Illegal to urge someone to commit suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2017, 04:10 PM
RE: Illegal to urge someone to commit suicide
(18-06-2017 04:22 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(18-06-2017 04:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Here is another issue with this case, while what this girl did was abhorrent and punishment deserved, I'm more concerned about the family member seeking answers to questions not so clearly laid out and blaming someone that had nothing to do with it. Mental illness hides in the shadows and often from first hand experience, people want to know why and rarely want to accept that they might not ever know exactly why. Generally they want to blame someone or something.

I'm not just talking about people online, but what about musicians, literature, poets, television, movies...can all have a similar impact on someone's decision for self-harm.

The political climate has changed since the 80s/90s.

For me television and (recently?) video games are more like a convenient scapegoat than anything else, though from what I recall they get blamed in murder cases rather than suicides.

On the whole (to my uneducated eye) this case look pretty clear cut but as I said earlier I'm concerned with possibility of precedents taken to extreme, however unlikely that may be.

I dunno about tv. Our school sent home a letter about Netflix snow, 13 reasons why (or something like that).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2017, 04:39 PM
(19-06-2017 04:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-06-2017 04:22 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  For me television and (recently?) video games are more like a convenient scapegoat than anything else, though from what I recall they get blamed in murder cases rather than suicides.

On the whole (to my uneducated eye) this case look pretty clear cut but as I said earlier I'm concerned with possibility of precedents taken to extreme, however unlikely that may be.

I dunno about tv. Our school sent home a letter about Netflix snow, 13 reasons why (or something like that).

13 Reasons Why is a show about a girl that committed suicide, and left 13 tapes targeted to specific people, detailing what they had done to lead her to kill herself. If I remember correctly, that is...

Reputably, the show drew in heavy criticism from medical professionals, depressive, and suicidal communities for glorifying or romanticising suicide, and making a poor portrayal of the reality of suiciders. I read somewhere, can't remember where though, so grain of salt, that suicide attempts spiked in several places after it came out.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-06-2017, 12:52 AM
(19-06-2017 04:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-06-2017 04:22 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  For me television and (recently?) video games are more like a convenient scapegoat than anything else, though from what I recall they get blamed in murder cases rather than suicides.

Allegedly Goethe The Sorrows of Young Werther was responsible for spike in suicide numbers and I would bet that concerned citizens back then called for censure it and tried to blame it for all woes. Now it's the same I think - it's easier to blame television for example than look with critical eye on own shitty parenting and society failure in regard to mental health infrastructure.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-06-2017, 01:23 AM
(19-06-2017 04:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Frankly, both of them sound batshit crazy but if encouraging someone to commit suicide is a crime then why are not alcohol and tobacco companies up on charges for advertising their products? That shit will kill you.

False equivalence. Nobody consumes alcohol or smokes tobacco with the willful intent of ending their lives.

This is the same sort of distorted logic that rabid gun-owners use when they say that motor vehicles kill more people than guns.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
21-06-2017, 10:03 PM
In the messages, Conrad tries to back out of committing suicide multiple times. He hesitates and is very transparent about it. He procrastinates by running errands and going on walks. He puts it off by talking about his parents. And each and every time he pushes off killing himself, she keeps encouraging him to do it, she get's angry/upset/pissy at him if he seems like he is backing out of it (emotionally abusing him) and it's all she literally talks about. She even states that she "feels played and stupid" when it seems like he isn't going to kill himself. He didn't want to die. He was hesitating. He was procrastinating. He kept thinking and talking about his parents and how he didn't want to hurt him. I think he just really wanted help and he wanted someone to let him know that things would be okay. He didn't need an evil bitch pushing him towards death. There were so many moments in those messages in which he backed out, and she could have helped him, but she didn't.

When he finally did it, he filled his car with carbon monoxide, and there was a moment in which he escaped his car to seek fresh air, but she shouted at him "Get back in the fucking car" and when he got back in his car, he died.

She inadvertently murdered him. If she would have helped him, and she had plenty of chances to, he would be alive, and had she actually helped him, or helped him seek help from other sources, he would be alive today. Because in those messages, when you really read into them, he didn't want to die. He wanted help. He backed out so many times, and only kept going back because she kept telling him to. She was manipulating him and playing mind games with him, and whenever he would back out, she'd get upset and angry with him.

She isn't right in the head, and I think her whole bullshit excuse of medication fucking her up in the head (and thus causing this) is a cheap defense method.

Michelle Carter being convicted on involuntary manslaughter is music to my ears, and the parents of Conrad Roy III could not be more pleased with the verdict.
[+] 5 users Like Ferdinand's post