Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 03:36 PM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
(03-02-2017 03:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 03:29 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Ah, so they now DO have a political goal. Not "Left"? Check. Not "Right"? Check. Not "apolitical"? Check. Clearly they do not belong anywhere on any political spectrum. They are just in the ether. Where they belong you can only find when you meditate long enough to reach nirvana on a different plain of existence among the astral projections. I must re-align my chakras and shove a healing crystal in my ass to envision the complex nuance of their political leanings. It truly is a mystery to behold for the ages.

Jesus H. Christ. You STILL DON'T get it. You don't know what their political leanings are. ASSUMING you know just makes you look like a presumptive and ignorant asshole, asshole.

And you don't know the difference between assuming and presuming. Is it my turn to gather the list of names you called me so I can call you an asshole without saying the word asshole? Shit! I think I just blew my opportunity! Ah well, fuck it!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2017, 03:36 PM
(03-02-2017 03:33 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 03:30 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You don't respect me? Join the club, you aren't the only one.

That might be the most honest thing you've typed this whole thread.

Which highlights your inability to understand and not my supposed dishonesty

Project much?

edit to add: why am I still replying to you? This is it, now I place you on my ignore list for being a dishonest asshole of a troll

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
03-02-2017, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 03:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-02-2017 01:36 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 12:24 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I agree that Milo is deliberately a troll and intentionally cruel to audience members, but I disagree that he should not be invited. I think the key would be to have a "counterpoint" speaker follow him, who can meticulously pick apart every point he makes, or else only agree to host him in a debate-type format.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you, but not with Milo. What makes him different is the singling people out and bullying of the type that Emma posted earlier.

So many of us clearly agree that in general we want our education systems, especially our higher education systems to be provocative. But there is a suggestion on the table that maybe we oughtta consider putting somekindasorta limits on it in advance because it's easy to see how this could go 4 dead in Ohio in a heartbeat.
Consider Dunno. :shrug: I guess if I knew her and saw her dead on the ground it'd be an easier call.

What concerns me the most about today's daily dose of chaos is the President's response to withhold federal research funding if the nanny can't get the kids to settle down. Tell them if they don't eat their meat, they can't have any pudding. This smacks of authoritarianism to me. And a patronizing one at that. This is gonna end in tears.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-02-2017, 03:44 PM
(03-02-2017 03:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 03:33 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  That might be the most honest thing you've typed this whole thread.

Which highlights your inability to understand and not my supposed dishonesty

Project much?

edit to add: why am I still replying to you? This is it, now I place you on my ignore list for being a dishonest asshole of a troll

Anyone who calls you out for your dishonesty and has a different opinion is obviously a troll. I mean, what other possible explanation could there be? Well, go on then. Go!

03-02-2017, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 01:49 AM by Dark Light.)
(03-02-2017 03:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 01:36 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Ordinarily, I would agree with you, but not with Milo. What makes him different is the singling people out and bullying of the type that Emma posted earlier.

So many of us clearly agree that in general we want our education systems, especially our higher education systems to be provocative. But there is a suggestion on the table that maybe we oughtta consider putting somekindasorta limits on it in advance because it's easy to see how this could go 4 dead in Ohio in a heartbeat.
Consider Dunno. :shrug: I guess if I knew her and saw her dead on the ground it'd be an easier call.

Outside of violence, threats of violence, or genuine harassment everything should be legally permitted. As others, even TBD has said, the school is not required to give everyone with an opinion a platform, but to make it illegal to have an unpopular idea is how you wind up with an echo-chamber, hive-mind, and prevent progress.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
03-02-2017, 03:51 PM
(03-02-2017 01:36 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Ordinarily, I would agree with you, but not with Milo. What makes him different is the singling people out and bullying of the type that Emma posted earlier.

Consider Dunno. :shrug:

The key is for it to be selectively provocative. When inviting a controversial figure to your campus, you expect some amount of resistance. But people like Milo are a different breed of dick/troll/asshole. This isn't like some pro-fracking scientist coming to speak and being protested. It isn't like a Dawkins coming to speak and christian trolls handing out flyers. It's more like the troll brings out his little troll army where their goal isn't so much about putting their point of view out there, but more about inciting fear and animosity. Their goal is to offend and piss off people. That's not admirable. That's not conducive to debate or discussion. That isn't beneficial to rational discourse. It's intentionally disruptive.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-02-2017, 03:53 PM
(03-02-2017 03:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The key is for it to be selectively provocative.

But who sets the selection criteria? Telling you up front you won't get any help from Girly. Dewey don't want no part of that shit.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-02-2017, 04:52 PM
GirlyMan Wrote:What concerns me the most about today's daily dose of chaos is the President's response to withhold federal research funding if the nanny can't get the kids to settle down. Tell them if they don't eat their meat, they can't have any pudding. This smacks of authoritarianism to me. And a patronizing one at that. This is gonna end in tears.
I agree with you, GirlyMan. I don't believe it will help to solve the problem. Also it will hurt those who have nothing to do with this violence.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
03-02-2017, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 05:25 PM by Dark Light.)

What concerns me the most about today's daily dose of chaos is the President's response to withhold federal research funding if the nanny can't get the kids to settle down. Tell them if they don't eat their meat, they can't have any pudding. This smacks of authoritarianism to me. And a patronizing one at that. This is gonna end in tears.

Trump is an authoritarian leaning populist. He is quick to single out anyone if he thinks it will increase his popularity. He knows most people think this violence is disgusting and that we are sick of it. Instead of looking at the cause of the problems or trying to fix the problem himself by way of law enforcement (which he endlessly boasts about) he threatens the school too? What good will that too, whether he backs it up or not? How about offering to provide security for the event? Or granting additional money to the school for security only (I wouldn't advocate that, but better than his plan). How about not involving yourself at all...seems beneath the office of the President, honestly. Democrats, please make this a 1 term president by nominating someone I could actually vote for. Please!

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
03-02-2017, 05:12 PM
(03-02-2017 04:52 PM)Alla Wrote:  
GirlyMan Wrote:What concerns me the most about today's daily dose of chaos is the President's response to withhold federal research funding if the nanny can't get the kids to settle down. Tell them if they don't eat their meat, they can't have any pudding. This smacks of authoritarianism to me. And a patronizing one at that. This is gonna end in tears.
I agree with you, GirlyMan. I don't believe it will help to solve the problem. Also it will hurt those who have nothing to do with this violence.

It's the knee jerk response which concerns me the most. Withholding federal funding is about the only threat short of physical intervention the President has over UCB. Plus did no one tell you this is Berkeley before you made your threat? They have a "Oh yeah? Well fuck you man." protest reputation to keep. What happens when the federal funding threat has the opposite of the desired effect and just further agitates the "Oh yeah? Well double fuck you man." hippies. Those kids are gonna get themselves killed under this guy.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post