Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 11:42 AM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
Read this for a good breakdown on why Milo should not be speaking at universities. If he wants to bully students, that he needs to have a platform off-campus and not funded or supported by the university.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barrierbrea...versities/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
02-02-2017, 11:49 AM
They let Michael Moore speak there. Might as well be consistent and stick with the trend of providing platforms to irrational, dishonest nutcases.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
02-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Hate Speech Matters.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
02-02-2017, 11:52 AM
(02-02-2017 11:49 AM)yakherder Wrote:  They let Michael Moore speak there. Might as well be consistent and stick with the trend of providing platforms to irrational, dishonest nutcases.

I've never seen Michael Moore incite violence or bigotry like those on the alt-right

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
02-02-2017, 11:54 AM
(02-02-2017 11:49 AM)yakherder Wrote:  They let Michael Moore speak there. Might as well be consistent and stick with the trend of providing platforms to irrational, dishonest nutcases.

They can easily find some nutcase on the right that doesn't bully or harass people to take up the cause of providing alternative facts to the students.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
02-02-2017, 12:07 PM
(02-02-2017 11:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 11:09 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Because they are on the left. Just a Christian Conservatives are still conservative, even without quotations.

YOU ASSUME that they are on the left, but all you have to back that assertion up is that they incited violence against the bigots of the alt-right. Whoever these people were, they no more represent liberalism or the political left than the KKK or Islamic Terrorists represent Christianity or Islam.

Again - we agree on absolutely everything. You've just got your panties in a twist because you didn't like the label I used. And again, the whole reason why I called them illiberal was to distinguish them from liberals like myself.

02-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Double-post.

02-02-2017, 12:09 PM
(02-02-2017 11:42 AM)kineo Wrote:  Read this for a good breakdown on why Milo should not be speaking at universities. If he wants to bully students, that he needs to have a platform off-campus and not funded or supported by the university.

He was invited and funded by a private group of students. Also, it seems to me he was certainly the person being bullied in this case. It's not like he is being funded by taxpayers or anything. You know, like a church.

02-02-2017, 12:10 PM
(02-02-2017 10:23 AM)Dom Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if these were even right wing nuts trying to discredit the protesters and draw attention to the speakers.

Not a bad way to advertise... Confused

This sort of thing happens all the time. Peaceful protest groups get infiltrated by violent factions as a deliberate tactic to throw the peaceful protest groups into disrepute. Is it possible that Milos himself orchestrated the whole thing?
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
02-02-2017, 12:11 PM
(02-02-2017 12:09 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 11:42 AM)kineo Wrote:  Read this for a good breakdown on why Milo should not be speaking at universities. If he wants to bully students, that he needs to have a platform off-campus and not funded or supported by the university.

He was invited and funded by a private group of students. Also, it seems to me he was certainly the person being bullied in this case.

This comment is precisely why I think you are failing to think critically about this situation.

Why is he the victim? Because people protested his event? Regardless, if the campus has the ability to cancel the event, then it should. Did you read the article? Can you understand why what Milo does is much different and far more harmful than the people protesting his event?
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post