to kill the animal as quickly and painlessly as possible, don't kill endangered species, or hunt merely for sport. And don't call it a sport because it is not, it is a trap.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2014, 04:13 PM
(09-10-2014 11:01 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Woo provocative title :3

One thing I've been noticing a lot of is people who eat meat who show contempt for other meat eaters who are also the meat producers. I've seen it on the TV, read it in comment sections online and encountered it pretty strongly in my day to day life.

I don't really understand it. The other day for example a man I only know vaguely, a pub regular, told me that I must be a 'sadist psychopath' because I raise chickens, then I kill and eat them. While he told me this he was eating a packet of beef jerky.
Another example I was watching on the TV a guy giving a live demonstration of how to butcher a pig in front of an audience at a country show. In the middle of it a man started shouting at him that he was a sicko who was ruining childhoods. The camera turned to him for a second just in time to see him throw a hotdog at someone who was shooing him away. (sorry I don't remember the show name)
And yet another example; a petition was started to try and remove episodes of River Cottage, a British smallholding/cooking show which features lessons of butchery along with other things, because scenes containing taking cuts of meat from animals was considered 'bad for the image of meat products in food'

Personally I find this perplexing. I was raised to respect meat as a food, to know where it comes from, how it comes to be and how to treat it properly in cooking. I can understand maybe someone who doesn't know anything about meat could be disturbed seeing what an unprepared carcass looks like and the process of it being prepared, but what I can't understand is those people then continuing to eat meat, or becoming aggressive against the process they live off.

"I will eat meat, but I will also display disgust for the people who raise and prepare the meat for me" - seems extremely bizarre to me, but it also appears to be common.

Any thoughts on this?

That is rather strange. I can't say I understand that at all. When I had my "aha" moment I felt deeply personally responsible for what I ate.
10-10-2014, 05:51 PM
(09-10-2014 11:18 AM)amyb Wrote:  Weird.

I've had more comments come from vegans telling me that if I knew where my meat came from, I wouldn't eat it anymore. And then I tell them I grew up around farms, have killed my own food, I have petted and fed the cows and lambs I ate before they were slaughtered, etc. I mean, I understand that some people are squeamish (including those who eat meat) but it weirds me out that people are in total denial.

I was listening to an interview today about Cesar Chavez, and whoever it was was saying "Where do these vegans think their salads come from anyway ? They come from hot fields where migrant workers are stooped over, long hours, working for nothing". Is abuse of humans better that animals ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-10-2014, 10:51 PM
(10-10-2014 05:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:18 AM)amyb Wrote:  Weird.

I've had more comments come from vegans telling me that if I knew where my meat came from, I wouldn't eat it anymore. And then I tell them I grew up around farms, have killed my own food, I have petted and fed the cows and lambs I ate before they were slaughtered, etc. I mean, I understand that some people are squeamish (including those who eat meat) but it weirds me out that people are in total denial.

I was listening to an interview today about Cesar Chavez, and whoever it was was saying "Where do these vegans think their salads come from anyway ? They come from hot fields where migrant workers are stooped over, long hours, working for nothing". Is abuse of humans better that animals ?

No they are both wrong. We shouldn't do either.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
11-10-2014, 08:00 AM
(10-10-2014 10:51 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 05:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I was listening to an interview today about Cesar Chavez, and whoever it was was saying "Where do these vegans think their salads come from anyway ? They come from hot fields where migrant workers are stooped over, long hours, working for nothing". Is abuse of humans better that animals ?

No they are both wrong. We shouldn't do either.

I get my salad from my garden so I can avoid that. I find it very interesting though that most vegans and those 'organic hippy' types get almost all of their food from health shops; bizarre 'superfoods' imported from all over the world. They build up an insane carbon footprint by eating everything imported, and they are funding slave labour, yet the majority of them look down on people who produce their own food, especially if livestock is involved.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.