Imaginary Time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Imaginary Time
Ok you science nerds. Here's your big chance to explain Imaginary Time to me so I actually understand it? Now keep in mind that I'm a total idiot when it comes to science and math so this will be quite the challenge to you. Tongue

I was reading a piece by Stephen Hawking about the Big Bang and he wrote about Imaginary Time. (I'm capitalizing it because it looks better that way.)

http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-beginning-of-time.html

Is this a better explanation for the beginning of time and the universe than any previous theory?

I'll be waiting for all your comments with bated breath. (Or even bad breath for that matter. ) Good luck guys. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2016, 08:55 PM
RE: Imaginary Time
It isn't something that I understand greatly but it looks like they are suggesting a second dimension of time. We all know about and live in the regular dimension of time that is past, present and future. Imaginary time would be a second dimension of time that we do not (normally, the article states) experience but which is there nonetheless.

They've introduced it to try and get around the boundary conditions imposed by the Big Bang. At the singularity everything breaks down using just our regular four dimensions. The laws of physics, math and even logic stop working. If the singularity only happens in our four dimensions of space-time but doesn't happen in the second time dimension then the laws of physics could go right on being applicable.

That would be nifty in that the term "Before the Big Bang" might actually have some meaning. If the laws of physics continued working that might mean that conditions before the Big Bang could have influenced the formation of the universe. It might also mean that we could peak inside of black holes if we could look along the right dimensions.

I'm not sure if it's a better cosmological model, I'm really not qualified to evaluate that. It does look like it might be able to get around the difficulty that singularities pose for conventional physics. Singularities are a pain in the arse because the physics and math stops making sense courtesy of all the equations going asymtopic. You have to hide them away behind event horizons in the ultimate cosmic sensorship. That causes problems too though. This might get around all that by letting you look along another dimension where the singularity isn't a point and doesn't get hidden.

Or that's what I got out of the article.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
24-01-2016, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2016 09:07 PM by Fireball.)
(24-01-2016 08:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Ok you science nerds. Here's your big chance to explain Imaginary Time to me so I actually understand it? Now keep in mind that I'm a total idiot when it comes to science and math so this will be quite the challenge to you. Tongue

I was reading a piece by Stephen Hawking about the Big Bang and he wrote about Imaginary Time. (I'm capitalizing it because it looks better that way.)

Is this a better explanation for the beginning of time and the universe than any previous theory?

I'll be waiting for all your comments with bated breath. (Or even bad breath for that matter. ) Good luck guys. Thumbsup

Imaginary time isn't quite like might you may consider it, based on this lecture. A lot of mathematics, physics and engineering rely on the imaginary numbers for solutions to problems. We can solve problems using imaginary numbers that can't be solved using real numbers. Say you want to know the cube root of eight. Everybody knows that 2 cubed (2X2X2) equals 8. However, there are two more solutions, but they require imaginary numbers, where the square root of negative 1 is required. If you don't want me to write out a lecture on it, I will understand. But suffice to say, we need another way to express some mathematics, and it is kind of unfortunate that the word "imaginary" got drafted to serve. This comes with a bit of the history of mathematics, where some people were dead set against the principle, and coined the term. It has gained wide acceptance and usage in the technical world. We literally wouldn't be able to generate electricity reliably without understanding imaginary numbers, for example. [/Physicist, though nowhere near Hawking in ability]
[+] 5 users Like Fireball's post
24-01-2016, 09:07 PM
[ignore reply. I made a mistake]

Mods, feel free to delete reply.
24-01-2016, 09:29 PM
(24-01-2016 09:02 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 08:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Ok you science nerds. Here's your big chance to explain Imaginary Time to me so I actually understand it? Now keep in mind that I'm a total idiot when it comes to science and math so this will be quite the challenge to you. Tongue

Imaginary time isn't quite like might you may consider it, based on this lecture. A lot of mathematics, physics and engineering rely on the imaginary numbers for solutions to problems. We can solve problems using imaginary numbers that can't be solved using real numbers. Say you want to know the cube root of eight. Everybody knows that 2 cubed (2X2X2) equals 8. However, there are two more solutions, but they require imaginary numbers, where the square root of negative 1 is required. If you don't want me to write out a lecture on it, I will understand. But suffice to say, we need another way to express some mathematics, and it is kind of unfortunate that the word "imaginary" got drafted to serve. This comes with a bit of the history of mathematics, where some people were dead set against the principle, and coined the term. It has gained wide acceptance and usage in the technical world. We literally wouldn't be able to generate electricity reliably without understanding imaginary numbers, for example. [/Physicist, though nowhere near Hawking in ability]

That was a very succinct explanation.

Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
24-01-2016, 09:35 PM
My niece has imaginary time too. Or is that pretend time? Kind of like religion, but more innocent.

Oh and Fireball, excellent post. Thumbsup

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-01-2016, 10:03 PM
(24-01-2016 09:29 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 09:02 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Imaginary time isn't quite like might you may consider it, based on this lecture. A lot of mathematics, physics and engineering rely on the imaginary numbers for solutions to problems. We can solve problems using imaginary numbers that can't be solved using real numbers. Say you want to know the cube root of eight. Everybody knows that 2 cubed (2X2X2) equals 8. However, there are two more solutions, but they require imaginary numbers, where the square root of negative 1 is required. If you don't want me to write out a lecture on it, I will understand. But suffice to say, we need another way to express some mathematics, and it is kind of unfortunate that the word "imaginary" got drafted to serve. This comes with a bit of the history of mathematics, where some people were dead set against the principle, and coined the term. It has gained wide acceptance and usage in the technical world. We literally wouldn't be able to generate electricity reliably without understanding imaginary numbers, for example. [/Physicist, though nowhere near Hawking in ability]

That was a very succinct explanation.

Heart

Thanks! The problem with physics is that its practitioners are expected to be concise. In the end, it ends up being a formula, and that makes it abstruse and recondite, thus not really approachable by lay people. Someone writes out a long explanation and lots of people climb on board with the explanation, and then act like they know it, without the skull sweat and sleepless nights. [/Rant] I'm happy that it made sense (?) without being overly wordy. It is a tough line. I taught physics for awhile, and if you think it is hard to "get", it's orders of magnitude harder to teach.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
24-01-2016, 10:05 PM
(24-01-2016 09:35 PM)Banjo Wrote:  My niece has imaginary time too. Or is that pretend time? Kind of like religion, but more innocent.

Oh and Fireball, excellent post. Thumbsup

"Would you like a nice mud cupcake, Uncle Banjo?". Tongue

And thanks. I try to make sure what I write makes sense.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
24-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Mmmmmm cupcake. Smile

Yes please.

I'll throw it at Pops. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
24-01-2016, 10:47 PM
(24-01-2016 09:02 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

So I'll ask one more startlingly dumb question. Is it possible that imaginary time may make the universe eternal?

runs away from science section

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.