Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 10:44 AM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
(03-02-2017 10:21 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 10:02 AM)Alla Wrote:  So, if any university is my safe space where I (snowflake) is protected from any hate speech and bulling what am I going to do after graduation? Where is my sanctuary? This world is very unsafe place.

I always get a grin out of right-wingers that complain about "snowflake" behaviour, yet they're the first ones to get all frothed at the mouth when, for instance, a football player exercises his freedom of expression and refuses to stand for the national anthem.
I agree with you. When my husband complained about people who disrespect American Flag I called him "snowflake'. I told him this:" Why should someone care about your FEELINGS?" Don't be like those liberals?
First, he was speechless, then he was angry. But I knew that he knew I was right. He knew that I defend the Constitution better then he supposedly does.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
03-02-2017, 10:49 AM
(03-02-2017 10:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Oh noes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread summoned the dread Alla! Run!
Bechased

I think there might be something to this resurrection business after all. Big Grin

Hi Alla, I'm happy to see you again.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-02-2017, 11:01 AM
(03-02-2017 10:36 AM)Emma Wrote:  lol truth. Right-wingers have no concept that safe-spaces exist everywhere. You go to church on Sunday? You're going to your "safe space". If you go to an AA or NA meeting, that is a "safe space". And the college campus isn't in itself supposed to be a "safe space", rather groups get together to have a place that is intended to be safe for people of like mind to talk without being shouted down, drown out, or harassed and intimidated by the loud and disagreeable masses.
They make fun of the term without understanding what it means, or how it exists for them and how they fiercely protect it in their own lives.
Safe space is a space where nobody physically attacks you. Safe space is a space where you can say whatever crap you want without being physically attacked. This is how I understand safe space.
(03-02-2017 10:36 AM)Emma Wrote:  Also, Alla, you are clueless about what I've actually said in this thread. And Milo is literally human garbage. Not simply because he belongs to any one group, or is born an certain way, or because he has any specific skin color, but because he behaves as would a piece of putrid rotting bio-waste trash that was given a human body to operate.
OK. Let's say Milo is all this. But I still will fight for his right to have safe space to spew his crap as long as he doesn't attack others physically.
(03-02-2017 10:36 AM)Emma Wrote:  Edit to add: Safe spaces are okay to have. They are healthy. And they don't mean that someone who takes advantage of safe spaces are ill-equipped to handle life outside the safe space. Everyone needs a place where they can interact with similar people. This forum is a safe space of a kind, though I think with a much looser definition of the phrase than most.
Don't go to the event, stay at some safe place. But do not physically attack Milo. Do NOT take the right to listen to him from those who WANT to he his hate speech.
P.S. I didn't mean you specifically when I used word "you".

03-02-2017, 11:03 AM
(03-02-2017 10:49 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 10:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Oh noes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread summoned the dread Alla! Run!
Bechased

I think there might be something to this resurrection business after all. Big Grin

Hi Alla, I'm happy to see you again.
Hi! Smile

03-02-2017, 11:32 AM
(03-02-2017 11:01 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 10:36 AM)Emma Wrote:  lol truth. Right-wingers have no concept that safe-spaces exist everywhere. You go to church on Sunday? You're going to your "safe space". If you go to an AA or NA meeting, that is a "safe space". And the college campus isn't in itself supposed to be a "safe space", rather groups get together to have a place that is intended to be safe for people of like mind to talk without being shouted down, drown out, or harassed and intimidated by the loud and disagreeable masses.
They make fun of the term without understanding what it means, or how it exists for them and how they fiercely protect it in their own lives.
Safe space is a space where nobody physically attacks you. Safe space is a space where you can say whatever crap you want without being physically attacked. This is how I understand safe space.
(03-02-2017 10:36 AM)Emma Wrote:  Also, Alla, you are clueless about what I've actually said in this thread. And Milo is literally human garbage. Not simply because he belongs to any one group, or is born an certain way, or because he has any specific skin color, but because he behaves as would a piece of putrid rotting bio-waste trash that was given a human body to operate.
OK. Let's say Milo is all this. But I still will fight for his right to have safe space to spew his crap as long as he doesn't attack others physically.
(03-02-2017 10:36 AM)Emma Wrote:  Edit to add: Safe spaces are okay to have. They are healthy. And they don't mean that someone who takes advantage of safe spaces are ill-equipped to handle life outside the safe space. Everyone needs a place where they can interact with similar people. This forum is a safe space of a kind, though I think with a much looser definition of the phrase than most.
Don't go to the event, stay at some safe place. But do not physically attack Milo. Do NOT take the right to listen to him from those who WANT to he his hate speech.

Your definition of safe space is wrong.

safe space
noun
noun: safe space; plural noun: safe spaces
a place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm.

Apply that definition to any group where like minds gather to support each other. Church, AA/NA, Support Groups, etc. Should the university be a safe space? Yes, in as much as your place of work should be a safe space. That is, not necessarily places safe from criticism, but definitely safe from harassment, discrimination, and harm.

By your definition of only physical harm- everywhere is a safe space. Nobody should be getting physically harmed. Also, read my statements more closely about Milo, you'll find that I also think he should have a safe space to talk. And it isn't university campuses.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
03-02-2017, 11:38 AM
(03-02-2017 08:02 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 11:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Is it an insult? Well, if you don't consider yourself to be illiberal then I wasn't talking about you, so no insult.

What? Insults don't have to be personal. You can insult an entire class without personalizing it. That's what you did and you know that's what you did. Just because you're not a lazy good-for-nothing baby-spewing welfare queen porch monkey doesn't mean it's not an insult.

The fuck's got your panties in a wad anyway? You get Article 15ed or something?

I didn't insult a 'class' of people. I imagine those people probably come from a variety of social ad economic classes, as it were. I called a group of people what they are using direct honest language. The same group most people that hold ideals that most people here claim to be against.

I don't know what's so hard to understand. I can talk about a subsection of people on the left without talking about all of the left, in the same way I can talk about a
a subsection of people on the right without talking about everyone on the right. If you can't understand that, it's because you are in the vein of the left mirror of Trump (Authoritarian), or because you are trying to be offended by being intellectually dishonest, or you can't understand something basic because tribalism and zealousness has parasitized your brain like a devout religious fanatic. I can think of no other reasonable explanation that doesn't include other insults for which there is no evidence, such as intellectual deficiencies or language barriers.

03-02-2017, 11:46 AM
(03-02-2017 11:38 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:02 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What? Insults don't have to be personal. You can insult an entire class without personalizing it. That's what you did and you know that's what you did. Just because you're not a lazy good-for-nothing baby-spewing welfare queen porch monkey doesn't mean it's not an insult.

The fuck's got your panties in a wad anyway? You get Article 15ed or something?

I didn't insult a 'class' of people. I imagine those people probably come from a variety of social ad economic classes, as it were. I called a group of people what they are using direct honest language. The same group most people that hold ideals that most people here claim to be against.

I don't know what's so hard to understand. I can talk about a subsection of people on the left without talking about all of the left, in the same way I can talk about a
a subsection of people on the right without talking about everyone on the right. If you can't understand that, it's because you are in the vein of the left mirror of Trump (Authoritarian), or because you are trying to be offended by being intellectually dishonest, or you can't understand something basic because tribalism and zealousness has parasitized your brain like a devout religious fanatic. I can think of no other reasonable explanation that doesn't include other insults for which there is no evidence, such as intellectual deficiencies or language barriers.

You don't have to think of another explanation because we have already told you why multiple times. You have ASSUMED that the rioters are on the political left but you only ASSUME that because it fits your narrative. So, why would people who, generally, identify themselves with the political left take offense to someone making a broad generalization with no evidence about violence perpetrated by the "illiberal left?" BecauseL 1) it is a bogus charge to begin with and 2) the language you use is clearly intended to offend.

Just own up to being a dick. You started this thread to be a jerk and regardless how many times it is pointed out where you are wrong or are making evidence-less generalizations, you double-down. Instead you start straw manning people like me (for instance, you never showed me where I claimed that the rioters were right-wingers or part of a "false flag" coup like you claimed I did).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
03-02-2017, 11:49 AM
(03-02-2017 11:32 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 11:01 AM)Alla Wrote:  Safe space is a space where nobody physically attacks you. Safe space is a space where you can say whatever crap you want without being physically attacked. This is how I understand safe space.

safe space
noun
a place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm.

Apply that definition to any group where like minds gather to support each other. Church, AA/NA, Support Groups, etc. Should the university be a safe space? Yes, in as much as your place of work should be a safe space. That is, not necessarily places safe from criticism, but definitely safe from harassment, discrimination, and harm.

By your definition of only physical harm- everywhere is a safe space. Nobody should be getting physically harmed. Also, read my statements more closely about Milo, you'll find that I also think he should have a safe space to talk. And it isn't university campuses.

I'll admit this is something that drives me crazy. "Safe-Spaces" have always existed. Always. It's just that wasn't what they called. They were called, church, educational institutions, alcoholics anonymous, etc. So someone begins calling them "safe spaces" and people throw a fit. I'm like really? You're throwing a fit over something that has always existed but now has a blanket term...

People don't understand the battles their picking. It's not a "SJW" thing, or a "snowflake" thing, sometimes it's truly about just respecting others.

I think many people should sit and think why they feel offended by being told or reminded that they should respect others?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-02-2017, 11:52 AM
(03-02-2017 11:32 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 11:01 AM)Alla Wrote:  Safe space is a space where nobody physically attacks you. Safe space is a space where you can say whatever crap you want without being physically attacked. This is how I understand safe space.

safe space
noun

I could agree to much of these, but with some important distinctions:

Discrimination is something that applies to businesses, government entities, NPOs. And it only applies to people's race, religion, sex, sexual preference, or ethnicity. However, just because you are Jewish, for example, does not mean you can violate a companies dress code of 'no hats' by wearing a Yamaka because you are Jewish, or the wearing of a Hijab, or any other such policy. As a matter of fact this is the case for most branches of the military is most instances, with the Army having the most exceptions to this rule of thumb. Also, as an individual I can discriminate against whomever I wish. If I don't want to eat near a Catholic, you can't force me to. I can even call him or her names if I like, so long as I don't cross the threshold of actual legal harassment. Zombie-worshiping, magic cannibals. You have no legal protection to not be offended.

You do have the right to not be physically assaulted, as you say, and that is the whole reason why I made this thread to begin with.

03-02-2017, 11:58 AM
(03-02-2017 11:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 11:32 AM)Emma Wrote:  Your definition of safe space is wrong.

safe space
noun

I'll admit this is something that drives me crazy. "Safe-Spaces" have always existed. Always. It's just that wasn't what they called. They were called, church, educational institutions, alcoholics anonymous, etc. So someone begins calling them "safe spaces" and people throw a fit. I'm like really? You're throwing a fit over something that has always existed but now has a blanket term...

People don't understand the battles their picking. It's not a "SJW" thing, or a "snowflake" thing, sometimes it's truly about just respecting others.

I think many people should sit and think why they feel offended by being told or reminded that they should respect others?

Exactly. This is the point. College classrooms are a "safe space" and always have been, because it is a space where students talk about a specific set of topics and not a place where anyone is allowed to take the floor to discuss whatever they want. If a student had decided to use a biology classroom setting as an opportunity to try and discuss politics, they would be told to do it on their own time or somewhere else. Students shouldn't have to worry about what sort of situation they will be put in everywhere they go. They didn't sign up to discuss politics in a course on biology, and it would be unethical to turn the classroom into such a forum because it forces students to discuss something they may not want to. There are plenty of other classes for students to sign up for to discuss those topics and plenty of other places for assholes like Milo to go talk at. Going somewhere you know you are going to be protested when all you are is an internet troll come to life, is blatantly an attempt to be offensive and the university should have never allowed it to begin with.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post