Illegal to urge someone to commit suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Illegal to urge someone to commit suicide
http://rare.us/rare-news/across-the-u-s-...41b85aaeb5

Quote:A Massachusetts judge has found Michelle Carter guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

The case of the young woman who sent her boyfriend text messages urging him to commit suicide garnered national attention.
Conrad Roy III died of carbon monoxide inhalation in his pickup truck outside a Kmart. Records show a lengthy text message history between Roy and his girlfriend Michelle Carter, in which Carter repeatedly urges him to commit suicide.

Maybe this will help get the word out that suggesting suicide isn't the right thing to do. You never know a person's mental state when saying things like this.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post
17-06-2017, 11:19 AM
RE: Illegal to urge someone to commit suicide
Typical of our United States: "fix" problems by throwing those involved into prison. While it clearly isn't commendable that she urged her boyfriend on, it's plain she does not possess a normal state of mind. The issue here is medical, not criminal.
[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
17-06-2017, 11:20 AM
I think that everyone have right to end one's life at any moment but urging other person to end his life isn't something that should be tolerated. I can understand someone not opposing decision of loved one or friend to end life out of respect for x right to decide but what article is about was step too far, rightly being taken into court.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
17-06-2017, 11:27 AM
That's a pretty screwed up story right there, the fact that they presumably were so close and she actually knew he was suicidal makes it just 10x worse.

...and you're right of course about not really being sure of the state of mind of the person you are talking to. I believe that at some point every person has, for one reason or another, contemplated suicide, some more seriously then others, and many of the most likely to commit suicide are good at not showing any outward signs (cause they don't want to be "talked" out of it).

Many people that are showing outward signs, I think don't actually want to do it, they are really looking for help.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
17-06-2017, 11:35 AM
(17-06-2017 11:27 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Many people that are showing outward signs, I think don't actually want to do it, they are really looking for help.

But if they get confirmation instead of help, it might just add to their dispair. In this case it obviously did. I don't know about the details and am in no position to judge her mental health, but this is as screwed up as it gets, short of actually stabbing him. There's quite a number of cases where kids were driven over the edge by so called friends on assbook and other social media. So something has to be done about this. If locking her up is the right solution, I can't say.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
17-06-2017, 11:46 AM
(17-06-2017 11:20 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  ... isn't something that should be tolerated ...

By means that leave a trail, such as electronic texts/email, or US Mail, or by any means, even private unrecorded conversation? Do we apply remedies only because a problem leaves a trail of discovery or try to apply the remedy more generally? Because if more generally, we're gonna have to monitor all inter-personal communication. If that sounds bad, well, you said this was ---

(17-06-2017 11:20 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  ... rightly being taken into court ...

Where you and I part company here is what goes to court and what gets addressed other ways - usually more effectively that thru the criminal justice apparatus. If inter-personal issues don't have only the courts for adjudication then finding ways to more closely observe how we communicate with each other isn't so menacing - and in fact might be more welcoming in that it develops genuine improvements that affect the entire society positively, instead of discarding a single individual for 20 years and 5 minutes of lurid but instantly forgotten headlines.
17-06-2017, 11:46 AM
(17-06-2017 11:07 AM)Anjele Wrote:  http://rare.us/rare-news/across-the-u-s-...41b85aaeb5

Quote:A Massachusetts judge has found Michelle Carter guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

The case of the young woman who sent her boyfriend text messages urging him to commit suicide garnered national attention.
Conrad Roy III died of carbon monoxide inhalation in his pickup truck outside a Kmart. Records show a lengthy text message history between Roy and his girlfriend Michelle Carter, in which Carter repeatedly urges him to commit suicide.

Maybe this will help get the word out that suggesting suicide isn't the right thing to do. You never know a person's mental state when saying things like this.

Sadly, it was pretty clear and deliberate. I don't know if she thought she knew what she was doing but she was certainly out of her league in helping someone through a tough emotional time.

At one point, the boy got out of the vehicle, texting that he didn't think he was able to do it and she texted him to get back in. At one point, she told him he would be in heaven and be happy and relieved.

Later, she told friends how she was on the phone with him and listened to him die. Then, when the investigation was underway, she told friends that they were looking at his phone texts and because of that, she knew she was done.

She's a teenager - teens perceive things in a different way and think differently - it's a reason they are rarely tried as adults. Clearly, the reliance on an afterlife played a part in her perspective and reasoning.

It's a despicable situation. I'm betting the "he will be happy when he's in heaven" issue will be completely ignored or someone will just pull up the old dogma that "suicides don't go to heaven".

The great "heaven incentive" needs to be dragged out into the open and shown for the "comforting" lie that it is.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
17-06-2017, 11:55 AM
(17-06-2017 11:46 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(17-06-2017 11:20 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  ... isn't something that should be tolerated ...

By means that leave a trail, such as electronic texts/email, or US Mail, or by any means, even private unrecorded conversation? Do we apply remedies only because a problem leaves a trail of discovery or try to apply the remedy more generally? Because if more generally, we're gonna have to monitor all inter-personal communication. If that sounds bad, well, you said this was ---

Such twisting of my words say more about you that it ever possibly could say about me. Ever heard of something like context? If no then learn what is it and then look on what I wrote again.

(17-06-2017 11:20 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  ... rightly being taken into court ...

Where you and I part company here is what goes to court and what gets addressed other ways - usually more effectively that thru the criminal justice apparatus. If inter-personal issues don't have only the courts for adjudication then finding ways to more closely observe how we communicate with each other isn't so menacing - and in fact might be more welcoming in that it develops genuine improvements that affect the entire society positively, instead of discarding a single individual for 20 years and 5 minutes of lurid but instantly forgotten headlines.
[/quote]

We parted company when you tried and failed to paint me as some totalitarian loon.

Also she could be more direct cause of this guy dead only if she stabbed him - punishment is fitting, be it prison or psychiatric hospital. But that;s not up to me to decide.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-06-2017, 12:15 PM
After reading through the texts I think she was getting off on how profoundly she was able to manipulate him. I know this is a disturbing conclusion but I think it was ultimately about sexual dominance. I'm sure many people will see nothing sexual in it but I think she was acting out a very sinister fetish.

I'm not interested in punishing her but from a safety standpoint she should be permanently removed from society. Brains that twisted are too hard to fix.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
17-06-2017, 12:19 PM
But it's perfectly legal to talk someone into maiming themselves.......

Think tattoos, piercing and other assorted " body modifications"...

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.