Igtheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
02-12-2016, 12:58 AM
RE: Igtheism
Hello!

Welcome to the forum. Thumbsup

(01-12-2016 11:47 PM)JT1960 Wrote:  I would be very interested in hearing serious or opposing opinions on the subject of Igtheism. You can message me privately if you like to avoid being accosted by anti intellectual trolls such as those listed above.

Thanks!

Yeah, is a wonderful aspect of the English language. Need a new 'definition' for a concept? Just make up some random sound. Assign letters that match the sound as best you can.

Keep using said new 'Word' when ever talking about said new concept and viola!

Igthiesm might be useful... might be not. We'll have to see how things go.

I mean, if folks want to keep getting ever increasingly pedantic about how one does and does not believe in things then, yeah, maybe we need the word 'Igtheism' in the lexicon. Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2016, 01:24 AM
(02-12-2016 12:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 11:47 PM)JT1960 Wrote:  Apparently users SYZ and Fireball have given me negative reviews based on the fact that I made the grievous error of posting on an old thread.

I would be very interested in hearing serious or opposing opinions on the subject of Igtheism. You can message me privately if you like to avoid being accosted by anti intellectual trolls such as those listed above.

Thanks!

TTA is a community as much as it is a discussion forum.

Imagine you are hosting a party and a stranger bursts through the door and expresses their opinion on a random topic.

The other guests will have various reactions. There will be some, no doubt, who will be intrigued by what the stranger has to say.

Some, I suspect, will respond with "And who the fuck are you?"

Others will just turn their backs and go back to their on-going conversations.

As the host, what do you do?

Confused

Well first of all nobody burst through the door. But sure, I'll play. If it were my party I would invite the person in offer them something to drink and tell them that we had been disusing that very issue quite a while ago and then (if I were interested) offer my opinion.

If other guests started making rude comments or suggestions I think I would politely ask them to leave. Or, I would ask them to sit at the children's table and not interrupt the adults. Or, maybe throw them a shiny object to play with. I definitely would not show my guest some played out esoteric meme of captain Picard grabbing his face.

I would not expect my other guests that are not interested in the conversation to offer an opinion and would not solicit them to do so.
02-12-2016, 01:34 AM
(02-12-2016 12:58 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello!

Welcome to the forum. Thumbsup

(01-12-2016 11:47 PM)JT1960 Wrote:  I would be very interested in hearing serious or opposing opinions on the subject of Igtheism. You can message me privately if you like to avoid being accosted by anti intellectual trolls such as those listed above.

Thanks!

Yeah, is a wonderful aspect of the English language. Need a new 'definition' for a concept? Just make up some random sound. Assign letters that match the sound as best you can.

Keep using said new 'Word' when ever talking about said new concept and viola!

Igthiesm might be useful... might be not. We'll have to see how things go.

I mean, if folks want to keep getting ever increasingly pedantic about how one does and does not believe in things then, yeah, maybe we need the word 'Igtheism' in the lexicon. Consider

Thank you, Peebothuhul . I don't know why you would consider this concept new. It has been around for a while. I'm am not sure why you would think the reference as pedantic. It is a concept that I consider to be more atheistic than whatever your definition is. Or not... In my world belief or non belief is irrelevant.
02-12-2016, 01:44 AM
(02-12-2016 01:34 AM)JT1960 Wrote:  Thank you, Peebothuhul . I don't know why you would consider this concept new. It has been around for a while. I'm am not sure why you would think the reference as pedantic. It is a concept that I consider to be more atheistic than whatever your definition is. Or not... In my world belief or non belief is irrelevant.

You're welcome. Thumbsup

Well.. as for 'New'? The term certainly wasn't around when I were a wee sprat. Big Grin

Not that the term is 'pedantic' but that people seem to think that the current crop of words that are around aren't up to the task of being 'right' for describing the concepts.

That you think the word matches a concept which you think needs being used/described is great.

We'll see if the world at large also agrees and the term spreads and takes hold.

Thumbsup
02-12-2016, 01:49 AM
(02-12-2016 01:24 AM)JT1960 Wrote:  
(02-12-2016 12:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  TTA is a community as much as it is a discussion forum.

Imagine you are hosting a party and a stranger bursts through the door and expresses their opinion on a random topic.

The other guests will have various reactions. There will be some, no doubt, who will be intrigued by what the stranger has to say.

Some, I suspect, will respond with "And who the fuck are you?"

Others will just turn their backs and go back to their on-going conversations.

As the host, what do you do?

Confused

Well first of all nobody burst through the door. But sure, I'll play. If it were my party I would invite the person in offer them something to drink and tell them that we had been disusing that very issue quite a while ago and then (if I were interested) offer my opinion.

If other guests started making rude comments or suggestions I think I would politely ask them to leave. Or, I would ask them to sit at the children's table and not interrupt the adults. Or, maybe throw them a shiny object to play with. I definitely would not show my guest some played out esoteric meme of captain Picard grabbing his face.

I would not expect my other guests that are not interested in the conversation to offer an opinion and would not solicit them to do so.

As a child in Sunday School, I struggled with the story of the Prodigal Son.

I empathised more with the non-prodigal off-spring.

I mean, they'd been loyal, they'd worked hard and they'd contributed (like Boxer in Animal Farm) and what reward did they get for that?

Not that I have anything against squandering one's property with prostitutes, of course, but c'mon, the dude was obviously faking contrition just to get a square meal. I'll bet he even winked at his brother as he was tucking in to his third helping of fattened calf.

If I was the dad, I'd have told the ingrate to piss off and come back when he had learned some manners.

Did you bring a coat?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-12-2016, 04:58 AM
fee fi fo fum.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-12-2016, 05:37 AM
JT whoever the fuck you are Smile Welcome to our humble forum.

You acted like a prick, you were treated accordingly. QED. Don't go wailing about slack-jawed whatchermacallits, you're the dickhead here. You're obviously not expecting to hang around long, otherwise why would you react to an innocuous picture as if someone had pissed in your cornflakes. Which they probably do, if that's how you treat people in real life.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-12-2016, 07:03 AM
(01-12-2016 10:31 PM)JT1960 Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 09:48 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  [Image: Necro2.jpg]

Pity... I didn't realize they allowed children to post on this message board. I guess I will look elsewhere for intelligent discourse.

Necroposting is generally frowned on in most forums because the people you are responding to are often long gone and the thread had ended because the participants let it die off. A generally better option is to start a new thread and perhaps link the old one for reference. I say that because you act like you are new to message boards.

That said, Paleophyte made a joke about it and your choice was to go all vituperative. That comes across as arrogant and obnoxious. Perhaps you did not lurk here a while to get to know the personalities and how this forum works. This is a place for serious discussions but it is also a place for the members to just get away from real life and be free to interact without being told they are going to hell. Not everything has to be deathly serious at all times. In other words, lighten up.

As for igtheism, it is an interesting clarification of a specific position but I don't think it adds much except confusion to the larger discussion with theists. Whether I don't believe because no god claim has been proven or because nobody has really identified what they are trying to prove doesn't change the fact that I don't believe in any god's existence.

In many ways it also seems to be putting the cart before the horse. X-rays, for example, were identified by noticing a consistent effect and working from there to figure out the cause. The people involved did not have to know what exactly they were looking for before they could make believable claims that there was something there to be found.

I do appreciate that there is a difference between searching for some unknown particle (which is a new instance of a generally understood thing that exists) and searching for a supernatural entity (which we don't know exists in any sense, have no examples of, and no idea how to look). In that sense, the term igtheist is useful but I find it limits discussion.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 8 users Like unfogged's post
02-12-2016, 05:18 PM
(01-12-2016 10:31 PM)JT1960 Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 09:48 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  [Image: Necro2.jpg]

Pity... I didn't realize they allowed children to post on this message board. I guess I will look elsewhere for intelligent discourse.

Has anybody ever told you that you're impressively thin-skinned? Do you moisturize? Perhaps you just had a really shitty day?

Whatever the reason you don't seem to have the feel for this place and are taking insult where none was intended. Then you're dishing even more out in response. That's unlikely to end well.

My post was a light-hearted joke at your ressurection of a dead thread. I swear, no kittens were harmed in the making of this joke. The smart response was something along the lines of "Oops. My bad. So what do you think about igtheism?" which would have gotten you a discussion of it.

Around here you get the benefit of the doubt from most people. A noob has to make a real effort to warrant a battering straight out of the gate. Few have that degree of wit. Or lack thereof.

So if you want "intelligent discourse" then sheeth the claws and break out the intellect.

---

Igtheism's always struck me as mildly amusing, largely at the expense of the evangelicals who royally deserve it, but of little real use in its pure form. On its own it seems like an annoying 12 year-old who's perpetually asking "Why?" to every response. The believer will always feel that they have defined their deity sufficiently no matter how many times you tell them they haven't.

It's more usefully employed with a variety of other tactics that demonstrate not only that they can't define their deity in a meaningful manner but that every reasonable definition either leads to a logical horror show or a deity so loosely defined as to be meaningless.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 6 users Like Paleophyte's post
02-12-2016, 09:38 PM
On three different occasions this thread has come back to life after being dead for a year. Talk about a Zombie thread. Hobo

As far as igtheism goes one of the first questions we ask a believer is to define their flavor of god, normally that shuts down the discussion for obvious reasons. I like this approach since the one making the claim now has to attempt to describe falsifiable attributes and that's when the fun starts.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post