Ignoring History

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Re: RE: Ignoring History
(03-09-2013 02:33 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 10:09 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Alien can call it whatever he likes. He can mark it on his map as whatever he likes. If 80% of us die from the diseases he brings and we subsequently adopt his name through overwhelming cultural force, I'd feel imposed upon Tongue .

But no, seriously, from the perspective of people who don't know about a thing, finding out about a thing is discovering a thing; the people who already know about the thing are as unknown as the thing itself, and are themselves ignorant of the finders-to-be; that the people already aware of the thing did know about the thing is immaterial. If you follow me.

I might as well complain when people refer to the 'discovery' or 'invention' of, say, penicillin, or insulin. Those things already existed...

So, perhaps it's just political. The Vikings discovered North America in the 980s, but we don't have a holiday to celebrate them. I guess ol' Christopher just had much better p.r..

Maybe it's about scope. Let's say there's an aborigine tribe that is so isolated that they haven't had any contact with outsiders. One day, ...um... Carl decides that he wants to see what's beyond the horizon. He builds a rafty/canoey thing and he eventually bumps into Asia. From Carl's perspective, he discovered it, but he won't be mentioned in any history book. Perhaps just an honorable petroglyph back home.

So, a "thing" can be discovered innumerable times by different entities until the knowledge reaches full population saturation? Yes? No? Maybe so?

Not only is ignoring history a issue... I guess ignoring honors to history is still prevalent.

There is a holiday to celebrate the Vikings discovery... look at a calender in October, Leif Erikson Day is October 9th. Its been national recognized holiday since the 60s.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2013, 04:36 PM
RE: Ignoring History
(17-09-2013 06:03 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Not only is ignoring history a issue... I guess ignoring honors to history is still prevalent.

There is a holiday to celebrate the Vikings discovery... look at a calender in October, Leif Erikson Day is October 9th. Its been national recognized holiday since the 60s.

I have no such day on my calendar. It must be a regional recognition.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
19-09-2013, 12:49 PM
(02-09-2013 01:50 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Why does America like ignoring historical facts and pulling shit out of their ass?

Hitler wasn't an atheist, he was Roman Catholic

MLK wasn't a republican, he didn't side with either party

Jane Goodall wasn't a lesbian, she was married for 12 years

Marie Antoinette never said "Let them eat cake!"

Why do you feel the need to Lump over 300 million people in the same cart.

I have never heard any american say goodall was a lesbian it is a common fact she was married twice.

Have you ever talked with Hitler? Hitler was a genocidal tyrant who gives a shit which fake god he prayed to?

Why do people feel the need to say Americans this or Americans that when we are a country of individuals just like whatever part of the world you hail from?

Just save it man and be a human first and you won't need to be this intolerant.
19-09-2013, 01:47 PM
(02-09-2013 01:50 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Why does America like ignoring historical facts and pulling shit out of their ass?

I don't think any particular nation has a stronghold on ignorance of historical facts. The things you mentioned... I don't know where you got them... perhaps YOU have been .... misinformed. Or perhaps you simply fraternize with ignorant people who happen to be Americans.

Besides all of the odd, clichéd things you purport to be "facts" which all Americans seemingly state to be historically accurate (which are indeed, not), ... to what specific incident of planetary interest are you making reference?

Hmm?

I only ask because, I would be one of those Americans you seem to wholeheartedly accuse of being somehow not up to your standard of ... hmm... having paid attention to each and every episode of Qi. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-09-2013, 01:53 PM
(19-09-2013 01:47 PM)kim Wrote:  ... having paid attention to each and every episode of Qi.

Has your mother sold her mangle?

... this is my signature!
19-09-2013, 05:02 PM
ignoring history may cause people to to believe today that Hussein had WMD and bush was wasn't lying..........Drinking Beverage There is a large percentage of americans that still don't know that bush lied and that there were no WMD found.

Ignoring the present may also give one a false sense in the future. Example: if one didn't notice the US recently taking certain groups off of it's terror list or waiving certain anti-terror laws so that certain terrorist groups can receive funding....might in the future cause someone to completely deny the facts as to who is funding these terrorists.