Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2017, 04:21 PM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
(11-02-2017 04:18 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 04:13 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I answered you. You might not have read it, but I did respond.

No, you answered a lot of things, but not if he's actually and forcefully prevented from giving his speech or if the University doesn't allow him speaking. Noone did.

Yes I did. The answer is also in the OP as well.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2017, 04:25 PM
(11-02-2017 04:09 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 03:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is pretty much no "straight" news organization any more. It's an outmoded concept. There are many media outlets, and they are all available. The idea of ''objective" was probably always suspect. If you want to try to get at what's really happening, you have to go to more than one source. I'd rather have a right and and a left perspective.

I have no problem with that either, but own up to it. MSNBC no longer really pretends to be unbiased. They are part of "the left". Fox no longer tries to pretend the are unbiased. They are "the right". The both provide a shitload of bullshit. They don't care about the facts so much as they care about advancing their agenda. Having such a bias definitely colors yours news coverage at best, and encourages outright deception in others. CNN, I think, is particularly bad because they try their best to pretend they are unbiased. I don't think having an unbiased platform is "outdated", I think striving for objective thinking is noble, even in imperfect execution. The wolves in sheep's clothing deserve to be sacrificed at the alter though. Let's call a spade a spade.

Throw those out, and just watch PBS News Hour, and/or BBC World News America.
Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
11-02-2017, 04:26 PM
So, it's a firm and resounding no. The Uni didn't forbid his speech.

Quote:"While Yiannopoulos' views, tactics and rhetoric are profoundly contrary to our own, we are bound by the Constitution, the law, our values and the campus's Principles of Community to enable free expression across the full spectrum of opinion and perspective," it stated.

A small portion from the black block - international trouble makers, by the way - and a majority of peaceful protesters were all it took for him to cut and run. As usual. Guy lives and thrives on provocation and is all butthurt if people say they don't want to hear his shit.
11-02-2017, 04:31 PM
(11-02-2017 04:26 PM)abaris Wrote:  So, it's a firm and resounding no. The Uni didn't forbid his speech.

Quote:"While Yiannopoulos' views, tactics and rhetoric are profoundly contrary to our own, we are bound by the Constitution, the law, our values and the campus's Principles of Community to enable free expression across the full spectrum of opinion and perspective," it stated.

A small portion from the black block - international trouble makers, by the way - and a majority of peaceful protesters were all it took for him to cut and run. As usual. Guy lives and thrives on provocation and is all butthurt if people say they don't want to hear his shit.

You summed it up pretty well and I was with you up until your last sentence. Being 'butthurt' isn't equivalent to being forced to leave under serious threat of violence.

12-02-2017, 01:19 AM
It's funny you say MSNBC represents "the Left", as I am a leftie and I don't watch MSNBC because they represent Corporate Democrats (Hillary's NeoLiberals), the sell-outs to moneyed interests, and serve as a propaganda arm for that group... a group that I, as an actual Liberal, stand against in almost every way. That's why I referenced Kulinski's dressing-down of Maddow.

And that's why I say America's political perspective is so Right-skewed that anything in the center now looks leftist. We no longer have an effective "left-wing" source for anything, except a few websites and small self-made media groups (which apparently don't count, since Breitbart doesn't, even when it's literally in the White House directly advising the President), and I find it almost comic that anyone thinks groups like MSNBC serve "the Left". They serve the business propaganda model they think can milk and manipulate people for profit. Period.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
12-02-2017, 02:02 AM
(12-02-2017 01:19 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  We no longer have an effective "left-wing" source for anything, except a few websites and small self-made media groups...

See Also: The Majority Report with Sam Seder

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
12-02-2017, 02:56 AM
(11-02-2017 04:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 03:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So then, you're saying your values are liberal, and you are offended by what you perceive as "illiberal". Dodgy

Confused Yeah? Why would someone who supports liberal ideals not be offended by authoritarianism? What happened to "Despise your opinions but defend to the death your rights to express them"? I suppose we could follow the logical conclusions down the rabbit-hole and find where intolerance leaves us, but I don't think you want to do that so, either correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption, or else, what the fuck? Do we need to really debate the merits of liberalism? Seems like a strange thing to do on an atheist forum, but if that's what you want to do, we can, I guess.

White nationalism, and Neo-Nazis have always been a step too far, in US debate. Including them in what is acceptable debate is a step too far.

BTW, you people were offered an opportunity to defend conservatism, and YOU yourself said the very labels YOU use are not useful, and basically did nothing to defend the position.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...016?page=2

So yeah. "WTF" yourself.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-02-2017, 03:17 AM
(12-02-2017 02:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  White nationalism, and Neo-Nazis have always been a step too far, in US debate. Including them in what is acceptable debate is a step too far.

Fuck Neo-Nazis, but don't silence them. After all the best way to spot a Neo-Nazi is to listen to one of them speak. Not that they, or anyone else who explicitly and hatefully targets individuals with their rhetoric for the purpose of causing harm *cough* Milo *cough*, deserves a spot at the podium in a college lecture hall.

[Image: 1044024_609917305749425_1995275907_n.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-02-2017, 11:46 AM
(10-02-2017 04:17 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 03:35 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  If I were to guess, I'd say that the KKK probably endorsed Ronald Reagan too, and he won in one of the biggest landslide elections in American History.

That's why you shouldn't guess, they didn't. Trump's the first one to get that kind of endorsment, and polish a turd as much as you like, it's still a turd, appealing to the KKK - as the first one in living memory.

Well, dear old dad was a card carrying member back in the day (he died in 1980) and he and his friends were all thrilled with Reagan. They didn't have to publicly endorse him -- although there were those who did.

Trump got their endorsement for different reasons, the rhetoric he used, and the people he surrounded himself with made it obvious to the (alt-white) groups he was on their side.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-02-2017, 12:06 PM
(12-02-2017 11:46 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Trump got their endorsement for different reasons, the rhetoric he used, and the people he surrounded himself with made it obvious to the (alt-white) groups he was on their side.

Which was exactly my point. There's only two options. Either he is too stupid to even notice whom his rhetoric appealed to, or he did it on purpose. I don't know what's actually worse, since in both cases he obviously feels the vibe and found his brethren in spirit.

It might well be that Reagan appealed to portions of them too, but not sufficiently to get an open endorsment. Also I can't remember the neonazis - oh, excuse me - the alt.right holding rallys with shouts of Hail Reagan, Hail Victory (Sieg Heil), complete with right arm salutes.

On a side note, how thick does one have to be to actually endorse what their forefathers fought against. It's even worse with Russian nazis. Their country was actually ravaged by the madness some 70 years ago.