Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2017, 05:55 AM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
(26-02-2017 05:49 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 05:39 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I disagree. I think science has done a lot to sway a lot of people into vaccinating their children. Even their vapid de facto leader Jenny McCarthy has walked back any of her more extreme statements she used to make. You'll never convince everyone of anything, but I think the public's trust in our scientific community's research has done much to legitimize the non-sense of anti-vaxers. Just look at the public reaction to professional actor and idiot, Robert DeNiro last year. He almost immediately walked back his BS.

That's a bold statement, since when I was little, everyone vaccinated and there were regular mass vaccinations at school. I even am vaccinated against the pox. Virtually nobody second guessed the use and necessity of vaccinations. The anti vaxers only rose out of the internet when all kinds of unchecked informations were readily available. Such as fringe scientists, who aren't reputable enough to stand the test of the scientific community.

This, as with any of these internet phenomenons, is an uphill battle. Both kinds of information are out there and people make their choice of whom to believe. And since the broad mass isn't sufficiently educated in these matters, they will pick their choice based on individual appeal and gut instinct.

I don't deny any of that, I'm saying since the rise of the conspiracy the scientific community, and the public at large, has made progress in combatting bad, wrong-headed ideas, and we continue to do so. That's it.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2017, 06:26 AM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
(26-02-2017 05:49 AM)abaris Wrote:  That's a bold statement, since when I was little, everyone vaccinated and there were regular mass vaccinations at school. I even am vaccinated against the pox. Virtually nobody second guessed the use and necessity of vaccinations. The anti vaxers only rose out of the internet when all kinds of unchecked informations were readily available. Such as fringe scientists, who aren't reputable enough to stand the test of the scientific community.

This, as with any of these internet phenomenons, is an uphill battle. Both kinds of information are out there and people make their choice of whom to believe. And since the broad mass isn't sufficiently educated in these matters, they will pick their choice based on individual appeal and gut instinct.

Plus, you have to remember that a lot of the anti-vaccine movement is intrinsically tied to the increase in autism spectrum diagnosis. It is a hell of a lot easier to have an 'other' to blame; rather than to own up to the fact that your child played the genetic lottery with the genes you gave them, and lost. If religion is anything to go by, people seem to prefer anthropocentric explanations over the cold statistical insignificance of the universe at large.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post