Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2017, 06:01 PM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
(05-02-2017 05:41 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  He's saying that if you start censoring people because they might incite others, you're taking a step in the direction of Saudi Arabia:

[Journalist Alaa Brinji] was convicted by Saudi Arabia’s notorious counter-terrorism court, known as the Specialized Criminal Court (SCC), on a range of charges, including, “insulting the rulers of the country”, “inciting public opinion”, “accusing security officers of killing protestersin Awamiyya”, “ridiculing Islamic religious figures” and “violating Article 6 of the Anti-Cyber Crime Law”. The court also ordered the closure of his twitter account. All of these charges stem from tweets he posted online some of which were in support of Saudi Arabian women’s right to drive cars, human rights defenders and prisoners of conscience.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2...crackdown/

Well, I wouldn't have been that dramatic. Lets keep some perspective. My comparison to 50's/60/70's Americans and Brits going after the likes of George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Monty Python, and so on stands on its own pretty well, IMO. I assume no one here wants to return to that?

I've been in Saudi as a flight of mine was re-routed, while I happened to have in my possession "God is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. Going through airport security with that in Saudi was genuinely scary when they dumped my bag out. Banning Milio for "Indecent Behavior" isn't on the scale of the brutality that will be inflicting upon you by the religious police if they find something like that on you.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
05-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Robert Reich, who was actually on-hand at Berkeley when the protest took place, says that the protesters were not students.

Source: CNN Guest: Berkeley Rioters Were Actually Secret Right-Wingers Affiliated With Breitbart
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
05-02-2017, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 06:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-02-2017 06:03 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Robert Reich, who was actually on-hand at Berkeley when the protest took place, says that the protesters were not students.

Source: CNN Guest: Berkeley Rioters Were Actually Secret Right-Wingers Affiliated With Breitbart

I wouldn't be surprised but it could just as easily be the weathermen coming up from the underground (you see what I did there right Big Grin ) after a decades long hiatus as Bannon ordering a SEAL Team 6 specop.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-02-2017, 08:30 PM
(05-02-2017 06:01 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Well, I wouldn't have been that dramatic. Lets keep some perspective. My comparison to 50's/60/70's Americans and Brits going after the likes of George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Monty Python, and so on stands on its own pretty well, IMO. I assume no one here wants to return to that?

I've been in Saudi as a flight of mine was re-routed, while I happened to have in my possession "God is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. Going through airport security with that in Saudi was genuinely scary when they dumped my bag out. Banning Milio for "Indecent Behavior" isn't on the scale of the brutality that will be inflicting upon you by the religious police if they find something like that on you.

Agreed. However, that's not what I said. I didn't say it was the same as what happens in Saudi Arabia. I said it's a step in that direction.

It's the same idea, just the bottom end of the slippery slope, so to speak. Unlike SA, we have a few social mechanisms in place that keep it from getting that far.

But as you rightly point out, our own culture has many examples of suppressing people because their ideas are considered taboo by many, and the "inciting" example was used as justification.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-02-2017, 07:27 AM
(05-02-2017 06:03 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Robert Reich, who was actually on-hand at Berkeley when the protest took place, says that the protesters were not students.

But...but...it's been asserted that all these "illiberal leftist" youngsters did it! Blasphemy!

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
06-02-2017, 09:27 AM
(06-02-2017 07:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

But...but...it's been asserted that all these "illiberal leftist" youngsters did it! Blasphemy!

Haven't you heard? Saying without evidence that it was right-wingers is a conspiracy theory, but saying without evidence that left-wingers did it is pure reason.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-02-2017, 09:37 AM
(06-02-2017 09:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 07:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But...but...it's been asserted that all these "illiberal leftist" youngsters did it! Blasphemy!

Haven't you heard? Saying without evidence that it was right-wingers is a conspiracy theory, but saying without evidence that left-wingers did it is pure reason.

DOUBLE BLASPHEMY! I think only "disgusting twats" would ever propose that it could have been anyone other than "left-wingers."

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
06-02-2017, 11:06 AM
(05-02-2017 05:41 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  He's saying that if you start censoring people because they might incite others, you're taking a step in the direction of Saudi Arabia:

[Journalist Alaa Brinji] was convicted by Saudi Arabia’s notorious counter-terrorism court, known as the Specialized Criminal Court (SCC), on a range of charges, including, “insulting the rulers of the country”, “inciting public opinion”, “accusing security officers of killing protestersin Awamiyya”, “ridiculing Islamic religious figures” and “violating Article 6 of the Anti-Cyber Crime Law”. The court also ordered the closure of his twitter account. All of these charges stem from tweets he posted online some of which were in support of Saudi Arabian women’s right to drive cars, human rights defenders and prisoners of conscience.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2...crackdown/

And it doesn't address my point, because Milo has in the past engaged in the behavior that such a contractual clause would counter. His freedom to speak hasn't been abrogated. His freedom to release personal information about another person in the hopes of harming, or causing others to harm, that person, is being restricted. But we do that already, and rightly so.

Comparing a journalist covering news to Milo's behavior isn't really apt. Slippery slopes are not strong points in an argument.
06-02-2017, 11:44 AM
(02-02-2017 09:47 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  The question was whether you not you find it appropriate, palatable, or disgusting to use violence to inhibit his right to speak freely.

What people forget when they ask this question is that there is a socio-political context to this. If you use violence to inhibit the right to speak freely on one side of the political spectrum, then that side3 will retaliate.

Your thread title suggests that the left started it and does not take into account that Trump escalated an existing situation.

Trump boasts he could shoot somebody and still not lose votes

South Carolina policeman shoots Walter Scott in the back as he runs away – video

[Image: 192897-us-davis-police-lt-john-pike-dous...-spray.jpg]

[Image: screen-shot-2015-06-07-at-4-58-23-pm.png?w=1200]

[Image: 140813_POL_FergusonCops2.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
06-02-2017, 12:02 PM
(06-02-2017 09:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 07:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But...but...it's been asserted that all these "illiberal leftist" youngsters did it! Blasphemy!

If you're looking for objectivity in dealing with Trump, CNN has lost all credibility. Their collusion with the Democratic Party this last election is very well documented. They are now only a shade away from MSNBC. The veil is very thin.

I could post links from conservative sites saying it was leftwingers, if you want. It won't accomplish anything, but you can find articles saying so from ZeroHedge, Daily Caller, IB Times, and so on. All of which cite their sources for your review.
The totality of the evidence say these were Far-Left Wing Authoritarians, the Illiberal Left, Communist-Anarchists, Peace through force of Government, whatever you want to call it. It's not fans of Trump, Milo, Conservatives, or Liberalism.