Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2017, 12:05 PM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
(06-02-2017 09:37 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 09:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  Haven't you heard? Saying without evidence that it was right-wingers is a conspiracy theory, but saying without evidence that left-wingers did it is pure reason.

DOUBLE BLASPHEMY! I think only "disgusting twats" would ever propose that it could have been anyone other than "left-wingers."

I'll make this clear. You're the only person here I have ever called a twat because you're the only twat. Your moniker of twat isn't dependant on your opinion or political position. It's based on you being a twat. That's it.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2017, 12:28 PM
(06-02-2017 12:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 09:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  Haven't you heard? Saying without evidence that it was right-wingers is a conspiracy theory, but saying without evidence that left-wingers did it is pure reason.

If you're looking for objectivity in dealing with Trump, CNN has lost all credibility. Their collusion with the Democratic Party this last election is very well documented. They are now only a shade away from MSNBC. The veil is very thin.

I could post links from conservative sites saying it was leftwingers, if you want. It won't accomplish anything, but you can find articles saying so from ZeroHedge, Daily Caller, IB Times, and so on. All of which cite their sources for your review.
The totality of the evidence say these were Far-Left Wing Authoritarians, the Illiberal Left, Communist-Anarchists, Peace through force of Government, whatever you want to call it. It's not fans of Trump, Milo, Conservatives, or Liberalism.

... Um. Who ARE trustworthy news sources then, in your opinion? 'Cos it seems like you're saying anyone can read this any way they like based on their pre-existing bias and therefore I infer that there's no merit to drawing any conclusion from the incident whatsoever?

ETA: Here you're trashing CNN but your original links to the news story are from CNN? What gives?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-02-2017, 12:30 PM
(06-02-2017 12:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 12:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  If you're looking for objectivity in dealing with Trump, CNN has lost all credibility. Their collusion with the Democratic Party this last election is very well documented. They are now only a shade away from MSNBC. The veil is very thin.

I could post links from conservative sites saying it was leftwingers, if you want. It won't accomplish anything, but you can find articles saying so from ZeroHedge, Daily Caller, IB Times, and so on. All of which cite their sources for your review.
The totality of the evidence say these were Far-Left Wing Authoritarians, the Illiberal Left, Communist-Anarchists, Peace through force of Government, whatever you want to call it. It's not fans of Trump, Milo, Conservatives, or Liberalism.

... Um. Who ARE trustworthy news sources then, in your opinion? 'Cos it seems like you're saying anyone can read this any way they like based on their pre-existing bias and therefore I infer that there's no merit to drawing any conclusion from the incident whatsoever?

ETA: Here you're trashing CNN but your original links to the news story are from CNN? What gives?

It is all biased unless it's biased towards DL's opinions.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
06-02-2017, 12:46 PM
(06-02-2017 12:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 12:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  If you're looking for objectivity in dealing with Trump, CNN has lost all credibility. Their collusion with the Democratic Party this last election is very well documented. They are now only a shade away from MSNBC. The veil is very thin.

I will let a more eloquent and terse man answer your question.

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.” - Mark Twain

I intentionally used CNN because what they are reporting is against what they want to report. It's way more damning than if I had used Fox News for this story, for example. If I want to report a damning story on Republicans, a scathing article from Fox carries more weight than MSNBC.

06-02-2017, 12:56 PM
(06-02-2017 12:46 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 12:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  ... Um. Who ARE trustworthy news sources then, in your opinion? 'Cos it seems like you're saying anyone can read this any way they like based on their pre-existing bias and therefore I infer that there's no merit to drawing any conclusion from the incident whatsoever?

I will let a more eloquent and terse man answer your question.

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.” - Mark Twain

I intentionally used CNN because what they are reporting is against what they want to report. It's way more damning than if I had used Fox News for this story, for example. If I want to report a damning story on Republicans, a scathing article from Fox carries more weight than MSNBC.

I can see the merit in what you've said but... it sort of seems like you're saying that CNN is untrustworthy if they say something 'democrat' but trustworthy if they something 'republican'? So you can trust them if they say it was left-wingers who did it, but not if they say it was right-wingers? Whereas fox news would be trustworthy if they said it was right-wingers but suspect if they said left-wingers?

I dunno. I prefer to stick with my standard assessment - if it's a reasonably reputable news site then I'll take it as trustworthy, although I still do want to scrutinise their sources if they say something I'm not convinced of.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-02-2017, 01:20 PM
(06-02-2017 12:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 12:46 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I will let a more eloquent and terse man answer your question.

I can see the merit in what you've said but... it sort of seems like you're saying that CNN is untrustworthy if they say something 'democrat' but trustworthy if they something 'republican'? So you can trust them if they say it was left-wingers who did it, but not if they say it was right-wingers? Whereas fox news would be trustworthy if they said it was right-wingers but suspect if they said left-wingers?

I dunno. I prefer to stick with my standard assessment - if it's a reasonably reputable news site then I'll take it as trustworthy, although I still do want to scrutinise their sources if they say something I'm not convinced of.

Well, you nearly got what I was trying to convey. Allow me to elaborate a little:

There are no unbiased news sources. All of media is biased. Media is made up of humans, and we all have biases, even if we aren't always aware of them, and even if we try to combat them. Some sources may do a reasonably good job of trying to be unbiased. Some drop the pretense and tell you "Yes, we are this, and this is our opinion". Some media aren't actually news at all, they just read news stories and add their slant. In my opinon CNN went from the organization that tried to be unbiased to the organization that pretends to be unbiased, which is worse in some respects because it fools people into thinking they are unbiased, but better in the sense that they don't go to too far exteremes, at least publicly, because then they coudn't pretend to be unbiased.

Left-leaning media is more likely to use dishonest tactics (or sometimes outright lying) to treat right-leaning issues worse than is 'fair'. Likewise, they are more likely treat left-leaning issues unfairly well by not reporting on an issue, reporting on it in a more positive light than it deserves, downplaying it, colluding with parties to control the narrative, etc. Of course the exact opposite is also true. Right-Leaning news outlets favor right-leaning issues, and treat left-leaning issues unfairly.

As for checking the sources, absolutely you should. The more dubious the claim the more you should check. The more inline with the narrative of the news organization the more you should check. And in either of these cases you should see what the opposing side is saying about the issue. You may, in some cases (If you care that much) check how the sources got the info, calculated the stats, etc.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
06-02-2017, 01:27 PM
(06-02-2017 11:44 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 09:47 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  The question was whether you not you find it appropriate, palatable, or disgusting to use violence to inhibit his right to speak freely.

What people forget when they ask this question is that there is a socio-political context to this. If you use violence to inhibit the right to speak freely on one side of the political spectrum, then that side3 will retaliate.

Your thread title suggests that the left started it and does not take into account that Trump escalated an existing situation.

Trump boasts he could shoot somebody and still not lose votes

South Carolina policeman shoots Walter Scott in the back as he runs away – video

[Image: 192897-us-davis-police-lt-john-pike-dous...-spray.jpg]

[Image: screen-shot-2015-06-07-at-4-58-23-pm.png?w=1200]

[Image: 140813_POL_FergusonCops2.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg]

My thread absolutely did not insinuate that. You're reading between lines that aren't even there.

Your article on Trump is something very stupid of him, and also disturbing, but to say that this Berkley riot is a response to that confirms you acknowledge what the rioters were. If you agree, great, if not please explain.

Your article on a police shooting an unarmed man is equally repulsive, but has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.
07-02-2017, 11:28 AM
(02-02-2017 09:50 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Looting and burning shit is uncool, IMO. But you poke a bear long enough and he is going to lash out. They are entitled to their free speech, but don't spew straight up hate and expect people to just sit and take it, either.

Hmm. Is that like when Charlie Hebdo poked the bear too much?
07-02-2017, 11:33 AM
I think Steve does a good job of communicating how I feel on this:

07-02-2017, 11:45 AM
(06-02-2017 12:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  ... Um. Who ARE trustworthy news sources then, in your opinion?

Dunno all of these but I think there's a reason Drudge puts these links in a little tiny frame all by themselves on the far right side of his page where no one is likely to see them. That's the first place I look.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
AP TOP
AP HEADLINE WALL
AP RAW
AP RADIO
BLOOMBERG
DEUTSCHE PRESSE-AGENTUR
DOW JONES
INDO-ASIAN NEWS SERVICE
INTERFAX
ITAR-TASS
KYODO