Igtheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
11-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Igtheism
I came across a new word today: Igtheism. New as in new to me; I'm hoping some of you have heard of it. If I'm lucky, you'd be willing to help me understand it a bit more.

From what I've gathered it's definition is debatable, and there are a few approaches to it. Some online consider it to be slightly near to "weak" Atheism and Agnosticism. Others say it's separate to atheism, which I agree with.

Igtheism:

Wiki defines it as:
Quote:Ignosticism or igtheism is the theological position that every other theological position (including agnosticism and atheism) assumes too much about the concept of God and many other theological concepts.
(linkhere)

Yahoo Answers had this to say:
Quote:The term igtheism is ig + theism i.e. ignorance of what the term ‘god’ means; even a denial that it means anything at all. So an igtheist is not denying that god exists, they are denying that the term ‘god’ actually refers to anything meaningful at all.
(linkhere)

I look forward to replies, and hopefully a little help in understanding this nugget of a word.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 07:55 PM
RE: Igtheism
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...Who-is-God

Hmm...I guess I am more accurately an Igtheist then.

11-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Oooh - interesting.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
11-10-2012, 10:04 PM
As you requested, this is my take on it.

Dark Light Wrote:Well, I had never heard of it before you posted that but from what I can tell based on the links that you posted was that Ignosticism presumes nothing about the nature of God. Since God is different things to different people it would be meaningless to say that you don't believe that there is a God or any other statements about God because God hasn't been defined. How can you know that you don't believe in something if you don't know what that something is. If I have interpreted the meaning of Ignosticism correctly than that is precisely what I was talking about on the thread I linked to in the post.
Dark Light Wrote:I wrote that before I could read more about it, and now that I have I will add to it. In addition to what I said about Ignosticism and Ignostics, they also take the stance that because 'God' is an unfalsifiable concept it is also meaningless to talk about. I am not sure about that one personally though. How can you say something is unfalsifiable if you don't even know what 'it' is? You can't. But then again that is from a Wikipedia entry so I will take that with a grain of salt. Anyhow, I think that label fits me better than Atheist, but for simplicities sake I will probably maintain the Atheist label in casual conversation for simplicities sake, Ignosticism seems to be a rather esoteric concept and term.

11-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Is there an IdonotknowandIdonotcareism?

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
11-10-2012, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 11:24 PM by Dark Light.)
(11-10-2012 11:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Is there an IdonotknowandIdonotcareism?

Yes, its called ignorance and apathy.

EDIT: To satisfy the ism, how 'bout Ignapothopisim? Eh?

[+] 4 users Like Dark Light's post
11-10-2012, 11:19 PM
so is the theological position that says that any theological position is a semantic dead-end... Ok Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
11-10-2012, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 11:31 PM by Dark Light.)
(11-10-2012 11:19 PM)nach_in Wrote:  so is the theological position that says that any theological position is a semantic dead-end... Ok Tongue

Is it really theological though? Consider It could be seen as non-theology.

Essentially, yes though . Unless we can somehow detect god/gods/whatever and recognize it as such.

11-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Theology means the study of God. Ignosticism means you can't study God because we don't know what the concept even means. I'm going to say it Ant-Theological.

12-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Yep, that would be me; ignostic apatheist. If one must hang a label. Dodgy

Ignosticism simply states any god concept is irrelevant and therefore, meaningless. Apatheist is kind of an addendum which posits, why would anyone care about something which is meaningless?

Apatheism can be a yes or no kind of thing; there might be a god, might not be a god, either way who gives a shit?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post