Ignorant Meat Eaters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2014, 05:24 AM
RE: Ignorant Meat Eaters
I must say this is a great topic. I'm squeamish about killing animals/hunting and I love meat! Everyones different I guess. I go fishing and don't like gutting a fish, or eating them. I like to help people but couldn't be a surgeon. If I had to produce all of my food I'd probably be a vegetarian and keep all my pets. Might have something to do with how you are raised. I personally have alot of empathy for the abattoir workers they do the dirty job and have a normal life afterwards, and carry around a good deal of stigma. We are the top of the food chain, if we cite animal cruelty what about the worms the chickens eat. In fact, if we all never ate cow there wouldn't be nearly as many around to live happily, free from predators and growing fat.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Re: Ignorant Meat Eaters
Reminds me of my grandfather. He was a cattle farmer on his brother's farm in Nova Scotia. He could help with everything but couldn't personally kill anything. Someone else would kill the chickens though Grandpa could bring them forward and handle the bodies. And his hunting stories? Everyone knew they were fake. Smile
26-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Personally I refuse to be squeimish about anything I can't justify as some kind of safety hazard. So the bodily fluids of non-sick people, worms, dirt. So long as I can get to soap before I eat it's not a problem.

I bring that up as it was explained to me by my Uncle when we used to go fishing together. It was kinda dull once I got over that hump but it was seldom enough to be special and I enjoyed spending time with him. I only stopped because of a terrible shallow waters fishing trip (I'd never been on a boat before. Turns out I get terribly sea sick.), and because I decided I couldn't justify it. Even when we ate the catch it was still a less efficent way and a more harmful way of obtaining it than just getting it from a fishery or place supplied by a fishery. (And fishery fish tastes better. And I was never any good. And I'm kinda lazy.)

I think that doing the least amount of harm to an animal only becomes more important when it's being farmed. We control when it comes into the world, we control when it goes out. Everything in between should be as pleasant as possible.
(09-10-2014 11:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Quite a turnaround for me, considering I've had from dog to roasted tarantula.
What's tarantula like? How was it served and hows roasting go as a way of cooking it? I'd assume steaming or frying would work best as it's got a fairly high surface area and that'd give you the option of crispifing the exoskeleton or softening it per the needs of the dish.
26-10-2014, 07:30 AM
The bird catchers in Venezuela are big enough that you can roast them and pull meat out of their bodies and legs much like you would with a crab, and they're delicious.

Others, like the ones you sometimes find being sold on Wang Fu Jing in Beijing are too small for that so they're just roasted until the whole thing is crispy. Pretty tasteless really, mostly just eaten so you can say you did it.

'Murican Canadian
26-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Meh.

I would have no problem sticking a pig, stringing it up till it's dead, then butchering it while I warm up the stove to cook the bacon.

I am human. I am a meat eater. I am perfectly natural, and within my animalistic rights to hunt, kill, and eat meat. Since I am expected to bring home the bacon every day, then I am damn well going to eat it!

It is unnatural for humans to not eat meat.

Now let's all have a hotdog, shall we?

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
26-10-2014, 08:54 PM
(09-10-2014 01:44 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Leather seems to be removed enough to create the bizarre effect of PETA members throwing blood at people in fur while wearing suede jackets.

Where does PETA get the blood? Out of bean sprouts? Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
27-10-2014, 07:34 PM
(26-10-2014 08:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:44 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Leather seems to be removed enough to create the bizarre effect of PETA members throwing blood at people in fur while wearing suede jackets.

Where does PETA get the blood? Out of bean sprouts? Consider

I think they actually use red paint most of the time, but I'd think that the 99% of the animals they rescue and then kill would be a good source if they wanted to use real blood.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.