Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 01:29 PM
RE: Illiberal Left Shuts Down Free Speech with Violence (Again)
I dislike the term "illiberal" and I dislike it even more when it's combined with "left". You're either left or your not. There are degrees of "left", but what's intended by "illiberal" is not a degree, but something different. So it should be given a different name. For the same reason a variation of "liberal" is inappropriate as well in my opinion.

The people who did this were neither left or right or liberal or conservative. I mean, they probably were among those, but it's beside the point. It's like saying people who accept evolution as fact are atheists. Well, some are, but the two have nothing to do with each other. These people who carried out the violence are just assholes.

As for Milo, I never heard of him before this thread, but it strikes me as highly inappropriate for a university to allow him to speak on its property. Yeah, free speech and all, but that's not freedom to speak anywhere and universities have the right to say "go somewhere else".

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
02-02-2017, 01:35 PM
(02-02-2017 01:28 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Why hasn't this guy been hit with a slander or libel suit yet?
If he's publicly harming an individual, isn't this grounds for a civil suit, at least?
If he's demonizing a group of people, isn't that considered hate speech?

I feel like he and some of the other alt-righters have been. Like that asshole who made the slander "documentaries" about Planned Parenthood and ACORN. He's been sued but just keeps coming back with the hate and lies and slander.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
02-02-2017, 01:52 PM
(02-02-2017 01:29 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I dislike the term "illiberal" and I dislike it even more when it's combined with "left". You're either left or your not. There are degrees of "left", but what's intended by "illiberal" is not a degree, but something different. So it should be given a different name. For the same reason a variation of "liberal" is inappropriate as well in my opinion.

The people who did this were neither left or right or liberal or conservative. I mean, they probably were among those, but it's beside the point. It's like saying people who accept evolution as fact are atheists. Well, some are, but the two have nothing to do with each other. These people who carried out the violence are just assholes.

As for Milo, I never heard of him before this thread, but it strikes me as highly inappropriate for a university to allow him to speak on its property. Yeah, free speech and all, but that's not freedom to speak anywhere and universities have the right to say "go somewhere else".

Are you postulating they were apolitical? That seems more wrong than any possible alternative, so if not, what? Where on the spectrum do they lie? To me, they are clearly top-left on the standard compass, which is opposite of liberal (otherwise known as illiberal) and left. And so I, and others, would call them the illiberal left.

[Image: 543px-Political_chart.svg.png]

02-02-2017, 01:52 PM
(02-02-2017 01:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 01:28 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Why hasn't this guy been hit with a slander or libel suit yet?
If he's publicly harming an individual, isn't this grounds for a civil suit, at least?
If he's demonizing a group of people, isn't that considered hate speech?

I feel like he and some of the other alt-righters have been. Like that asshole who made the slander "documentaries" about Planned Parenthood and ACORN. He's been sued but just keeps coming back with the hate and lies and slander.

They've got defense against such things - they're fully prepared to go to jail "for what they believe" Rolleyes And write Mein Kampf part fucking 2a through 2z while they're at it. Fucken wankers.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-02-2017, 01:54 PM
(02-02-2017 01:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 01:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I feel like he and some of the other alt-righters have been. Like that asshole who made the slander "documentaries" about Planned Parenthood and ACORN. He's been sued but just keeps coming back with the hate and lies and slander.

They've got defense against such things - they're fully prepared to go to jail "for what they believe" Rolleyes And write Mein Kampf part fucking 2a through 2z while they're at it. Fucken wankers.

*Führer Wankers*

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
02-02-2017, 01:55 PM
(02-02-2017 01:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 01:29 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I dislike the term "illiberal" and I dislike it even more when it's combined with "left". You're either left or your not. There are degrees of "left", but what's intended by "illiberal" is not a degree, but something different. So it should be given a different name. For the same reason a variation of "liberal" is inappropriate as well in my opinion.

Are you postulating they were apolitical? That seems more wrong than any possible alternative, so if not, what? Where on the spectrum do they lie? To me, they are clearly top-left on the standard compass, which is opposite of liberal (otherwise known as illiberal) and left. And so I, and others, would call them the illiberal left.

Are you suggesting that you know what their political views are based solely on the observation that they rioted? You must be a clairvoyant!

-Rick
02-02-2017, 01:56 PM
(02-02-2017 01:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  

We can agree that they were on the authoritarian side of things. Other than that, unless you catch one of these masked folks, we know nothing.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-02-2017, 01:59 PM
(02-02-2017 01:54 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 01:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  They've got defense against such things - they're fully prepared to go to jail "for what they believe" Rolleyes And write Mein Kampf part fucking 2a through 2z while they're at it. Fucken wankers.

*Führer Wankers*

I... I... Oh...God!!!.... Heil Hitler! Blush

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-02-2017, 02:01 PM
(02-02-2017 01:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 01:54 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  *Führer Wankers*

I... I... Oh...God!!!.... Heil Hitler! Blush

Nein!

-Rick
02-02-2017, 02:02 PM
(02-02-2017 01:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 01:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Are you postulating they were apolitical? That seems more wrong than any possible alternative, so if not, what? Where on the spectrum do they lie? To me, they are clearly top-left on the standard compass, which is opposite of liberal (otherwise known as illiberal) and left. And so I, and others, would call them the illiberal left.

We can agree that they were on the authoritarian side of things. Other than that, unless you catch one of these masked folks, we know nothing.

We know they were anti-Trump. If Trump is on the authoritarian side (I say he is) then where else is there room for them? Either you claim a false-flag operation, or you admit they are on the left. There is nowhere else to go.