Igtheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
16-10-2012, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2012 10:44 AM by Logica Humano.)
RE: Igtheism
(15-10-2012 03:44 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(15-10-2012 03:32 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Your assessment of atheism is incorrect.

Person A - I believe in Vishnu.
Person B - Until you define it and provide evidence for its existence, I will not believe that Vishnu exists.

Negative claim, Dark Light. Negative.

Your assessment is incorrect. Vishnu is a defined thing. God is not. You can say I don't believe in Vishnu, but that is not what atheism is. Atheism is a disbelief in god, which is not well defined. You have proven my point, so thank you.

Logica Humano Wrote:It does require it. Unicorns, Leprechauns, Vampires, etc. are all supernatural as well, yes. What's your point? I didn't say all supernatural things are gods, I said all gods are supernatural, or exhibit supernatural characteristics.

Notice how you only responded to part of that? Respond to all of it and then you will see my point.

I fail how to see it is a valid stance to assume that the atheist requires information in order to disbelieve in a deity. You have made no point. Again, Dark Light, perhaps you should look up the term "negative claim". Give me evidence for this defined thing, and you make a valid case. Present me with an undefined concept, you are wasting my time.

I replied to it because it is the only thing that is relevant to Igtheism.

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2012, 05:42 PM
(12-10-2012 01:41 AM)Egor Wrote:  No wonder Ceasar fed them to the lions.

Well....OK....but....what did Caesar believe in at the time?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
16-10-2012, 05:52 PM
It sounds like an unnecessary term to me. People give meaning to the word "god" all the time. I think the problem isn't that the word is meaningless, but rather that it is excessively, redundantly defined by too many competing factions.

Also, if the word "god" has no meaning, then what is an atheist? What are these forums for? What is it we actually discuss here? Nothing?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
16-10-2012, 07:43 PM
(16-10-2012 10:40 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(15-10-2012 03:44 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Your assessment is incorrect. Vishnu is a defined thing. God is not. You can say I don't believe in Vishnu, but that is not what atheism is. Atheism is a disbelief in god, which is not well defined. You have proven my point, so thank you.

Notice how you only responded to part of that? Respond to all of it and then you will see my point.

I fail how to see it is a valid stance to assume that the atheist requires information in order to disbelieve in a deity. You have made no point. Again, Dark Light, perhaps you should look up the term "negative claim". Give me evidence for this defined thing, and you make a valid case. Present me with an undefined concept, you are wasting my time.

Yeah, you don't get it. If you haven't been able to understand after this point int the conversation than you are just incapable of getting it. I am not wasting your time, you are wasting yours, and I, mine.

17-10-2012, 07:43 AM
(16-10-2012 07:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(16-10-2012 10:40 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I fail how to see it is a valid stance to assume that the atheist requires information in order to disbelieve in a deity. You have made no point. Again, Dark Light, perhaps you should look up the term "negative claim". Give me evidence for this defined thing, and you make a valid case. Present me with an undefined concept, you are wasting my time.

Yeah, you don't get it. If you haven't been able to understand after this point int the conversation than you are just incapable of getting it. I am not wasting your time, you are wasting yours, and I, mine.

Oh, no, I totally get your opinion. I just said it is illogical.

17-10-2012, 01:31 PM
(17-10-2012 07:43 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(16-10-2012 07:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Yeah, you don't get it. If you haven't been able to understand after this point int the conversation than you are just incapable of getting it. I am not wasting your time, you are wasting yours, and I, mine.

Oh, no, I totally get your opinion. I just said it is illogical.

When I left him, I reasoned thus with myself: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
17-10-2012, 04:17 PM
(17-10-2012 01:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(17-10-2012 07:43 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Oh, no, I totally get your opinion. I just said it is illogical.

When I left him, I reasoned thus with myself: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.

Again, your opinion would change if you understood what a negative claim is.

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
17-10-2012, 05:38 PM
(17-10-2012 04:17 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(17-10-2012 01:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  When I left him, I reasoned thus with myself: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.

Again, your opinion would change if you understood what a negative claim is.

The absence of evidence is not the same thing as the evidence of absence, but you still must first agree on just what it is that you do not feel there is sufficient evidence for FULL STOP

18-10-2012, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 01:43 AM by Logica Humano.)
(17-10-2012 05:38 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(17-10-2012 04:17 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Again, your opinion would change if you understood what a negative claim is.

The absence of evidence is not the same thing as the evidence of absence, but you still must first agree on just what it is that you do not feel there is sufficient evidence for FULL STOP

Disbelieving because of the lack of evidence is the most logical position anyone could ever take. If I told you there was a dragon in my garage, would you believe me? You might come with me to go check it out, yes? But what if I failed to mention that it was invisible? And then, when you try to check for heat signatures, I mention it does not radiate anything detectable? What would you do? Wouldn't you disbelieve me? Why? Because of the lack of evidence, right? But what if I eventually supplied you with physical, tangible evidence? I would assume you would believe me. That is the position of atheism.

The negative claim that atheism makes causes igtheism to be a ridiculous belief.

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
18-10-2012, 10:38 AM
(18-10-2012 01:40 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(17-10-2012 05:38 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  The absence of evidence is not the same thing as the evidence of absence, but you still must first agree on just what it is that you do not feel there is sufficient evidence for FULL STOP

Disbelieving because of the lack of evidence is the most logical position anyone could ever take. If I told you there was a dragon in my garage, would you believe me? You might come with me to go check it out, yes? But what if I failed to mention that it was invisible? And then, when you try to check for heat signatures, I mention it does not radiate anything detectable? What would you do? Wouldn't you disbelieve me? Why? Because of the lack of evidence, right? But what if I eventually supplied you with physical, tangible evidence? I would assume you would believe me. That is the position of atheism.

The negative claim that atheism makes causes igtheism to be a ridiculous belief.

Congratulations, you've just switched gears from to assumptive knowledge to false analogy! Laughat Since you are going to bitch if I don't address why this is a false analogy I will do so. To say you have an invisible dragon that is undetectable is to define its parameters. An Igtheist can say I don't believe in that magic dragon because the nature of it has been defined, and no evidence has been provided to determine whether it is there or not; but your analogy does not question what a dragon is, in addition, as I have mentioned it put parameters on what a dragon is which is not true for god because it is undefined. Logica, you do NOT get it...

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post