Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 05:49 PM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
(02-02-2017 05:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 03:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "That said, I still don't personally on any level condone *violence of any kind regardless of what the rhetoric is. "

I haven't seen anyone here condone it.

Where did I say directly anyone did and or how did I imply anyone did? I was just making a statement that is true for me 100% of the time.

Quote:"I also understand this person is divisive and generally a dick, but then why ask or allow him to speak in the first place?"

That is what some of us are arguing is the ultimate mistake, letting him speak there. Stupid move. Stupid move to invite him. Stupid move to let him. Stupid move to listen him.

"Why do you think they "expect and want violence"?"

Because they can point to the violence that pops up to try and paint themselves as the victims. As Emma put it, it gives them a convenient excuse to play martyr. "Oh woe is us! We just wanted to express our bigoted and hateful opinions and look at how we were treated! Those angry mean liberals just don't want free speech for anyone but themselves."

Thanks for your replies.

You and a few others in this thread have suggested because of Milo's position on lots of issues, he shouldn't be allowed to speak at a university, in the first place. How does that not end up being the same thing? 'Mean liberal run university wants to silence our freedom of speech'. A good friend once taught me that there are excuses and reasons. The university used the violence as an excuse to uninvited him to speak and he used the protests and violence as a reason to silence him. Both aren't entirely wrong, but they're not entirely right either.

I struggle with this myself. My liberal sensibility agrees they shouldn't be allowed to speak. But then a rational part of me says that they already have a venue to speak mostly unfettered to their websites, blogs, Facebook groups, followers and the like, who knows if they erase comments from rational people and leave the whackadoo comments which further their cause...Let them speak and let others speak after them, refuting the claims they make and describing how divisive their rhetoric is.

Im not saying I have an answer to my personal quandary I'm just saying this where my head it -- and Safari on my laptop just sucks.

Because the university is under no obligation to allow people to speak at it. They don't have the obligation of honoring your freedom of speech. In the same way that I don't have to entertain Jehovah's witnesses that come knocking.

It's common for people to decry "free speech violations," but they're just patently wrong about it. For instance, it's not a free speech violation for the forum to decide that certain groups aren't allowed to post (if it so chose).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2017, 05:57 PM
(02-02-2017 05:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because the university is under no obligation to allow people to speak at it. They don't have the obligation of honoring your freedom of speech. In the same way that I don't have to entertain Jehovah's witnesses that come knocking.

It's common for people to decry "free speech violations," but they're just patently wrong about it. For instance, it's not a free speech violation for the forum to decide that certain groups aren't allowed to post (if it so chose).

You're absolutely 100% They don't have to allow anyone to speak. I'm just saying when someone is disallowed to speak at such a place, how their cause ends up being taken up by others -- ill informed or not.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-02-2017, 06:03 PM
This thread hasn't been up more than 12 hours and it's already at 19 pages.
Jesus some shit must have gone the fuck down.

[Image: oscar.png]
02-02-2017, 06:08 PM
(02-02-2017 06:03 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  This thread hasn't been up more than 12 hours and it's already at 19 pages.

No. They spent most of those pages arguing semantics.

'Murican Canadian
02-02-2017, 06:09 PM
(02-02-2017 05:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 05:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because the university is under no obligation to allow people to speak at it. They don't have the obligation of honoring your freedom of speech. In the same way that I don't have to entertain Jehovah's witnesses that come knocking.

You're absolutely 100% They don't have to allow anyone to speak. I'm just saying when someone is disallowed to speak at such a place, how their cause ends up being taken up by others -- ill informed or not.

I don't know that you'll ever be able to rationalize this to a lot of people. They don't want to hear it or can't understand it. Or even worse, they have someone they trust lying to them about it. What we need is for more people to understand where their rights end and the rights of others begin. I think we all realize this to some extent having had to deal with the religious. I'm reminded of this need every time I use physical money.

-Rick
02-02-2017, 06:10 PM
(02-02-2017 06:08 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 06:03 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  This thread hasn't been up more than 12 hours and it's already at 19 pages.

No. They spent most of those pages arguing semantics.

Did not.

Kinda

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
02-02-2017, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 06:47 PM by GirlyMan.)

I learned what "illiberal" means. Thumbsup

Oh, I had another comment. The problem with these protests is that they are counterproductive, all they do is line the pocket of the "World's Biggest Dick" and galvanize his support even more so he can line even deeper pockets. Dick wants the press. Even better if it's sensational press. Which is another reason why the bad hombres could have been plants. It's what I'd do.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-02-2017, 06:45 PM
(02-02-2017 06:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I learned what "illiberal" means. Thumbsup

Oh, I had another comment. The problem with these protests is that they are counterproductive, all they do is line the pocket of the "World's Biggest Dick" and galvanize his support even more so he can line even deeper pockets. Dude wants the press. Even better if it's sensational press. Which is another reason why the bad hombres could have been plants. It's what I'd do.

Well, we know now that they were not there from the start but came in as a group after everyone else had been there for some time. They did the dirty deed and then left.

And yeah, it's what I would have done too. It discredits all the marches.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Quote: Is this acceptable, uploadable, or deplorable?

I wonder how different the world would be if Germans in the mid 20's had shouted down Hitler instead of listening to him?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
02-02-2017, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 06:55 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-02-2017 06:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 06:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I learned what "illiberal" means. Thumbsup

Oh, I had another comment. The problem with these protests is that they are counterproductive, all they do is line the pocket of the "World's Biggest Dick" and galvanize his support even more so he can line even deeper pockets. Dude wants the press. Even better if it's sensational press. Which is another reason why the bad hombres could have been plants. It's what I'd do.

Well, we know now that they were not there from the start but came in as a group after everyone else had been there for some time. They did the dirty deed and then left. Here's what I'll say, if dick didn't do this then he doesn't get to advertise himself as the "World's Biggest Dick" anymore.

And yeah, it's what I would have done too. It discredits all the marches.

Hell I'd even start a spontaneous flashmob protest myself on social media so I knew my SEAL Team 6 would have cover. Here's what I'll say, if dick didn't do this then he doesn't get to call himself the "World's Biggest Dick" anymore.

#sigh