Illogical parents.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Illogical parents.....
So I just recently told my parents that I am atheist even though I've never believed any of this but being in the bible belt(Mississippi) you kinda can't say much at that age. Anyway I'm currently in the Air Force stationed in Maryland and have been for 3 years now. Since I've left home it's been a lot easier to just come out and say that I was an atheist. Now to the funny part. So since telling my parents they were first just ok then it really started to pick up these last few weeks. Last night I received 5 calls and 2 long winded voice-mails from my overly religious father. The entire voice-mail of the first basically went like this " Man there is a God, there has to be I mean you know there is one. I mean you have to believe because you'll die man. You just have to read more into man because you can't be successful without God man." So my immediate thought was wait did my dad just threaten me with death if I don't believe? That kind of ticked me off because what type of person threatens someone with death even if they aren't the ones doing the deed? I also have told them repeatedly that before I left for the military I attempted to actually be a good Christian and start reading for myself. Three reads of the bible(in its entirety) and loads of research later I realized "yep I'm an atheist". But although I've recently came to that realization I've never accepted the bs I was being spoon fed and through out my life I was successful so that proved my dad whole if you don't have God you can't be successful statement. Anyway I think the thing that hurts about all of this is that my dad is a wonderful and really intelligent person and I hate to see him so submissive to some being who is basically a tyrant cry baby. I really hope he reads the bible more himself and with an open mind rather than the its correct no matter what mindset.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like MrKrispy601's post
07-11-2013, 09:49 AM
RE: Illogical parents.....
(07-11-2013 07:27 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Anyway I think the thing that hurts about all of this is that my dad is a wonderful and really intelligent person and I hate to see him so submissive to some being who is basically a tyrant..

Yes, yes, and yes. I think many of us atheists feel the same way. Why can't others see through such an obvious fallacy? Why can't others, who are very intelligent people, not see the apparent evidence?
07-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Of course they find it difficult to accept.

You can't be an atheist and have a foxhole too!

tbh, I think you are going to have to simply live with this frustration. I assume you have no hopes of converting him, right?

07-11-2013, 02:37 PM
(07-11-2013 10:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Of course they find it difficult to accept.

You can't be an atheist and have a foxhole too!

tbh, I think you are going to have to simply live with this frustration. I assume you have no hopes of converting him, right?

Ya know I didn't actually have hopes of doing that but I just got off of the phone with him just now. I basically went into detail about how the bible is basically a rip off of previous religious books such as the Epic of Gilgamesh and all he could say was man now you got me thinking. I honestly think within the next year or two he'll at least be agnostic but I doubt he fully gives up the idea of an God.
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
07-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the fold, of both atheism and Military life. I myself am Air Force (SrA), stationed in South Carolina. If it's any consolation, this is a completely normal response from a parent. I've seen it on both mine, and my wife's side of the family.

It's good that you father will at least talk to you about it...my wife's mother has completely disowned us and has called CPS twice to try to force us to take our son to Church.

Don't get discouraged, and continue being rational and calm. Don't be confrontational, but at the same time, don't let them run you over.

Stay strong, PM me if you want any offline advice.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
07-11-2013, 11:26 PM
You have to understand that by rejecting their god you are rejecting them. Obviously they are committed to this absurd belief system of the invisible sky-daddy who can do everything but seems to do fucking nothing. They are going through the "where did we fail" routine. In truth, they did not fail but I doubt you'll ever get them to see that.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
08-11-2013, 01:38 AM
(07-11-2013 09:06 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  Welcome to the fold, of both atheism and Military life. I myself am Air Force (SrA), stationed in South Carolina. If it's any consolation, this is a completely normal response from a parent. I've seen it on both mine, and my wife's side of the family.

It's good that you father will at least talk to you about it...my wife's mother has completely disowned us and has called CPS twice to try to force us to take our son to Church.

Don't get discouraged, and continue being rational and calm. Don't be confrontational, but at the same time, don't let them run you over.

Seriously, your wife's mother called CPS because you don't take your son to Church? It never ceases to amaze me how crazy religion can make people. Sheesh
08-11-2013, 07:08 AM
(07-11-2013 09:06 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  Welcome to the fold, of both atheism and Military life. I myself am Air Force (SrA), stationed in South Carolina. If it's any consolation, this is a completely normal response from a parent. I've seen it on both mine, and my wife's side of the family.

Appreciate the support. I haven't told my girlfriends parents as well but she her self have been agnostic and asking question since college. Her parents are very very stuck in their ways not just religiously but in everything. They have actually disowned family for being gay so we know this won't go well at all. I think my biggest concern is that they won't listen after I say the phrase I'm an atheist. One thing I have noticed from my parents or anyone of faith is that as soon as stuff begins to make sense they get SCARED and I mean down right terrified hence why they get mad. I don't think it's you who they are mad at but themselves for possibly thinking that something they have based their entire lives on might be a sham. Just my thought on the matter though.
08-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Tell them you are a Gay Democrat converting to islam, wait a bit and then tell them you were were joking,
then "actually i'm an atheist", they will probably hug you.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
08-11-2013, 12:46 PM
(08-11-2013 09:56 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Tell them you are a Gay Democrat converting to islam, wait a bit and then tell them you were were joking,
then "actually i'm an atheist", they will probably hug you.

What's funny about that is my dad said and I quote "I think you being gay would be a easier pill to swallow" Undecided