Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2017, 02:30 PM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
(07-02-2017 11:33 AM)Emma Wrote:  I think Steve does a good job of communicating how I feel on this:

I don't disagree with his points, except that I do not consider Milo in the category of "things we can simply ignore, now, as universally repudiated". As popular as Milo's arguments are among a large number of voters, I think he still needs to be engaged and debunked as many times as it takes in order to show people that he only deserves a literal soapbox, not a stage.

Not because any of his arguments are correct or even realistically debatable, but because like the willingness of guys like Bill Nye to debate Creationists (who have long since been debunked and whose ideas are fully bankrupt), we must engage them simply because to ignore them plays into their still-popular narrative that they are being unfairly ignored by liberal/academic elites-- and that we can't answer them so we ignore them.

In this particular case, this guy represents a grenade-thrower in the employ of an overt liar (Breitbart) who has the ear of the President, and whose voice is becoming the voice of a generation of conservatives. To pretend we can simply write off such voices and ignore Average Joe is to continue to cede elections to these "alternative facts" peddlers.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-02-2017, 03:00 PM
(07-02-2017 11:33 AM)Emma Wrote:  I think Steve does a good job of communicating how I feel on this:

My issue is not that Milo was not allowed by the college (although that would've been bad to a lesser degree, IMO). I really take issue with an INVITED guest being denied their right to speak freely. If I invite Kineo to speak in my living room, and she accepts and tries to speak, I find it repulsive if violent demonstrators prevent her and her supporters from speaking even as I want her to speak.

07-02-2017, 03:02 PM
(07-02-2017 03:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  

My issue is not that Milo was not allowed by the college (although that would've been bad to a lesser degree, IMO). I really take issue with an INVITED guest being denied their right to speak freely. If I invite Kineo to speak in my living room, and she accepts and tries to speak, I find it repulsive if violent demonstrators prevent her and her supporters from speaking even as I want her to speak.

You mean Emma.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-02-2017, 03:04 PM
(07-02-2017 11:28 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 09:50 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Looting and burning shit is uncool, IMO. But you poke a bear long enough and he is going to lash out. They are entitled to their free speech, but don't spew straight up hate and expect people to just sit and take it, either.

Hmm. Is that like when Charlie Hebdo poked the bear too much?

Charlie absolutely had the unequivocal right to say Muhammad is a paedophilic misogynistic disgusting fucktard who deserves all of the ridicule the human race has to muster.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
07-02-2017, 03:40 PM
(02-02-2017 09:50 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Looting and burning shit is uncool, IMO. But you poke a bear long enough and he is going to lash out. They are entitled to their free speech, but don't spew straight up hate and expect people to just sit and take it, either.

As long as those actions don't entail violence or preventing others from expressing their opinions, sure. I don't get why we need to be accommodating to those who get offended.

09-02-2017, 09:58 AM
(07-02-2017 03:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 03:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  My issue is not that Milo was not allowed by the college (although that would've been bad to a lesser degree, IMO). I really take issue with an INVITED guest being denied their right to speak freely. If I invite Kineo to speak in my living room, and she accepts and tries to speak, I find it repulsive if violent demonstrators prevent her and her supporters from speaking even as I want her to speak.

You mean Emma.

You mean, Girly.

Commas. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
09-02-2017, 10:03 AM
(07-02-2017 03:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  My issue is not that Milo was not allowed by the college (although that would've been bad to a lesser degree, IMO). I really take issue with an INVITED guest being denied their right to speak freely. If I invite Kineo to speak in my living room, and she accepts and tries to speak, I find it repulsive if violent demonstrators prevent her and her supporters from speaking even as I want her to speak.

Yabbut, if all your neighbor's kids were at your place at the time, and your neighbors didn't want them to be exposed to hate speech, could your neighbors protest?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-02-2017, 11:00 AM
(09-02-2017 10:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  

Yabbut, if all your neighbor's kids were at your place at the time, and your neighbors didn't want them to be exposed to hate speech, could your neighbors protest?

But but but...hate speech trumps common decency and must be defended over 36 pages and counting.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
09-02-2017, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2017 12:00 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-02-2017 10:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  

Best to do it quietly and just take them home with a casual wave and a smile or the PG County Police will end up beating the entire neighborhood's ass. Again. And kill our dogs. Again. Before the FBI can get here to stop them. Again.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
10-02-2017, 10:51 AM
(06-02-2017 01:20 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Left-leaning media is more likely to use dishonest tactics (or sometimes outright lying) to treat right-leaning issues worse than is 'fair'. Likewise, they are more likely treat left-leaning issues unfairly well by not reporting on an issue, reporting on it in a more positive light than it deserves, downplaying it, colluding with parties to control the narrative, etc. Of course the exact opposite is also true. Right-Leaning news outlets favor right-leaning issues, and treat left-leaning issues unfairly.

I call bullshit. The conservative media just cannot be believed. In no way is any serious liberal media close to the dishonesty the conservatives have.
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post